Movies: Captain Marvel

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The need for nerds to comment on how much of a fit someone is for a role based on nothing but trailers and looks is really pathetic. Let's see the movie, then pass judgment. I don't remember this whole "this actor doesn't do X enough/other actor Y would have been better" happening for any of the male stars.

I think that that says more about what you want to remember and want to accuse. To be honest, the need for some people to play the sexism card whenever criticism involves females is more disturbing (or, to use your term, "pathetic") than the pre-judgment that you're condemning, IMO.

I meant more for the superhero stuff but fair point.

"Keaton's casting [as Batman in Batman (1989)] caused a controversy among comic book fans, with 50,000 protest letters sent to Warner Bros. offices. Bob Kane, Sam Hamm and Michael Uslan also heavily questioned the casting. 'Obviously there was a negative response from the comic book people. I think they thought we were going to make it like the 1960s TV series, and make it campy, because they thought of Michael Keaton from Mr. Mom and Night Shift and stuff like that.'"

"Affleck's casting [as Batman in Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice] caused significant backlash from comic book fans, with multiple online petitions demanding his removal from the role; unlike previous Batman actors, he was not considered intimidating enough for the role by the protesters."

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Still looks fine.

If this weren't the lead in to The Avengers I probably wouldn't see it in theatres since I don't know/care about the main character (I skipped Dr. Strange and the Guardians movies for the same reason) but with Avengers right around the corner I will definitely see it. Probably opening night.

Hoping its good. The trailers don't do a ton for me, but hopefully that just means they are making an effort to keep the story under wraps.

And I still hate that shield hat. That isn't a 90's style baseball cap at all. It looks like they went down to the New Era store yesterday and had them stitch the logo onto a hat off the shelf. Nobody except for MLB players wore fitted hats back then.

How do you know SHIELD didn't come up with them in the first place? ;)

69dabb1085295344-jpg.19029

DwV_un4W0AAeGqK.jpg:large

Reactions: NyQuil

Backhandbeauty

Dec 28, 2018
Still looks fine.

If this weren't the lead in to The Avengers I probably wouldn't see it in theatres since I don't know/care about the main character (I skipped Dr. Strange and the Guardians movies for the same reason) but with Avengers right around the corner I will definitely see it. Probably opening night.

Hoping its good. The trailers don't do a ton for me, but hopefully that just means they are making an effort to keep the story under wraps.

And I still hate that shield hat. That isn't a 90's style baseball cap at all. It looks like they went down to the New Era store yesterday and had them stitch the logo onto a hat off the shelf. Nobody except for MLB players wore fitted hats back then.
Fitted hats were huge then. My friends and I had tons of them in junior high through highschool in the mid 90s.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Still looks fine.

And what style baseball caps do you think we had in the 90s? Mine were all fitted...

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
And what style baseball caps do you think we had in the 90s? Mine were all fitted...

ditto

your hats weren't sh*t if they werent either:

a. fitted

b. those white college hats with the bars

c. a black Raiders (early 90s) or a Yankees (late 90s)

TFio3FXiD7Z2BvYz0pcikh1uHycXwVs5KYBCvnYalTg.jpg

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They've actually done a decent job with casting Batman.

Keaton, Bale and yes, even Affleck, have all pulled off the Caped Crusader.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
This is what 90's hats looked like prior to like 1996, 1997'ish. Fitted hats were extremely uncommon until late in the decade.

la-1512109111-ew3xhywr3t-snap-image

Reactions: HFBCommenter

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Jesus Christ, this is what the internet is for.

A roundtable discussion on the assessment of whether fitted caps in a movie trailer are an anachronism.

I liked the line about "SHIELD inventing fitted caps".

Well done, you.

It's the "transparent aluminum" defence.

In any event, they had fitted caps in the 90s. It was height of "Starter" fashion when everyone was wearing Bulls, Raiders, Kings, Hornets, Sharks, Rockies, Marlins gear and I had a fitted Hornets hat to look cool.

This would have been around 1991-1992.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sucks they changed his name from Chewie to Goose. You'd think they would keep Chewie considering Star Wars belongs to Disney also now.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Goose is meant to be a Top Gun reference right?

I wonder if Top Gun exists in the MCU and its a super popular movie at the time of Captain Marvel.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Closest I have come to seeing Top Gun the movie is going on Top Gun the ride at Canada's Wonderland.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

You forgot the best Batman of them all....

....Clooney.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

I really wasn't a fan of Bale as Batman

I think Affleck has done a great job though

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Heath Ledger's casting as the Joker was universally hated and caused a huge s**t storm among comic book fans/the internet.

And then the movie came out and the sentiment flipped 180*

I wasn't very active online back then so I guess I missed it.

I mean I didn't even know who Heath Ledger was before The Dark Knight :laugh:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I wasn't very active online back then so I guess I missed it.

I mean I didn't even know who Heath Ledger was before The Dark Knight :laugh:

You also missed the other 5 examples proving your whining “female superheroes get more scrutiny than male superheroes” nonsense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad