Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I not sure I would bring in the highest paid player in the league. It failed poorly with Jagr and would not want that on our young players. Leonard is going to be our big add very soon. Maybe in days if his season ends
I’ve thought about it, and I think you’re right. It could upset the applecart.

I’d love an 8m forward, and an 8m d-man. One of each. Forward replaces Pacioretty, and the defensemen would arguably replace Jensen or TVR.

Obviously you cannot say the team would be “set” or anything silly like that. But they would be a fun, fast, exciting/winning team. Who could do a little damage.

If they play their cards right, that could be as soon as next year.

Dare we say that GMBM may have threaded that proverbial “needle” that we were all talking about, with this retool on the fly?

I’m not 100% sold yet, but it’s sure looking good!

Last edited:

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
According to money puck, the Capitals now have a 66% chance of making the playoffs.

The Penguins have a 1.3% chance of making the playoffs.
Haha what a bunch of losers!
IMG_7597.gif

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
“they really miss Milano”

Something I thought I’d say, never?

But they do. He hands and skill (and speed) are very complimentary to the rest of the team.

He and Wilson coming back makes this team pretty complete, forwards wise (sitting Sgarbossa and NAK).

Just keep the minutes drain, HJ45, out of the lineup (11F & 7D if so).

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Have been really impressed with Malenstyn. He’s like a hybrid Hagelin/Chimera though I don’t think he’ll ever sniff Chimera’s offensive production. He’s really, really good at protecting the pucks along the boards, especially below the hashmarks, to help keep the cycle going and grind down opposing teams. Throws the body but isn’t reckless, unafraid to block shots, isn’t a liability with the puck… he’s a keeper.

Also, appreciation post for John Carlson. I know he’s been a lightning rod for criticism for some of his postseason performances and he’s prone to inexplicable brain farts but he’s a pillar of strength and stability for this team and I think if anything he’s underrated at this point in his career.

Did not expect Lapierre to look this good this early. More so than other players he seems like a guy that lives and dies with confidence and Carberry has done a remarkable job with him this season.

Alexeyev looks much improved… just want to see him shoot more.

Will be fun to see them at full strength. I’d go with these lines and see what happens. This team is fun, hungry, and competitive again, which really is all you can ask for.

Ovi-CMM-Osh
Milano-Strome-Miro
Patches-Lappy-Wilson
Malenstyn-Dowd-Pro

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Lapierre has drawn interference calls in 3 straight, 4 of the last 7, and 5 penalties in the last 10 games. Hockey IQ is out of control.

Reactions: Raikkonen

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Just saying: BC's season ends on 4/13 at the latest. The Caps close out the regular season with b2bs on the 15th/16th. 🤔

Patches has been alright but, I mean, if nothing else having Leonard around as insurance may be worthwhile. You wonder if NYR won't also think along those lines with Perreault.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Will be fun to see them at full strength. I’d go with these lines and see what happens. This team is fun, hungry, and competitive again, which really is all you can ask for.

Ovi-CMM-Osh
Milano-Strome-Miro
Patches-Lappy-Wilson
Malenstyn-Dowd-Pro

I think Protas has been far too good of a playmaker to put on the 4th line. Washington's biggest weakness is a lack of playmakers up front but Protas is one of the few consistently setting up chances for others. More skilled forwards need to be on the receiving end of his passes.

I know I will be skewered for this by the masses, but I think if everyone is healthy they have to drop Wilson to the 4th line. He doesn't bring enough to the table offensively at this point to justify a top 9 spot.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think Protas has been far too good of a playmaker to put on the 4th line. Washington's biggest weakness is a lack of playmakers up front but Protas is one of the few consistently setting up chances for others. More skilled forwards need to be on the receiving end of his passes.

I know I will be skewered for this by the masses, but I think if everyone is healthy they have to drop Wilson to the 4th line. He doesn't bring enough to the table offensively at this point to justify a top 9 spot.
I think the most likely scenario is Wilson goes top six, Miro is scratched, and Pro goes middle six.

Agree re: Protas — he’s been outstanding — but I don’t really think that’s a traditional 4th line in terms of TOI, plus Carberry is willing to shuffle lines and guys once the game gets going to make sure the right guys get the most playing time. I was also trying to blend strengths and weaknesses and veterans/kids.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Wilson to the 4th line to solidify your criticism of his resigning…..hard pass Dr Evil.

No skewering needed, it’s just not a realistic deployment for him.
Agreed. Even Protas on the 4th line is overkill.

I'll be disappointed if Protas ends up a 4th line grinder.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think the most likely scenario is Wilson goes top six, Miro is scratched, and Pro goes middle six.

Agree re: Protas — he’s been outstanding — but I don’t really think that’s a traditional 4th line in terms of TOI, plus Carberry is willing to shuffle lines and guys once the game gets going to make sure the right guys get the most playing time. I was also trying to blend strengths and weaknesses and veterans/kids.

I'd go:

Ovechkin-Strome-Protas
Milano-McMichael-Oshie
Pacioretty-Lapierre-Miroshnichenko
Malenstyn-Dowd-Wilson

I want Protas setting up Ovechkin and Strome and providing a decent defensive element to the top line. The second line has a couple of crafty players and a decent level of skill. The third line can be an insulated but fun option. And the fourth can get tough matchups and play more in lead protecting situations.

Again, on top of very poor underlying metrics Tom Wilson is ranked 227th out of 233 qualified forwards in terms of points/60 at 5v5. Doesn't exactly seem like top 9 production to me.

Reactions: Rockingred12

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed. Even Protas on the 4th line is overkill.

I'll be disappointed if Protas ends up a 4th line grinder.
Too many bodies right now with a healthy lineup. He can be impactful there still though, but yeah, don’t see him as a grinder, he can still be a playmaker there.

Reactions: um

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'd go:

Ovechkin-Strome-Protas
Milano-McMichael-Oshie
Malenstyn-Dowd-Wilson

I want Protas setting up Ovechkin and Strome and providing a decent defensive element to the top line. The second line has a couple of crafty players and a decent level of skill. The third line can be an insulated but fun option. And the fourth can get tough matchups and play more in lead protecting situations.

Again, on top of very poor underlying metrics Tom Wilson is ranked 227th out of 233 qualified forwards in terms of points/60 at 5v5. Doesn't exactly seem like top 9 production to me.
Keep Ovechkin and Oshie together. For some reason it works.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I'd go:

Ovechkin-Strome-Protas
Milano-McMichael-Oshie
Malenstyn-Dowd-Wilson

Counter:

Ovechkin-Strome-Wilson, which we know works pretty reliably
Milano-Lapierre-Protas, the Jimi/Protas thing also seems to work on offense and defense
Pacioretty-McMichael-Oshie, CMM and Oshie have some time together and do okay
Malenstyn-Dowd-Miroshnichenko, if Wilson is really a boat anchor don't let him sink a good 4th line, Miro can throw the body and the line is still pretty skilled, he'll do fine there for now.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Wilson has played the 4th line before this season and Carbery mentioned it was to get some more balanced matchups. I got no issues with it, he’ll still get his fair share on the PP or shorthanded

They will sit Miro in close games and double shift Wilson anyway, so it all works out even if it looks a little weird on paper.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00