Post-Game Talk: Caps win 5-4 in SO

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
Scheifele had easily his best game as a Jet. The kid has talent, Noel trusted him late...just watch him build on this.

Wheeler also had his breakout game. I expect to see more of that going forward.

We deserved to win, but got a point. We will be competitive if we play like this going forward.

Not unless the Jets trade for a better goaltender.

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
dq5k4p7.png

:laugh:

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
I was and so was others on this board in favor of finding a 1B to give pavs competition this last off season. You can't play this guy 70+ games and expect to make the playoffs. He just isn't good enough. They really need to play Monty more. I'm not sure why the reluctance to do this since Monty has 2 SO since being a Jet, was 3-1 I believe last year. is 1.0 this year. I just don't get it. Pavs is now 3-5-1 and all his stats are trending downwards as usual.

Montoya better get the start the next game. Even Noel can't start Pavelec after that, right?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I was and so was others on this board in favor of finding a 1B to give pavs competition this last off season. You can't play this guy 70+ games and expect to make the playoffs. He just isn't good enough. They really need to play Monty more. I'm not sure why the reluctance to do this since Monty has 2 SO since being a Jet, was 3-1 I believe last year. is 1.0 this year. I just don't get it. Pavs is now 3-5-1 and all his stats are trending downwards as usual.

Pavs must have compromising pictures of Noel either that or Montoya killed Noel's cat, that's the only explanation.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The real sad part is that you have a coach preaching accountability, the players respond, and the goalie who has played poorly for several games in a row is the only guy who has a letdown. The other goalie has a shutout in the only game he's played. Accountability.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele is super talented. He second guesses himself a lot, and is certainly extremely weak in battles. But he could be a stud

Joker had a great game

I think tonight we got the first real glimpse of what Scheifele can become playing with 2 guys with speed, and playing with confidence. Yeah he is not a full grown man yet, but he works hard, has talent and a great attitude.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The real sad part is that you have a coach preaching accountability, the players respond, and the goalie who has played poorly for several games in a row is the only guy who has a letdown. The other goalie has a shutout in the only game he's played. Accountability.

'something is rotten in Denmark' if Monty doesn't start next game.

White Out 403*

I loved Scheifelle's game. I was hard on him so far but he was very dangerous today and hard working. Props.

wilty00

May 15, 2007
Kelowna/Winnipeg
Great game. Very frustrating, but there's alot of positive things coming out of tonight going forward.

Jokinen was fantastic tonight. Great backchecking, nice patience in the offensive zone. Did all the right things tonight.

Scheifele fought hard tonight when alot of things weren't going his way. Great backcheck and well earned point leading to the Wheeler goal.

Bogosian... don't really know what to think about his play tonight and this season as a whole. I don't want to believe he's mailing it in after the contract but he just doesn't have the same "stuff" as he does when he's playing at his peak. Very lacksadaisical play.

Byfuglien is just an absolute monster. Can you imagine someone with his physical tools having the drive to win of a guy like Evander Kane? He'd be a top player in the league no doubt about it.

Pavelec... sigh. Heard this tune before. I've spent the better part of two years defending the guy and he keeps finding new ways to dissapoint me and prove everyone else correct. I really do like the guy but he can't keep getting outplayed by the guy on the other end night in night out or we're going to have to figure out a different direction to go in. I really hope he does turn it around.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think tonight we got the first real glimpse of what Scheifele can become playing with 2 guys with speed, and playing with confidence. Yeah he is not a full grown man yet, but he works hard, has talent and a great attitude.

Yup. I've stopped discussing Scheifele because I'm tired of arguing. I truly believe he'll eventually calm down, get used to the speed of the NHL game, and start producing. You can already see it with his awareness on the ice, his passes, etc - always thinking.

Once he gains a bit more confidence, I think he'll start potting goals as well - he's got a VERY strong shot.

But: I don't feel like getting into arguments right now, so I'll be quiet. ;)

fmax

Jun 11, 2011
Winnipeg
Noels reward system puzzles me.
Montoya had a shutout while Pav's lets in a consistent 3 to 4 goals a game.
It's not just the shutout, Monty played composed and limited the rebounds whereas Pavelec flops around and over commits way too much.
Sure Pav's makes the highlight reel saves but he doesn't make the saves when we need them the most.
Put Montoya in for the next couple and see what happens.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Scoring chances were 25-14 in favour of Jets. Score was 4-4.

For comparison, last game chances were 10-9 against the Jets.

Every Jets fan, and especially the media, need to read and digest this post. Everyone was so ****ing doom and gloom after last game and we got outchanced by one. This comparison shows how much more we dominated this game than we got dominated last game. And yes it's about wins and losses but you can really only focus on the process and if you do that, the wins and losses will eventually take care of themselves (as the stats guys will hopefully attest).

This game was a huge step forward for everyone not named Pavelec.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Great game. Very frustrating, but there's alot of positive things coming out of tonight going forward.

Jokinen was fantastic tonight. Great backchecking, nice patience in the offensive zone. Did all the right things tonight.

Scheifele fought hard tonight when alot of things weren't going his way. Great backcheck and well earned point leading to the Wheeler goal.

Bogosian... don't really know what to think about his play tonight and this season as a whole. I don't want to believe he's mailing it in after the contract but he just doesn't have the same "stuff" as he does when he's playing at his peak. Very lacksadaisical play.

Byfuglien is just an absolute monster. Can you imagine someone with his physical tools having the drive to win of a guy like Evander Kane? He'd be a top player in the league no doubt about it.

Pavelec... sigh. Heard this tune before. I've spent the better part of two years defending the guy and he keeps finding new ways to dissapoint me and prove everyone else correct. I really do like the guy but he can't keep getting outplayed by the guy on the other end night in night out or we're going to have to figure out a different direction to go in. I really hope he does turn it around.

I'm wondering if Bogo is still somewhat injured, doesn't seem to get any zip on his point shot any more, I remember him having a booming shot in the first Jets season.

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
It's not just the shutout, Monty played composed and limited the rebounds whereas Pavelec flops around and over commits way too much.
Sure Pav's makes the highlight reel saves but he doesn't make the saves when we need them the most.

EXACTLY! I say roll the dice on Montoya and see how far he can take us. Who knows, he may turn into our #1.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Noel didn't talk about the elephant in the room during his presser (the only negative thing he said was they should have buried more chances in the second). This wouldn't be a big deal as the coach doesn't need to say everything publically but it worries me that Noel is still high on the Pavelec kool-aid and won't give Monty a start in the next game

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Yup. I've stopped discussing Scheifele because I'm tired of arguing. I truly believe he'll eventually calm down, get used to the speed of the NHL game, and start producing. You can already see it with his awareness on the ice, his passes, etc - always thinking.

Once he gains a bit more confidence, I think he'll start potting goals as well - he's got a VERY strong shot.

But: I don't feel like getting into arguments right now, so I'll be quiet. ;)

Every game he's played with Kane on his wing they've created offensive chances. If anything, Schiefele's strong play in his own end and the neutral zone is a good sign. The red lights will come.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Pavs is also a nightmare to play with for the D because he is so poor in his puck handling and management. He doesn't need to be Brodeur, but he is so weak and isn't improving at all. It indicates to me that he just doesn't work on his game enough, which means that we probably aren't going to see him improve in the future. That's the most depressing thing.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
well I said I'm never discussing goaltending on this forum again so

wow fun game

wheels best by 6 country miles

top 2 lines were great other than a pretty sloppy start from ladd

D core was solid except for Bogo who's still struggling

As poor as I though Bogo played he looked like a Norris winner compared to Green - HOLY CRAP HE WAS AWFUL #SayNoToTeamCanada

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Great game. Except pavs.. I have been nuetral with him so far but that was all on him. You have a team that plays there hearts out for 65 miniutes, and scores 3 in a row in the shoot out and you still loose. It just can't happen. Really wish you could put Montoya in for the shoot out. It was stupid of me to think after the 3rd jet so goal that there was no way we could loose, but hey, what do you know.

First time in a while that I have been that impressed with the jets for almost a full 60 miniutes. Keep it up and I think we will do okay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad