Post-Game Talk: Caps win 5-4 in SO

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Everyone has already touched on the main point in this thread, I agree, and I'm not going to beat the horse to death. I'm glad Peluso is looking confident and comfortable out there, because he is a beast for puck possession. Also loving Joker's shootout move! Super slick.

As for Bogo: I'm not worried about him. He's been having some bad puck luck in the beginning of the season, but you can tell he wants to play the right way: calm and collected, cool with the puck. It'll come back for him, and we'll be laughing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Noel didn't talk about the elephant in the room during his presser (the only negative thing he said was they should have buried more chances in the second). This wouldn't be a big deal as the coach doesn't need to say everything publically but it worries me that Noel is still high on the Pavelec kool-aid and won't give Monty a start in the next game

I wouldn't want Noel to dump on Pavs, any more than any other player. But I think it's particularly unwise to criticize the goalie because it might really rattle the confidence.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Great game. Very frustrating, but there's alot of positive things coming out of tonight going forward.

Jokinen was fantastic tonight. Great backchecking, nice patience in the offensive zone. Did all the right things tonight.

Scheifele fought hard tonight when alot of things weren't going his way. Great backcheck and well earned point leading to the Wheeler goal.

Bogosian... don't really know what to think about his play tonight and this season as a whole. I don't want to believe he's mailing it in after the contract but he just doesn't have the same "stuff" as he does when he's playing at his peak. Very lacksadaisical play.

Byfuglien is just an absolute monster. Can you imagine someone with his physical tools having the drive to win of a guy like Evander Kane? He'd be a top player in the league no doubt about it.

Pavelec... sigh. Heard this tune before. I've spent the better part of two years defending the guy and he keeps finding new ways to dissapoint me and prove everyone else correct. I really do like the guy but he can't keep getting outplayed by the guy on the other end night in night out or we're going to have to figure out a different direction to go in. I really hope he does turn it around.

Except he lead all defenseman in minutes and was +2 on the night. I don't know what people expect. For the most part he was rock solid. He will never bring Buff's offense but **** we would have a gaping hole without him.

Gotmilt*

Jun 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe if Ladd could hit the damn net or we had someone like ovechkin who could finish we would have won this game

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I wouldn't want Noel to dump on Pavs, any more than any other player. But I think it's particularly unwise to criticize the goalie because it might really rattle the confidence.

This is the reason you don't do it. That is obvious, but he has to do something.

White Out 403*

Also a shame we couldn't finish off any of about half a dozen great scoring chances in the second period, which would have made Pavelec's so-so performance a moot point.

Pavelec was so-so tonight in your eyes? Define so-so for me please.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Jets-bench-October-22-2013-300x200.jpg

Jets audio: Kane, Little, Wheeler, Setoguchi & Scheifele.

To listen click here.

Caps-bench-October-22-2013-300x200.jpg

Caps audio: Coach Oates, Holtby, Ovechkin, Alzner and Brouwer.

To listen click here.

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Here's a depressing stat:

The goalie with .901 save % will start 74 games at this rate
The goalie with a shutout in one game is will start 8 games at this rate

#onlyInWinnipeg

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
People are really blowing Montoya's one game way out of proportion. I mean, NJ has ONE win this year.

Montoya was solid last year too and had a shutout. And he was a starting goalie before his concussion. He has earned more starts.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Maybe if Ladd could hit the damn net or we had someone like ovechkin who could finish we would have won this game

Ladd wasn't the only Jet that missed his chances, a lot of poor finishers on the Jets and some plain bad luck tonight.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

I understand that and usually it won't be a problem, I guess I was just looking for some sign that Noel acknowledges Pavs' gamplay and might give Montoya a shot

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Pavelec was so-so tonight in your eyes? Define so-so for me please.

"Okay", other than the shootout. His best chance to stop one of the goals was when Ovechkin came in on him all alone, which I think pretty much sums up how "bad" Pavelec was (i.e. not very). I can't really fault him on any of the other goals and he made some solid saves. He didn't adjust in the shootout, which is too bad. I don't understand why we choose to go first in the shootout (if it's a choice) when that puts the pressure on our goalie who is already not the greatest at shootouts.

fmax

Jun 11, 2011
Winnipeg
People are really blowing Montoya's one game way out of proportion. I mean, NJ has ONE win this year.

To be fair Montoya played better in that one game than Pavelec has all season.
What's deceiving about Pavelec is that he will make an unbelievable save or two and make some people forget about the 2 or 3 stinkers he lets in right after.

Last edited:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

Maybe, but we have heard this song and dance from Noel the last couple years. Yeah, we want to play our backup more this year. Remember hearing that last year and Montoya got..what? 3 starts total?!? This year he has played a grand total of one game and Noel has already played Pavs in both games of a back-to-back when it was clear last year he sucks playing in those situations. GRRRRR. Heard the same thing in the preseason..we want to play the backup more. Oh yeah, Noel? Then do it already.

I get the impression that the only way our backup will get more than 15 games this season is if Pavs is injured. One can only hope....:sarcasm:

Last edited:

White Out 403*

"Okay", other than the shootout. His best chance to stop one of the goals was when Ovechkin came in on him all alone, which I think pretty much sums up how "bad" Pavelec was (i.e. not very). I can't really fault him on any of the other goals and he made some solid saves. He didn't adjust in the shootout, which is too bad. I don't understand why we choose to go first in the shootout (if it's a choice) when that puts the pressure on our goalie who is already not the greatest at shootouts.

He was below 900 save%, and stopped almost 7 in 10 scoring chances, and the opposing goaltender made more saves and more difficult saves. If this is "average" or "so-so" could you describe to me, in your world, what a poor game looks like? So not even a bad or terrible game. Just a poor or mediocre game. I am genuinely fascinated to hear this.

bazaaa*

Holtby made some good saves but three of the goals he let in would have spawned endless pages of Pavalec hate if he had let them in.
Every goal scored on the Jets is because of bad goaltending, every goal the Jets score is because it was a great shot and was deserved.

Exactly. That Clitsome goal was a brutal shot.
However, I'm a Pavs supporter and from the highlights I saw, he looked pretty bad today. The one goal where he steered it away and it hit bogo was bad luck, but rest were pretty bad.
Little was at fault that one goal too, trying to take off with the puck before makign sure it was out. Then had the chance to tie up one of the players and sat there and coasted. The guy he should have been tying up, scored.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011

What's the harm in giving him a chance, though? I'm not one of the people saying he's a great goalie himself, but you have to give someone else a look at this point.

If Pavelec actually gets sat in favor of the backup and not because the coach thinks he's tired and giving him a break then maybe it will light a fire. You can't really get any worse from here, there's not much harm in starting Montoya.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario

We actually almost do, in the person of Bryan Little. Seems to be the one guy that can hit the net and put it away pretty reliably when he gets the chance. Even missing in the shootout he was really close, not like some of the other guys' misses. Same with that one in-all-alone shot that he didn't score on ... still a really great shot. Plus two he didn't miss. An impressive night for him.

bazaaa*

Usually don't agree with you, but I agree 100%. NJ is one of the worst offensive teams int he league. Montoya was out of position numerous times and didn't know where the puck was numerous times. He could have easily let in 4 goals that game.
Jets fans are painful.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Also a shame we couldn't finish off any of about half a dozen great scoring chances in the second period, which would have made Pavelec's so-so performance a moot point.

Yeah, the offense could have done better. They could have put up 60 shots and 10 goals!

I usually try to defend Pavelec whenever possible, but there was no defending his performance tonight. He crapped the bed, plain and simple.

A goal is a goal. I realize that none of the goals he allowed were softies per se, but you need a big save here and there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->