Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Regular Season Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
If the Caps are going to go all in this season, then I’ll take Fleury. Giordano and Jarnkrok on Seattle would be nice options to consider as well. Jarnkrok has played plenty of C and would be a nice depth add. He’s a cheap 200 foot forward who played under Laviolette as an important role player and has played plenty of C in the past. All three are on expiring deals, so one or more could come over with salary retained. Kempny and/or Schultz on expiring deals could be moved to free up cap space as well.

Hopefully Mantha pulls a Kucherov. I mean, as long as cap circumvention is cool these days and all, then why not? This does kind of feel like the year to go all in though. Given the age and durability questions moving forward, I don’t think they can afford to take a season like this for granted. They might not get another one like this.

Last edited:

Futures Passed

Sep 2, 2018
The best part about Giroux is his ability to play both wing and center. That’s extremely valuable to a team that has had their top 4 centers play together once or twice this season.
It would be a nice luxury for sure. Pavelski is on an expiring deal as well so, depending on what direction Dallas decides to go, he could be an option as well.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
If the Caps are going to go all in this season, then I’ll take Fleury. Giordano and Jarnkrok on Seattle would be nice options to consider as well. Jarnkrok has played plenty of C and would be a nice depth add. He’s cheap a cheap 200 foot forward who played under Laviolette as an important role player and has played plenty of C in the past. All three are on expiring deals, so one or more could come over with salary retained. Kempny and/or Schultz on expiring deals could be moved to free up cap space as well.

Hopefully Mantha pulls a Kucherov. I mean, as long as cap circumvention is cool these days and all, then why not? This does kind of feels like the year to go all in though. Given the age and durability questions moving forward, I don’t think they can afford to take a season like this for granted. They might not get another one like this.

I am in the 'get another goalie' camp. Samsonov's consistency has improved this season but I still don't like going into the playoffs with this tandem.

I think the center depth is improved from last year. I don't have an issue with either Protas or CMM filling one of the center spots. Everything else depends on Backstrom. Two games is not near enough to be able to tell what state he is in. Looks like he is skating in molasses but that's to be expected with the extra long lay off.

One concern I have about players like Hertl or Giroux is that these are 1st line players. Have to feed them ice time, including power play time. Two great players, though. No question about that.

Reactions: Futures Passed

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I've though out loud about Stastny, if Winnipeg falls further out of contention. He's sorta a poor man's Giroux at this point, which might be all we need. 2nd/3rd line tweener on the Caps, can PK, play wing or center, maybe contribute on 2nd PP, cheapish in terms of cap hit and likely trade cost. A veteran who knows playoff hockey.

Futures Passed

Sep 2, 2018
I am in the 'get another goalie' camp. Samsonov's consistency has improved this season but I still don't like going into the playoffs with this tandem.

I think the center depth is improved from last year. I don't have an issue with either Protas or CMM filling one of the center spots. Everything else depends on Backstrom. Two games is not near enough to be able to tell what state he is in. Looks like he is skating in molasses but that's to be expected with the extra long lay off.

One concern I have about players like Hertl or Giroux is that these are 1st line players. Have to feed them ice time, including power play time. Two great players, though. No question about that.
Yeah, I feel you. The Backstrom situation still does feel pretty precarious. Part of what worries me is that Laviolette doesn’t seem to do any load management and I don’t want to see them grind Backstrom’s hip down again. If the team can get healthy though, then they should be able to roll four lines.

That’s a good question about roll and for you raise. Where do guys slot in in the power play and how do the minutes get distributed? If Mantha is back then someone will have to move to the third line. Spreading out minutes might be positive for an aging roster though. How guys actually about that is another question though. I’ve kind of wanted to see Oshie carry a third line and reduce the load he is carrying a bit to keep him healthy. I’m sure he would get double shifted sometimes still anyway. That could open up a top six role though, but who knows when Mantha is even coming back at this point.

Futures Passed

Sep 2, 2018
I've though out loud about Stastny, if Winnipeg falls further out of contention. He's sorta a poor man's Giroux at this point, which might be all we need. 2nd/3rd line tweener on the Caps, can PK, play wing or center, maybe contribute on 2nd PP, cheapish in terms of cap hit and likely trade cost. A veteran who knows playoff hockey.
Yup. Elite face off guy too. Both him and Andrew Copp could be nice options if Winnipeg is selling off expiring contracts at the deadline. Copp would be younger and faster though, but Statsny would be a pretty nice veteran Swiss Army knife to add. He could play just about any role for the Caps in a pinch.

Last edited:

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I would think think Mantha is 100% out till playoffs just based on reading articles and the way people talk about it. Seems like a foregone conclusion. In terms of adds and subtracts. There will be nothing going out and no moving of salary. If all in, you have a lot of players who have now played in the system and shouldn’t be moved. Specifically talking about Hags, Sprong, and Schultz. They have more value on the roster this season. Number one hit for me would be Fleury. And I’d be fine moving Vanecek as part of that. None of our 4 regular centers is going to sit for an addition. And we go three more deep with Protas, CMM, and Sgarbossa. Defense is 10 strong. Maybe you add a 6th/7th RHD.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
If by "all in" we mean go for broke, I dont see why the Capitals would do that.

Not sure which post you are referring to. If mine, what i am really proposing is to not move people out. Have a strong core. have depth at all positions. Goaltending is questionable so I’d address that. And we are short RHD and are forced to play more lefties. But that is certainly secondary to goalie depth.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Definitely a good fallback if Giroux isn't possible.

Pretty obvious to me they need a hybrid winger/center. Protas or McMichael should not be playing Center in the playoffs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not sure which post you are referring to. If mine, what i am really proposing is to not move people out. Have a strong core. have depth at all positions. Goaltending is questionable so I’d address that. And we are short RHD and are forced to play more lefties. But that is certainly secondary to goalie depth.

Not specifically you. All in was used more than once. I am talking about what future you spend and I dont think the Caps need to spend top assets.

Haven't the Caps been playing 4 right shot d every night and 2 left? Schultz, TvR, Jensen, and Carlson.
As for the goaltending, I doubt a legit cup winning veteran goalie is going to be available. I could be wrong. What is more likely is a mediocre veteran who has bounced around and is on an expiring contract. Do you want Holtby back?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Not specifically you. All in was used more than once. I am talking about what future you spend and I dont think the Caps need to spend top assets.

Haven't the Caps been playing 4 right shot d every night and 2 left? Schultz, TvR, Jensen, and Carlson.
As for the goaltending, I doubt a legit cup winning veteran goalie is going to be available. I could be wrong. What is more likely is a mediocre veteran who has bounced around and is on an expiring contract. Do you want Holtby back?
To back up Sammy, that would be more affordable. But if you can find a way to get Fleury, then you do it!

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
How about Radulov, if Dallas keeps sliding? Quiet season for him so far, but that could make him cheaper and id imagine he would want to play with Ovie and Kuzy for a chance to win the cup. Might also fit under our ”big game”.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How about Radulov, if Dallas keeps sliding? Quiet season for him so far, but that could make him cheaper and id imagine he would want to play with Ovie and Kuzy for a chance to win the cup. Might also fit under our ”big game”.
Pass on big names of years past.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Pass on big names of years past.

he is over 0,5 ppg last 3 years though. With 18 points in 27 playoffgames to go. Its really just been this season, and Dallas hasnt looked good as overall. Can easily be similar situation as where Hall was last year with Buffalo.

Personally id rather pay 2nd + for Radulov than 1st + for Giroux.

But i think BM will stay out of the big names, both past and present, anyways. Its going to be another Raffl. And Mantha will play in the playoffs.

No point bringing Fleury now either, unless Sammy breaks down again. Having Fleury as a backup doesnt really work. And is kind of showing our current duo we dont trust them. More likely to trade for a depth guy in there too, for a solid backup-level guy for low price, just because covid- and injury-risks.

Overall id say this is not the year to go all-in. Our prospect pool is flourishing with the opportunity given to them, and it looks like we have decent depth everywhere for small role activity, and some of the bottom6/4 can step up for short periods. Kempny getting back to action and looking ok makes our D whole. Getting Mantha back would make our O whole. They are high on Fucale. So its all about minizing risks with covid by getting middle6 depth and maybe a vereran taxi squad goalie for me.

this year is all about riding the hot Ovechkin and Hershey Bears. But if we would to go all-in, then do it big. No for a 1st for a rental and first round exit. Make it two 1sts and ++ to get a guy like Patrick Kane (@50%) for two runs. But as that doest seem realistic, id just save the big chips for next year, maybe to go after UFA-Kane..

(and before i get reminded about cap, ive thought it through :) i think Kane @50 fits this year if Mantha stays ltir, and for next season it would take replacing Eller and Hagelin with CMM and Fjallby or Protas or Leason, and spending max 1,5m for the Schultz replacement ((maybe kempny if he shows to have the comeback in him)) but it would for sure be worth it. — but it would obviousy also require for Hawks to finally decide on going full rebuild)

Last edited:

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
If we add a forward, I’d like to see them get a quality role player rather than a big name. Our forward lineup is no weaker than it was in 2018, and it’s clear even with injuries and COVID protocols Lavi prefers a more balanced top-9. Another guy like Sheary would be ideal - someone comfortable in the middle six, maybe with some limited PP and PK, who brings energy and compete every game and still has a lot left in the tank.

Calle Järnkrok would be a fantastic addition, if he were available.

Ovi-Kuzy-Wilson
Sheary-Backstrom-Järnkrok
Mantha/Protas-Eller-Oshie
Hagelin-Dowd-Hathaway

Fever-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
TVR-Schultz
Kempny

With some good depth pieces left over - Sprong, CMM, (Protas), Leason, Sgarbossa, AJF, Alexeyev, Irwin - I don’t see where the weakness lies in those lines come playoffs.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
My only hesitation with going for broke this year is Covid. I think they finish the season and award the Cup but is there another weird bubble situation that happens? Do they shorten the season or change the format so teams travel less? Would really suck to part with valuable assets and then have the season fall to shit through no fault of their own.

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I think Radulov may not be Lavy friendly enough to be the guy.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My only hesitation with going for broke this year is Covid. I think they finish the season and award the Cup but is there another weird bubble situation that happens? Do they shorten the season or change the format so teams travel less? Would really suck to part with valuable assets and then have the season fall to shit through no fault of their own.

Are you sold on the fact that the Caps aren't really a good team now and won't be going forward? I see a good team that has some good young players coming, that has veterans that are aging well and should continue to be a good team. Going for broke means sell off those years going forward for one shot. I don't see the need for that.

Maybe, though, I am misreading the use of the phrase

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lavi prefers a more balanced top-9..

I think that is a misread of Lavy's preferences. He has said that he uses Oshie on the 3rd line for two reasons. 1 is to spread the minutes to keep the workload down in a compressed schedule. He did this last season but once the games hit the stretch, Oshie was moved back to Backstrom and his load was not limited. He has said that when faced with 2 rookies playing together that he wants a veteran to cover them. In those cases as the games get to halfway those rookies stop playing much and Oshie goes back to the 2nd line. That is what happened last night.

I think that come playoffs the 2nd line will be Mantha/ Sheary/New player-Backstrom-Oshie.

That said what you said about finding another Sheary like player seems to be exactly what Laviolette would want. The defense is his priority. Is Stephenson actually going to get traded?

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I think if Mantha is back for playoffs, they roll with what they have up front, save for a possible “upgrade” on Sprong (which I would be against).

I also really like Sheary, but he’s been much better with Eller than our top 2 centers so I’d rather see them back together when everyone is healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad