Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Still old. Not sure a scrapheap rebuild (Strome, Milano, Sandin, Phillips) is the ticket. It's the most resourceful way of balancing it but hard to go year after year without meaningful needle-movers via the draft. Maybe this is McMichael's year...but all-around I'm not significantly sold. He needs more jam to develop into a stud.

I'm intrigued by Carbery's zeal for process but to what extent can the core learn new tricks? To what extent can the secondary cast step up? Their defensive game in particular is where I wonder if a combination of declining athleticism and so-so IQ aren't competitive curtains. It's not as though any of their younger players are physical horses to refine further so it remains a pretty limited, fluffy mix. Carbery should be able to manage more out of them offensively but will they just give it right back? A healthy Backstrom helps but it's still tough to expect them to tighten up enough. They're not going to want to get into track meets. That's where the league is headed but they've got to find ways to leverage their experience into a positive. Much of that comes down to discipline, consistency and structure. They're probably not going to be able to just rally at will so a lot comes down to simply not shooting themselves in the foot. Historically...not something they're great at avoiding.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Dear new season,

Don't let the Caps be kcufing suck this year

Sincerely,
At least a handful of us, maybe more
suck.gif

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Seems like Vancouver has been struggling to move Garland, I wonder if that's an option for the Mantha trade.

He's got a few more years but it does give them a decent amount of wiggle room with the cap this year.

Reactions: Monsterrain

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Seems like Vancouver has been struggling to move Garland, I wonder if that's an option for the Mantha trade.

He's got a few more years but it does give them a decent amount of wiggle room with the cap this year.
Vancouver seems to scouring for defensemen and more specifically, RHD. I’m not sure what a Mantha trade does for them except get them out of two more years of Garland’s contract. I’d certainly be open to swapping Mantha for Garland but I don’t know what the add would be to make it make sense. Don’t see Washington adding TvR or Jensen to the deal. Maybe Alexeyev excites them? Believe he played mostly RD for Red Deer.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Columbus and Vancouver make a deal. Columbus has too many RHD and could use someone like Garland.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00