Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Off-Season Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He can be LTIR'd perennially if it comes to it ala Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Pronger, etc. Still gets paid but they're allowed to exceed the cap by his AAV. I don't think they're there quite yet but it might be on the horizon. If he can't withstand a playoff run? .
With Backstrom now indicating he wants to play for Brynas in the SEL before he retires from pro hockey, the LTIRment angle gets a lot more difficult.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
and yet it looked like he was just in the most trim shape he’s ever been in DC.
Much of that could be dietary. To which I'd applaud him. Gotta find some way to maintain an edge and adapt. As he said it inevitably and increasingly becomes a mental game.

I don't think he HAS to play for Brynas. He'd like to. He could also retire and then "un-retire" after a while and finish up there for a bit. It could be a season-to-season thing from now on based on his willingness to try surgery again or not.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Much of that could be dietary. To which I'd applaud him. Gotta find some way to maintain an edge and adapt. As he said it inevitably and increasingly becomes a mental game.

I don't think he HAS to play for Brynas. He'd like to. He could also retire and then "un-retire" after a while and finish up there for a bit. It could be a season-to-season thing from now on based on his willingness to try surgery again or not.

I would suggest that its possible that the increased training stressed his hip. That his increased fitness was honest. I think more likely that he tweaked the repaired hip during the season and it needs attention again. IIRC he didnt miss games with the hip before the surgery. It was an under the radar injury with an off season surgery then.

I suppose its possible that he has already had it scoped and it hasnt been announced. As for Brynas, Ovechkin says the same sort of stuff in Russian interviews and doesnt repeat it when here. I take comments like that as PR

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I would suggest that its possible that the increased training stressed his hip. That his increased fitness was honest. I think more likely that he tweaked the repaired hip during the season and it needs attention again. IIRC he didnt miss games with the hip before the surgery. It was an under the radar injury with an off season surgery then.

I suppose its possible that he has already had it scoped and it hasnt been announced. As for Brynas, Ovechkin says the same sort of stuff in Russian interviews and doesnt repeat it when here. I take comments like that as PR

I don't think it's as much PR in Sweden as it is in Russia. Their players who say those things often end up finishing their careers there... both Markus Naslund and Peter Forsberg for example.

That doesn't mean that he has to finish his career there. Just that he would like to.

Not very encouraging news now with the Kuznetsov -situation looming aswell. I guess we'll get to see McMichael some more next season.

Reactions: Hivemind

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
No idea if i'm late with this but from 31 thoughts:

14. I can’t find anyone in the NHL who thinks Alexander Ovechkin’s extension isn’t already “in the drawer.”

7. I do think some trade discussions are stalled because teams want to make sure they don’t run into expansion protection trouble. You aren’t making a move without making sure it means you don’t get chewed up by the Kraken. And Seattle is leveraging its position.

There are definitely teams concerned that the Kraken will draft exposed players and flip them elsewhere. For example, would Seattle draft a Matt Dumba or a Mark Giordano, potentially eat some salary and take bids? Either player makes sense for someone like Edmonton.

They could be one of the teams interested in Kuznetsov, atleast to a degree. Low expectations, good risk/reward ratio for them. That being said i don't think they would give up much in return. That could be one of the scenarios where the Capitals end up with a lesser center back, though.

Friedman was definitely onto something as he called both Tourigny to Arizona and Arvidsson being traded right in there.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think it's as much PR in Sweden as it is in Russia. Their players who say those things often end up finishing their careers there... both Markus Naslund and Peter Forsberg for example.

That doesn't mean that he has to finish his career there. Just that he would like to.

Not very encouraging news now with the Kuznetsov -situation looming aswell. I guess we'll get to see McMichael some more next season.

Well, there is also different meanings of finishing your career. Right? There is a guy quitting a viable NHL career to play in europe and there is being finished in the NHL and playing a season or two at home like Jagr is right now. Backstrom has a contract that I am confident he intends to uphold his end. Him playing in Sweden after that would be post NHL player level.

Its not great news. McMichael isn't ready and I am not a fan of throwing him in the deep end and let him sink or swim. This article is going to pressure MacLellan to go public with how this has been or will be handled. Like I said, he may have had his hip scoped already. It might be they are hoping rest will fix it. They havent said anything beyond that they hadnt decided a treatment route yet.

I think Kuzy is not traded now. Very unlikely.

Edit: going back and looking at the reports of Backstrom's hip surgery in 2015. He had the surgery in May and was ready for opening night. 3 to 4 month recovery.

Last edited:

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I don't think they'll trade him either. He is worth way more to the team if they can get him motivated. Do the Caps use sports psychologists or motivators? I wonder if they could help Kuzy to start giving a crap?

As far as going to Seattle - if he won't give 100 percent on a team like the Caps I can't imagine he's going to suddenly be reinvigorated playing for an expansion team.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't think they'll trade him either. He is worth way more to the team if they can get him motivated. Do the Caps use sports psychologists or motivators? I wonder if they could help Kuzy to start giving a crap?

As far as going to Seattle - if he won't give 100 percent on a team like the Caps I can't imagine he's going to suddenly be reinvigorated playing for an expansion team.

I’m having a tough time seeing Kuznetsov sticking around because I don’t think Laviolette trusts him and I imagine MacLellan sees this too. Assuming Backstrom’s hip is going to continue being an issue how do they roll with someone the coach doesn’t trust as their other nominal top 6 center?

I hope they resist the urge to trade him just to trade him but I feel like the writing is on the wall. Hopefully they are aggressive in landing a legit upgrade over both Kuznetsov and Backstrom as their 1C going forward.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I’m having a tough time seeing Kuznetsov sticking around because I don’t think Laviolette trusts him and I imagine MacLellan sees this too. Assuming Backstrom’s hip is going to continue being an issue how do they roll with someone the coach doesn’t trust as their other nominal top 6 center?

I hope they resist the urge to trade him just to trade him but I feel like the writing is on the wall. Hopefully they are aggressive in landing a legit upgrade over both Kuznetsov and Backstrom as their 1C going forward.

It's going to be a very long season! Especially for those who think the Cup window is still open ;)

Not sure why people keep saying McMichael isn't ready. If he doesn't get opportunities to play in the big league he'll never be ready. With a training camp, preseason, and full 82 game schedule I'm hoping he gets a decent look this coming season.
Maybe he can be the 5th center and fill in when injuries occur and to rest Backstrom etc.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
mcmichael will get his shot this year. I doubt he will be on the opening day roster, but give it by mid january and i wouldnt be surprised to see him slotting on the third line or higher depending on injuries. watch out for big al if we have LHD injuries, he could slide into the 3LD slot and surprise

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
mcmichael will get his shot this year. I doubt he will be on the opening day roster, but give it by mid january and i wouldnt be surprised to see him slotting on the third line or higher depending on injuries. watch out for big al if we have LHD injuries, he could slide into the 3LD slot and surprise

I take MacLellan at his word that they dont expecxt McMichael to be on the team. As an injury fill in it certainly could, but where do you think he fits into a healthy lineup?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not sure why people keep saying McMichael isn't ready. .

MacLellan said it in his post playoffs presser. He said that he thought Fehervary would be on the team and Alexeyeve would get games. He said that he didnt expect McMichael to be ready for even that. Things can change and all but that might be why people are saying that.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m having a tough time seeing Kuznetsov sticking around because I don’t think Laviolette trusts him and I imagine MacLellan sees this too. Assuming Backstrom’s hip is going to continue being an issue how do they roll with someone the coach doesn’t trust as their other nominal top 6 center?.

How? Its simple. There isn't going to be a 1C moved this off season, very likely, and that would be because one isn't available. without an incoming 1c they have Kuzy and Backstrom. If Kuzy is traded, Backstrom's hip has been fixed. If its still a problem, ask Lavy who he wants to create offense and run his pp. Eller or Kuzy? He trusts Eller more defensively but not with the power play. He took him off it. Remember?

The only way they can't "roll" with Kuznetsov is if Ovechkin and the rest of the locker room want him gone. You want to blame Laviolette. The only way Kuzy is gone at this point is if the players want him gone. IMO.

After watching Ov snap at Samsonov in full view of the cameras and knowing that Backstrom and Oshie were playing in real pain and the whole Oshie dealing with COVID rules in order to play, I can imagine that the locker room feels like the trust has been broken.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
MacLellan said it in his post playoffs presser. He said that he thought Fehervary would be on the team and Alexeyeve would get games. He said that he didnt expect McMichael to be ready for even that. Things can change and all but that might be why people are saying that.
Capitals’ GM Brian MacLellan: “We’ll Get Younger But We’re Still Going To Have A Veteran Team. That’s Our Core.”
“I think it’s going to be how his offseason goes, what improvements he makes,” he said on whether the 20-year-old will be in the Capitals’ opening night lineup in October. Though, he acknowledged “We’re not going to force [him] into the lineup” but thought that McMichael finished the season “very high, improved in all areas. … We’re going to look for opportunities to play him but we’re not going to force him into a situation he can’t handle.”
Not really a bearish take. Cautious but that holds for all of them if they don't run with the opportunity. The salary cap will be what keeps McMichael off the team and only an injury replacement I would guess. Maybe they lose a Dowd/Sheary/Sprong to Seattle, don't do much in free agency to replace them and just let the prospects fight it out. History suggests they'd bring in at least a little competition.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Capitals’ GM Brian MacLellan: “We’ll Get Younger But We’re Still Going To Have A Veteran Team. That’s Our Core.”

Not really a bearish take. Cautious but that holds for all of them if they don't run with the opportunity. The salary cap will be what keeps McMichael off the team and only an injury replacement I would guess. Maybe they lose a Dowd/Sheary/Sprong to Seattle, don't do much in free agency to replace them and just let the prospects fight it out. History suggests they'd bring in at least a little competition.

His answer is basically what I said without slamming the door and saying something negative. Yes, if he has a big off season and comes in as McGretzky, he is playing. But they dont have plans for him to be on the team and arent pushing for that.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He isn’t ready IMO, skating isn’t there yet. Injury call-up duty next year I’d wager.

I’ll be pulling for him to have a killer off-season and surprise in camp.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He isn’t ready IMO, skating isn’t there yet. Injury call-up duty next year I’d wager.

I’ll be pulling for him to have a killer off-season and surprise in camp.

When you have a player in his position you staff up your NHL roster fully rather than leave a hole for him. I expect that is what they are doing. 4 or 5 NHL centers will be on the roster.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
How? Its simple. There isn't going to be a 1C moved this off season, very likely, and that would be because one isn't available. without an incoming 1c they have Kuzy and Backstrom. If Kuzy is traded, Backstrom's hip has been fixed. If its still a problem, ask Lavy who he wants to create offense and run his pp. Eller or Kuzy? He trusts Eller more defensively but not with the power play. He took him off it. Remember?

The only way they can't "roll" with Kuznetsov is if Ovechkin and the rest of the locker room want him gone. You want to blame Laviolette. The only way Kuzy is gone at this point is if the players want him gone. IMO.

After watching Ov snap at Samsonov in full view of the cameras and knowing that Backstrom and Oshie were playing in real pain and the whole Oshie dealing with COVID rules in order to play, I can imagine that the locker room feels like the trust has been broken.

I think the players are only part of it. If GMBM and Lavi flat out wanted him gone, he’s getting shipped IMO.

If the players did anything but plead for him to stay, but GMBM/Lavi want him gone, he’s getting shipped IMO.

Only 2 reasons he’s not shipped this year….Ovy/player leadership goes to bat for him, or his value is so shit they hold and hope for any kind of rebound in production/play next season with an eye for a trade at a later date.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I dunno, pro athletes can make great strides in offseasons if they really focus on an individual training program. A blue chip prospect should be able to accelerate his "schedule" for advancement if he really wants to.

Some guys need the reps at lower levels and nothing else will get them there. Special players do much more on their own.

So if a guy really can't make the leap when there's a clear opportunity, how good is he really?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I dunno, pro athletes can make great strides in offseasons if they really focus on an individual training program. A blue chip prospect should be able to accelerate his "schedule" for advancement if he really wants to.

Some guys need the reps at lower levels and nothing else will get them there. Special players do much more on their own.

So if a guy really can't make the leap when there's a clear opportunity, how good is he really?

one would think/hope….

That shot is ready….it now needs honing against NHL tending.

Reactions: g00n and VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the players are only part of it. If GMBM and Lavi flat out wanted him gone, he’s getting shipped IMO.

If the players did anything but plead for him to stay, but GMBM/Lavi want him gone, he’s getting shipped IMO.

Only 2 reasons he’s not shipped this year….Ovy/player leadership goes to bat for him, or his value is so shit they hold and hope for any kind of rebound in production/play next season with an eye for a trade at a later date.

My view is the same but maybe reversed. I think he stays of the room accepts him and the Caps cant maintain or improve the team by moving him. I think that would be difficult right now. I suppose his relationship with the team or the room could be broken badly enough that they cant play with him there. I just think that the relationship in the room combined with the lack of an opening to reasonably replace him are the issues. This is of course is speculation.

I guess my take is that if MacLellan has had enough, that Ovechkin has too

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Cant make the leap when there is an opportunity? Where is the opportunity? Yes, players can do a lot on their own. Tom Wilson is a great example of making big strides in the off season, but as good as he has become it was a one step at a time thing. Not all at once. He went from 4th line to adding pk, to adding defensive situations to adding some offense to jumping into the top six to adding power play.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
My view is the same but maybe reversed. I think he stays of the room accepts him and the Caps cant maintain or improve the team by moving him. I think that would be difficult right now. I suppose his relationship with the team or the room could be broken badly enough that they cant play with him there. I just think that the relationship in the room combined with the lack of an opening to reasonably replace him are the issues. This is of course is speculation.

I guess my take is that if MacLellan has had enough, that Ovechkin has too

Ovechkin is the captain of the team and the direction of the franchise. Ted is not going to betray Ovie and they both know it. So I believe this is likely the case.

Ovie is a different guy than when the "young guns" were around. He's more goal-oriented and focused. Maybe it's age & maturity in general, maybe it's family life. Either way I don't think having guys f***ing off and f***ing up, even if friends & countrymen, is going to fly with him anymore. Not when he's looking at the end of his career and his overall legacy.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Cant make the leap when there is an opportunity? Where is the opportunity? Yes, players can do a lot on their own. Tom Wilson is a great example of making big strides in the off season, but as good as he has become it was a one step at a time thing. Not all at once. He went from 4th line to adding pk, to adding defensive situations to adding some offense to jumping into the top six to adding power play.

There is a problem at C and we have to be honest about it. Kuzy is on the trade bloc and Backstrom is a big fat question mark due to his hip.

CMM has to see the possibility of trade or injury creating an opening on the roster at some point, so why wouldn't a professional prepare for that?

Prospects trying to crack the lineup are always looking for their chance. Only a fool would wait to be handed a roster spot based on draft potential and THEN start preparing. I don't want guys like that. I hope GMBM doesn't, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad