Post-Game Talk: Caps win 5-4 in SO

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, Wash stole one tonight. Wheeler, Little, Buff all A+ games tonight. Like him or not, I think we can all agree that Pavs needs to be better.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I am just going to post the stats for all you pav lovers.

Saved 28/32 for a save percentage of 0.875

while holtby on the other hand,

saved 43/47 for a save percentage of 0.915

I don't hate pav, I just have higher expectations.

Scoring chances were 25-14 in favour of Jets. Score was 4-4.

For comparison, last game chances were 10-9 against the Jets.

For the shot quality group.

Holtby saved 84% of scoring chances.
Pavelec saved 71%.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Not even going after Pavs mediocre stats, sometimes he just needs to be better than the goalie at the other end of the rink. Honestly the only time he's done that this season IMO was against Dubnikov and Quick (which probably won't be the case next time around). Hard to make the playoffs when you have the 2nd best goalie on the ice in most games.

That's just the reality of where the Jets are. It's not an excuse for the poor team play for the majority of the young season, but Pavelec just isn't good enough.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Ill say it again. We are stuck with Pavs for 3 more years cause his contract sucks. Find a damn goalie coach that can teach him something.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
Lots of A games: Ladd, Little, Wheeler,

Team let down by one player! We all know who!:rant:

I know Peluso had so many chances right?! :sarcasm:

Seriously though I already said it... I would have benched Pav in the second. Going back to the shoot out against the Devils, I have no idea why Montoya hasn't had a start since.

I am as big a Pav fan as anyone on this board, but I just never felt he had his A game tonight, not for a minute.

White Out 403*

Ill say it again. We are stuck with Pavs for 3 more years cause his contract sucks. Find a damn goalie coach that can teach him something.

Why do we have to be stuck with him? We can't possibly do any worse. And I mean that statistically. Sign Bryzgalov and name a park after him for all I care. If the Jets, their management, and owners are serious about making the playoffs it wont be with 31 in net. We need to do better.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Not even going after Pavs mediocre stats, sometimes he just needs to be better than the goalie at the other end of the rink. Honestly the only time he's done that this season IMO was against Dubnikov and Quick (which probably won't be the case next time around). Hard to make the playoffs when you have the 2nd best goalie on the ice in most games.

That's just the reality of where the Jets are. It's not an excuse for the poor team play for the majority of the young season, but Pavelec just isn't good enough.

With an average goaltender the Jets would be 6-4 this season!

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Great goaltending wins games... Minus the shootout Holtby was outstanding.

When you outshoot/outchance a team that badly i dont know how you can lose. I mean in regulation... who cares about how the shootout went honestly

Holtby made some good saves but three of the goals he let in would have spawned endless pages of Pavalec hate if he had let them in.
Every goal scored on the Jets is because of bad goaltending, every goal the Jets score is because it was a great shot and was deserved.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele had easily his best game as a Jet. The kid has talent, Noel trusted him late...just watch him build on this.

Wheeler also had his breakout game. I expect to see more of that going forward.

We deserved to win, but got a point. We will be competitive if we play like this going forward.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

How will that help if Pavs doesn't commit himself to working on his game? He is still very poor in several aspects of the modern goaltender's game. He isn't improving, indicating that he isn't working at it.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Holtby made some good saves but three of the goals he let in would have spawned endless pages of Pavalec hate if he had let them in.
Every goal scored on the Jets is because of bad goaltending, every goal the Jets score is because it was a great shot and was deserved.

Shots were 47-32 for the Jets, who do you think came up with the big saves?

White Out 403*

At the risk of getting an infraction I have to answer this post with utter honesty and hope people take it at face value and nothing more.

This post is a head in the sand argument that is simply ignoring the data. You're creating a strawman. The fact is that Pavs wasn't facing nearly 50 shots, Holtby did. This isn't some giant personal vendetta people have against him to the point where were saying ridiculous things to discredit pavelec. He just isn't good enough. He's a backup goaltender that Chevy rolled the dice on and we came up snakeeyes.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I was and so was others on this board in favor of finding a 1B to give pavs competition this last off season. You can't play this guy 70+ games and expect to make the playoffs. He just isn't good enough. They really need to play Monty more. I'm not sure why the reluctance to do this since Monty has 2 SO since being a Jet, was 3-1 I believe last year. is 1.0 this year. I just don't get it. Pavs is now 3-5-1 and all his stats are trending downwards as usual.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Scoring chances were 25-14 in favour of Jets.

Holtby wasn't Jesus-incarnit in the net but goalies don't normally face 25 scoring chances.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
At the risk of getting an infraction I have to answer this post with utter honesty and hope people take it at face value and nothing more.

This post is a head in the sand argument that is simply ignoring the data. You're creating a strawman. The fact is that Pavs wasn't facing nearly 50 shots, Holtby did. This isn't some giant personal vendetta people have against him to the point where were saying ridiculous things to discredit pavelec. He just isn't good enough. He's a backup goaltender that Chevy rolled the dice on and we came up snakeeyes.

:handclap: in Chevy's defence he signed a goalie who looked to be on the upswing, he isn't, I don't see any improvement in Pavs game since the 11-12 season.

Reed Solomon

GO ✈'s GO
Jul 26, 2011
Winnipeg, Man.
dq5k4p7.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad