Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Regular Season Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
TDL most likely boils down to how long Mantha is out and if they feel he can quickly pick up his game if he does return. If he’s out until playoffs, they absolutely should swing for the fences. I know people are hesitant about throwing 1st and 2nd rounders around but this team has been very resilient and could make a long playoff run. Guys like Hertl or Giroux should definitely be on the table.

What will be interesting is if they make any of Lapierre, McMichael or Protas available. I think Fehervary is now on the untouchable list given his steady play alongside Carlson and his overall development curve this season.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Tomas Hertl. Washington needs more scoring punch and he would help both at even strength and on the power play.

He’d cost a lot in terms of assets but he’d be worth it.
We are one of the highest scoring teams in the league and you think we need scoring punch. I completely disagree.
If we make additions it should be a 2 way player or a depth player.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
We are one of the highest scoring teams in the league and you think we need scoring punch. I completely disagree.

The scoring and chance generation has dried up for 3 straight postseasons. I'd much rather have another top-end scoring option who can drive play than a depth winger who might get 8 minutes a night or a 7th defenseman when Washington is likely already 7 or 8 defensemen deep. Go big, or go home.

Besides, Tomas Hertl is an excellent two-way player at even strength, kills penalties, and wins faceoffs at a 53% clip for his career. You should try looking at spreadsheets some time!

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The scoring and chance generation has dried up for 3 straight postseasons. I'd much rather have another top-end scoring option who can drive play than a depth winger who might get 8 minutes a night or a 7th defenseman when Washington is likely already 7 or 8 defensemen deep. Go big, or go home.

Besides, Tomas Hertl is an excellent two-way player at even strength, kills penalties, and wins faceoffs at a 53% clip for his career. You should try looking at spreadsheets some time!
Well we could definitely do worse than Hertl. What would we have to give up though?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

I know his game but I don't think we should give up too much to get him.
And that's exactly what would happen.
And you should really try to learn the game without looking at a spread sheet.
You really have no clue. Do you?
Yup this guy is good because the spreadsheet said so. I've never actually watched him play though. Yes I'm rolling my eyes.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Well we could definitely do worse than Hertl. What would we have to give up though?

I'd be willing to part with a first round pick and probably one of Lapierre/McMichael if it meant landing Hertl and getting him signed to a contract extension.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'd be willing to part with a first round pick and probably one of Lapierre/McMichael if it meant landing Hertl and getting him signed to a contract extension.
Wow. That's s big if. And is that a good deal if we can't sign him long term.
And can we find cap space to sign him long term.
If we wanted to keep him we would have to free up some space somewhere.
I'm thinking if we traded for him, he would be a rental.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

He’s gonna want 8 years and I don’t think we can give out contracts that extend past Ovechkin’s. Most likely we would only get Hertl as a rental.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Nothing against Hertl but this franchise has many forwards signed to long term deals and quite a few forward prospects either NHL ready or knocking on the door.

It doesn't make sense to sign him to a long term. Even if you trade one of them, Protas/CMC/Lapierre need to fit in somewhere. 19/92 aren't going anywhere.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Tampa also was a very good scoring team and added even more pieces to their roster.

The goal scoring will dry up come playoff time. Ovechkin is having a phenomenal season, but if his goal scoring declines the team is in some trouble.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Next 2-3 years, locks:
Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Wilson
X - Backstrom - Oshie
Sheary (bargain contract) - X - X
X - Dowd - Hathaway

Fill-in options: Mantha, Eller, Hagelin, Sprong, McMicheal, Lapierre, Protas
Quality depth prospects: Malenstyn, Leason

That's a lot of pieces for 4 open spots. Even if you subtract 2-3 for Hertl it's still a lot of pieces.

Gotta be a rental this season, I think Giroux would fit in perfectly anywhere in the top 9.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Wow. That's s big if. And is that a good deal if we can't sign him long term.
And can we find cap space to sign him long term.
If we wanted to keep him we would have to free up some space somewhere.
I'm thinking if we traded for him, he would be a rental.

Eller would be the likely cap casualty if Hertl were re-signed. Eller and Schultz currently make $7.5M against the cap, and that's about what I think Hertl is going to get for a long-term deal. I'm not worried about the cap.

Even in the case that Hertl would just be a rental, where do we see Lapierre fitting in, for example? He scored a few points in the preseason but is he really going to be an impact player on this roster any time soon? I don't see him cracking the roster next year, so doesn't he have more value as a trade chip if they are trying to maximize the team's chances during the final years of Ovechkin's career? What do we really see as the likely development paths of both McMichael and Lapierre? Do they even approach what Hertl brings? I doubt it.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Tampa also was a very good scoring team and added even more pieces to their roster.

The goal scoring will dry up come playoff time. Ovechkin is having a phenomenal season, but if his goal scoring declines the team is in some trouble.
The guy is suggesting we add Hertl. I can't see that working. We would have to give up alot for a player we might not be able to keep. Another thing no one thought of is that he is a Centre. So which of our centre's gets bumped or moved to wing. Are we going to bump Kuzy or Backstrom for Hertl? I doubt it very much. And Hertl isn't going to be a bottom 6 player.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Eller would be the likely cap casualty if Hertl were re-signed. Eller and Schultz currently make $7.5M against the cap, and that's about what I think Hertl is going to get for a long-term deal. I'm not worried about the cap.

Even in the case that Hertl would just be a rental, where do we see Lapierre fitting in, for example? He scored a few points in the preseason but is he really going to be an impact player on this roster any time soon? I don't see him cracking the roster next year, so doesn't he have more value as a trade chip if they are trying to maximize the team's chances during the final years of Ovechkin's career? What do we really see as the likely development paths of both McMichael and Lapierre? Do they even approach what Hertl brings? I doubt it.
I think to get Hertl Eller would have to be part of the deal.
I'm also not sure where you would play him.I can't see us bumping Kuzy of Backstrom to 3rd line Centre or move them to wing.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
The best part about Giroux is his ability to play both wing and center. That’s extremely valuable to a team that has had their top 4 centers play together once or twice this season.
Exactly.

This team simply cannot go far in the playoffs if they have to resort to Oshie at center again like last year.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Just so we are clear. No matter how dominant the Capitals are 5v5 this season, they need more scoring punch because last playoffs. The Caps are tied for the league lead in 5v5 scoring. I think they may lead in even strenth goal differential.

Reactions: Futures Passed

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The best part about Giroux is his ability to play both wing and center. That’s extremely valuable to a team that has had their top 4 centers play together once or twice this season.

The best part about Giroux is 60% face offs. The Caps get Giroux if he says he will waive for a trade to the Caps and thats it.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Backstrom has played all of 2 games this season. Im not sure we need another center right now. We do have a decent history in trades with the flyers

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Backstrom has played all of 2 games this season. Im not sure we need another center right now. We do have a decent history in trades with the flyers

I'm still concerned about Backstrom's hip. If he proves to be healthy and effective up until the trade deadline then I'd be confident in his health going into the postseason, but I'm not there yet.

Giroux would be a good option if he waives to come to DC for this reason. I wonder if he's going to be available though. If so, I'd definitely put a bid in for his services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille