Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
JT is not going anywhere. Neither is AM. Nor is WN. That leaves Marner.

As I said elsewhere, Dallas has a ton of young studs. They could also use a player like Marner, so make the trade.

If I'm Toronto...

I'd sign Marner (no NMC) and then trade him to Dallas for Logan Stankoven and Mavrik Bourque - even if I had to eat some salary. Without the Toronto microscope, Marner might excel. Stankoven and Bourque are blue chip prospects and they would free up money under the Cap.

If I had go throw in Robertson, I would. He's been useless so let him go play with his brother in Dallas.

P.S. I ask for Wyatt Johnston and either Stankoven and Bourque first, but I doubt Dallas will let Johnston go - at 20 he's a STUD and not someone you let get away.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
P.S. I ask for Wyatt Johnston and either Stankoven and Bourque first, but I doubt Dallas will let Johnston go - at 20 he's a STUD and not someone you let get away.
Speak of the Devil and he shall appear. Wyatt Johnston just scored in OT for Dallas.

Yeah, Dallas is NOT giving that kid up - a big tough franchise player. Just go for Stankoven and Bourque.

Reactions: hamzarocks

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Marner would not return any asset from Dallas of value

Marner is an albatross right now and will be going forward

He’s playing bad, but to say that he won’t return any value is straight up idiotic. You will have at least 20 teams willing to take Marner and lock him up at 7 or 8 years. He still has value around the league. I’m pretty sure organizations look at him and say in their environment they can get him to have success. It’s basically Kessel 2.0. Slot him in the right situation with the right guys he’ll take off. Toronto is not the right situation clearly.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sums it up nicely:

Matthews starts out talking to WN. Then it looks like WN looks down to talk to MM.

AM and WN exchanging word and Marner interjecting and WN putting Mitch in his place.

That's what it looks like if you follow their eyes.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
I've been fed up with Mitch this playoffs but

We can all whine, throw a fit, beat our chest how this is the end...

Go to the trade boards, f'ing CBJ fans laughing at the proposal of Mitch for a 9+ million per glorified top four defenseman in Werenski and you want to trade Mitch?

We're going to give Mitch Marner away and take on a bad contract on some that this fanbase/media/culture will shred to pieces?

Gunna trade Mitch for a late first and two half busted prospects like we're some loser market that takes assistance in this welfare NHL.

Nut up, be sober, this perception thing might bring down the cost of extending Mitch if he doesn't walk.

Everyone has emotions, I've been ragging on the guy for a week but who are you kidding that he's the piece that is expendable?

We all have a lot criticisms but I haven't heard an alternative.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Go to the trade boards, f'ing CBJ fans laughing at the proposal of Mitch for a 9+ million per glorified top four defenseman in Werenski and you want to trade Mitch?

We're going to give Mitch Marner away and take on a bad contract on some that this fanbase/media/culture will shred to pieces?

Gunna trade Mitch for a late first and two half busted prospects like we're some loser market that takes assistance in this welfare NHL.

Nut up, be sober, this perception thing might bring down the cost of extending Mitch if he doesn't walk.

Everyone has emotions, I've been ragging on the guy for a week but who are you kidding that he's the piece that is expendable?

Addition by subtraction.

Last edited:

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
He’s playing bad, but to say that he won’t return any value is straight up idiotic. You will have at least 20 teams willing to take Marner and lock him up at 7 or 8 years. He still has value around the league. I’m pretty sure organizations look at him and say in their environment they can get him to have success. It’s basically Kessel 2.0. Slot him in the right situation with the right guys he’ll take off. Toronto is not the right situation clearly.
Not that this would happen but the best place for Marner to go for him to improve is a Boston type team. Strong veteran leadership group, a coach that won’t put up with his sulking and give him so tough love. A system that is structured. Somewhere that instills professionalism.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London

If you follow the events of this year Marner is the common denominator. This team didn’t play like a team until he was out of the lineup against the Yotes. How’s the team playing now when it’s not wide open regular season hockey. Not like a team. There’s other factors that I’ve seen also.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Matthews starts out talking to WN. Then it looks like WN looks down to talk to MM.

AM and WN exchanging word and Marner interjecting and WN putting Mitch in his place.

That's what it looks like if you follow their eyes.
This conversation happened right after that Power Play where Marner got pushed down in front of the net. He stood up and stopped playing and while whining to the refs Boston cleared the zone. The lip readers on reddit say Nylander said "This isn't f***ing junior hockey" and then Marner threw his gloves down in frustration.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
This conversation happened right after that Power Play where Marner got pushed down in front of the net. He stood up and stopped playing and while whining to the refs Boston cleared the zone. The lip readers on reddit say Nylander said "This isn't f***ing junior hockey" and then Marner threw his gloves down in frustration.
I hope you are correct with this. It fits the mould.
Talented, timid, and spoiled.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Matthews and Nylander finally stepping up to tell this guy his playoff style is garbage might be the turning point of his career. Because it doesn't register when anybody else says it. The elite needed to yell at the elite

Don't count him out yet. I expect Magic Mitch out in full force for game 5. His intensity has ramped up. If the game started in period 3, the flow suggested an easy win for us. We need to carry this into the remainder of the series.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
I keep hearing about Paul Marner. I hope the Leafs management aren't afraid of this guy. He's not a mafioso. He's a Timmy's-double-double, ushanka-hat wearing dork. It's time to get tough with the Marners and make the right decision.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
He is just not a playoff hockey performer. He had the physical skillset to be a new Doug Gilmore, but doesn't have the programming.

He has demonstrated for years now that when push comes to shove in playoff hockey he looks to the refs because he's getting bullied.

So in the end, when he's pressured he looks outward to someone else to solve the problems, instead of digging deep and finding a way.

Trade him to a team that needs some flash to draw fans in for the regular season. At this point it's addition by subtraction.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Every year Leafs fans are surprised with Mitch. Marner is an undersized winger - 172 lbs, who can not take the hit. During the playoffs, nobody will protect him. And he is the priority target, because he is the engine of the team. Take Marner out from his game, Leafs are done. That's why first round exits are a common thing. Nothing to see here. Marner for Brady Tkachuk trade, if Ottawa will agree. But I doubt it though.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
I've never heard a guy get ripped so directly by the Maclean hockey panel. Hrudey in particular, who is usually somewhat understated, was particularly critical. Without a massive turnaround, it's hard not to believe this will be the end of Mitch's time in Toronto, no trade clause or not. And Keefe will be joining him on the bus out of town. It will be interesting to see how Pelley deals with Shanahan. May be end of the line for him too.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Every year Leafs fans are surprised with Mitch. Marner is an undersized winger - 172 lbs, who can not take the hit. During the playoffs, nobody will protect him. And he is the priority target, because he is the engine of the team. Take Marner out from his game, Leafs are done. That's why first round exits are a common thing. Nothing to see here. Marner for Brady Tkachuk trade, if Ottawa will agree. But I doubt it though.
Why would you guys want to get rid of Tkachuk?

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Matthews and Nylander finally stepping up to tell this guy his playoff style is garbage might be the turning point of his career. Because it doesn't register when anybody else says it. The elite needed to yell at the elite

Don't count him out yet. I expect Magic Mitch out in full force for game 5. His intensity has ramped up. If the game started in period 3, the flow suggested an easy win for us. We need to carry this into the remainder of the series.
If he will start flashing out, he will be destroyed on the boards right away and it will finish his NHL career. That's why he is so careful during playoffs. The magic Mitch is not coming out any time soon.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Why would you guys want to get rid of Tkachuk?
With Marner we will make playoffs every year. And we will find another Tkachuk. With Tkachuk, Leafs will have a chance to put through the boards all top lines in eastern conference, during playoffs. It will slow them down and you will have a chance to win the Stanley Cup.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
If you follow the events of this year Marner is the common denominator. This team didn’t play like a team until he was out of the lineup against the Yotes. How’s the team playing now when it’s not wide open regular season hockey. Not like a team. There’s other factors that I’ve seen also.
You're talking about a random game against the Yotes like it means anything?

Confirmation bias/cope, am I supposed to take this seriously? What about that game against Winnipeg four years ago? See I can say silly things to, doesn't mean a thing.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
He scored a beautiful goal which I appreciate and had some moments in the 3rd. However the game was over at that stage and we needed him in the 1st and 2nd period where we were atrocious. He's consistently losing battles and losing his composure.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I'm done with this team if Marner is made the scapegoat.

I love JT but not at the expense of shaking up the big 3. We can't wait out JT's cap hit anymore. It's time to move on. We need better 3rd liners and insulation. I cried every time Nylander had to step out with the bottom 6.

Our bottom 6 is literally a bunch of bandaid players a lottery team would use and then low IQ Robertson who is useless when he doesn't have an open look.

Last edited:

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
With Marner we will make playoffs every year. And we will find another Tkachuk. With Tkachuk, Leafs will have a chance to put through the boards all top lines in eastern conference, during playoffs. It will slow them down and you will have a chance to win the Stanley Cup.
The Sens aren't that dumb to do this trade because Marner is pure garbage, and the Leafs have too many holes in the lineup, Tkachuk alone would not be able to take the team to the promise land.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad