Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Draisaitl is that kind of player you make space on your roster for.

The Oilers are in the win now, 'Cup or bust' mode, trading a player who has 50 points in last 28 playoff games is idiotic unless he explicitly, repeatedly says he won't re-sign for any money. Money itself won't be an issue IMO, as the cap is going up, and I doubt Leon will sign for the salary much higher than McDavid's. Moving a prime core player is a signal of a rebuild, which is impossible with McDavid on the roster, so they would look to exchange Drai for multiple impact roster players, not prospects.

Obviously, if one of the major free agents hits the FA market, the Caps are in a fantastic shape for an arms race (moreover, they will have the cap space to sign a high-profile free agent next year as well, with Oshie's contract running out and no significant raises expected except for McMichael).

But a superstar of this caliber also covets a championship. We can only lure Draisaitl (or Reinhart) if the team is on the obvious upswing and it looks that our chances to win the Cup will grow in the years following.

This chase may be more important than it looks.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The auto refresh is terrible and the amount of ads/pop ups on my phone almost renders this msg board unusable except for laptop.If anyone has any Adblock-type apps that work well for this board on mobile, let me know.

I don’t have any issues at all using Safari on my iPhone. I’m running iOS 17 if that helps.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
What would the price for Draisatl be with 1 year left and resign with us?

Edmonton would want to stay competitive. So I guess you start with Strome who is on a steal of a contract to have a 2nd C then you probably have to add one of the young NHL ready guys in Lapierre/McMichael and aslo a young dman in Fehervary/Sandin.

For example Strome+Lapierre+Fehervary would have the same cap hit as Draisatl next year.

If we compare to Eichel who had way more question marks because of surgery then he cost a good NHL winger in Tuch, a 1st, a 2nd and Krebs who where a young talent around McMichael's value at that point in time (21/22 season). That package would mean McMichael, 2022 1st (Miroschnichenko), 2023 2nd (Cristall) and Wilson.

Then Draisatl is worth more and Edmonton dont want futures like Krebs, 1st and 2nd.

So I would love Draisatl on the team, but dont like the cost to aquire him unless it is as a free agent.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The auto refresh is terrible and the amount of ads/pop ups on my phone almost renders this msg board unusable except for laptop.If anyone has any Adblock-type apps that work well for this board on mobile, let me know.
It’s like $1 a month to get an ad-free version of this forum. The experience is significantly enhanced

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I installed/use the Brave browser on my phone specifically for HF Boards. It cuts out all of the ads automatically, no additional adblock-esque apps required. It's the only option I've found that makes the mobile version of this site usable. (That said, the main issue with Brave is that the owner is a major POS, so yeah...)

Reactions: StrikingDistance

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Why do you say this? He's entering the last year of his deal and will command ~$14M on his next contract. McDavid needs a new contract, too, and Drai hates living in Edmonton so he may decide he wants to hit FA.

At that point it would behoove Ken Holland to move him and get assets back. But even then, Drai only has a 10 team trade list & not every team on it would be able to absorb his cap hit (on top of sending assets for him) so the market would have some constraints.
Problem is, Oilers continue to be in the hunt. Imagine the demonization of trading Drai at TDL. I don’t believe that will happen unless they really suck next year and sell off more dramatically. Or it could happen in the offseason this summer depending on how they fare in the playoffs this year. Early exit and i could see them trading him. Go deep or win and they will try and run it back and likely we could target him as a Free Agent signing.

He is 28 now. So he is a trade candidate for 7 year extension in offseason, I would consider but it would cost a lot. Not sure I would want to meet their price. Rather wait and see if he becomes a FA given our trajectory right now. I prefer Sam Reinhart. :)

Reactions: CapsSkins

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Problem is, Oilers continue to be in the hunt. Imagine the demonization of trading Drai at TDL. I don’t believe that will happen unless they really suck next year and sell off more dramatically. Or it could happen in the offseason this summer depending on how they fare in the playoffs this year. Early exit and i could see them trading him. Go deep or win and they will try and run it back and likely we could target him as a Free Agent signing.

He is 28 now. So he is a trade candidate for 7 year extension in offseason, I would consider but it would cost a lot. Not sure I would want to meet their price. Rather wait and see if he becomes a FA given our trajectory right now. I prefer Sam Reinhart. :)
I would stay away from Sam Reinhart. He's a career 15% shooter on a heater (25.8% currently). I compare him to Nazem Kadri, who hit a career high in points two seasons ago and hasn't been close to repeating that since.

(not that Sam is a bad player - I just think he's going to be paid like a 50 goal, 100 point player when he's more of a 30 goal, 70 points player).

Reactions: DWGie26

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Reinhart is a great player, elsewhere propably a 40-40 guy. But he's either taking reasonable money to stay or sign a huge offer elsewhere. I think he gets 10+ on an open market but he's not really worth that. Especially long-term.

Look at how many PP goals he has this season. Look at the PP spot he plays. It's that Oshie spot but a bit closer to the net. Being there with Verhaeghe as the threat on the other side being fed by Tkachuk and Barkov is a pretty good spot to be in. He's at 18 ESG. 27 (!) goals on the PP.

Nice timing to have a year like that but someone is going to regret that contract if it goes above 10m.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006

The auto refresh isn’t HF specific, same thing happens to me when I’m on other sites. I think it has to do with the amount of bullshit running in the background, of which HF has a SHIT TON.

This place is also loaded with malware, I refuse to use my laptop to visit, phone only. Even with antivirus protection, pop up blockers and anti malware stuff…my PC would get corrupted. Since I’ve stopped using it for this place….runs smooth as silk.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
The auto refresh isn’t HF specific, same thing happens to me when I’m on other sites. I think it has to do with the amount of bullshit running in the background, of which HF has a SHIT TON.

This place is also loaded with malware, I refuse to use my laptop to visit, phone only. Even with antivirus protection, pop up blockers and anti malware stuff…my PC would get corrupted. Since I’ve stopped using it for this place….runs smooth as silk.

Never encounter auto refresh except here. Yes, this website has a tons of stuff running on it which makes my phone battery drop ~25% in 5 minutes of use. My laptop is loaded with all the AV/Ad Blockers so no problems for me...except the bestiality websites.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I not sure I would bring in the highest paid player in the league. It failed poorly with Jagr and would not want that on our young players. Leonard is going to be our big add very soon. Maybe in days if his season ends

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad