Movies: Captain Marvel

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Heath Ledger's casting as the Joker was universally hated and caused a huge s**t storm among comic book fans/the internet.

And then the movie came out and the sentiment flipped 180*
Ledger was known as a pretty boy and not some Joker character, the teaser image of him in makeup looked confusing to many, and people thought of Joker as the Hamill or Nicholson type, hence the backlash.

What is the Brie Larson comparison in this instance? "She doesn't look like superhero material"? What? This in particular is a very strange casting to get concerned about, especially when it seems most Marvel casting choices have been at least either generally accepted or acknowledged as good.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Ledger was known as a pretty boy and not some Joker character, the teaser image of him in makeup looked confusing to many, and people thought of Joker as the Hamill or Nicholson type, hence the backlash.

What is the Brie Larson comparison in this instance? "She doesn't look like superhero material"? What? This in particular is a very strange casting to get concerned about, especially when it seems most Marvel casting choices have been at least either generally accepted or acknowledged as good.

The Joker is the most recognized comic book villain, and one of the most recognized fictional villains in the world. The casting of the Joker needs to be done very, very, very carefully, it wouldn't take much for the wrong person to be cast for the role. I have faith that they had their mind on what they wanted and picked Ledger when he auditioned..

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Social media embargo lifted, I've seen nothing but positive reviews.

I remain skeptical. Every movie with even a whiff a 'social justice' tint gets glowing reviews so I put no stock in them. This is Twitter's top promoted Tweet in their review round up....

None of that means anything. Its just the writer trying to communicate their personality through a film review.

I like the talk about the soundtrack though. This movie being extremely 90's is gonna make it hard to resist seeing on opening night.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I mean, every Marvel movie gets pretty much majority positive reviews. Not sure the social justice aspect plays into it at all.

Reactions: Huggy43

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I’m gonna get annoyed by all this “the mcu feels complete with carol in it” - as though a story can’t be told without representing everyone. I don’t see any brown people leading the charge but I don’t feel as though the mcu is incomplete without them.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I’m gonna get annoyed by all this “the mcu feels complete with carol in it” - as though a story can’t be told without representing everyone. I don’t see any brown people leading the charge but I don’t feel as though the mcu is incomplete without them.

Might just have something do with her being a long time Avenger in the comics...

Reactions: mattihp

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Well until the matter is more clarified, why should you assume she's making a social statement?
“Point 3:carols hero moment was very cathartic /true to the female experience imho”

That makes me take point 4 as a social statement. I can only go off what said in this 280 characters so if I’m wrong I’ll admit it but reading the points the way it’s laid out I do t believe so.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Why is that a social statement to you and not a reviewers assumption of a characters development?

I don’t see how it’s not.

How do you see a comment saying “true to the female experience”

How do you see that in relation to character development.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no issue with a female led super hero movie or anything I just get annoyed with people always feeling the need to be represented in every story and as though what has been a great story arc up to this point as somehow incomplete cause it’s missing a female character which is how I read her tweet.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Don’t get me wrong, I have no issue with a female led super hero movie or anything I just get annoyed with people always feeling the need to be represented in every story and as though what has been a great story arc up to this point as somehow incomplete cause it’s missing a female character which is how I read her tweet.

Well if she's a female reviewer and thus had personal experience, why shouldn't she relate to the character's on the screen?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Well if she's a female reviewer and thus had personal experience, why shouldn't she relate to the character's on the screen?

That’s fine and I agree but then her comment that the mcu is now more complete shouldn’t be viewed as her commenting as a female reporter.

Do you agree that there is a lot of commentary going around about captain marvel and finally a marvel female lead movie?

I view her comment as part of that commentary

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That’s fine and I agree but then her comment that the mcu is now more complete shouldn’t be viewed as her commenting as a female reporter.

Do you agree that there is a lot of commentary going around about captain marvel and finally a marvel female lead movie?

I view her comment as part of that commentary

No, because the only commentary I pay attention to and the kind that should matter is that this is the first female lead Marvel movie.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008

I would think it is a reference to the "men with boobs" trope, where women are made to be more masculine so they "fit" in an action-type role, and it is done to the point where the character's entire femininity or "female identity" is almost completely removed.

Not saying there can be no "men with boobs" examples in media, just that it is supposedly a thing.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
No, because the only commentary I pay attention to and the kind that should matter is that this is the first female lead Marvel movie.

There was elektra but I take it you speak more in terms of this current MCU; but this discussion will ever into politics and social justice stuff which is frowned upon here so we will have to agree to disagree on what the comment in her tweet is about

I would think it is a reference to the "men with boobs" trope, where women are made to be more masculine so they "fit" in an action-type role, and it is done to the point where the character's entire femininity or "female identity" is almost completely removed.

Not saying there can be no "men with boobs" examples in media, just that it is supposedly a thing.

I did not know this was a thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad