Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Off-Season Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
What does it say? Is it any more than pointing out there is trouble in paradise or are they more specific about where he might go and what might be returned?

Speculated that Vegas could be a potential destination, especially if they lose out on Eichel:

Evgeny Kuznetsov, Center, Washington Capitals

What Needs To Come Back?
Burnside: Talked to one source who felt it would be a victory for Washington to get out from under Kuznetsov’s salary and his divisive presence. If that’s the case mid- to late-round picks and a prospect or two might be enough. The real asset for the Caps is in the cap space. “So many options if he’s gone,” the source said.
El-Bashir: A big part of what’s made the Caps so good for so long is their depth down the middle. Kuznetsov and Nicklas Backstrom are a great 1-2 punch. Meanwhile, Lars Eller remains one of the game’s best third-line centers and Nic Dowd is a very good fourth-liner. Subtract Kuznetsov from that mix, though, and a strength suddenly becomes a question mark. Backstrom also turns 34 in November and was banged up at the season’s end. So what are their options? The ideal scenario would be getting a first-line center back in the transaction. The not-ideal-but-potentially-workable scenario would be getting a middle-six center back and hoping that Backstrom, Eller, the new player and Dowd are good enough as a group. The Caps’ No. 1 prospect, Connor McMichael, is a center and they’ve got big plans for him. But internally the 20-year-old isn’t viewed as being ready to step into a full-time top-six role next season.

End Result
Burnside: Golden Knights — Love the idea of Kuznetsov in Vegas and believe, if he can regain his form, he might represent the missing Stanley Cup puzzle piece for the Golden Knights. And Kuznetsov might solve Vegas’s center depth problem without costing key assets in the way that Eichel might.
El-Bashir: Capitals — The Caps were frustrated by Kuznetsov’s season and disappointed by the way things ended. But first-line centers don’t grow on trees and it’s hard to imagine the Caps getting a fair return given everything we’ve discussed. In the end, I think GM Brian MacLellan has some conversations and kicks some tires but ultimately stands pat.

@AlexBrovechkin8 @Calicaps @hockeykicker edit this quote if it's too long. I'm not really sure what we're allowed to quote in a paywalled article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Speculated that Vegas could be a potential destination, especially if they lose out on Eichel:

@AlexBrovechkin8 @Calicaps @hockeykicker edit this quote if it's too long. I'm not really sure what we're allowed to quote in a paywalled article.

Thanks Twabs. Thats about what I was thinking. They were throwing around those terms inconsistent and returning to form and divisive. Are you sure those are either not true or irrelevant? I also agree that they wont trade him unless they just cant go forward with him.

They are also reporting McMichael as not ready.

Lastly: The Vegas idea is interesting but with his off ice issues, I wonder if that is really the environment that would be good for him. Anaheim might be a better choice. Good quality of life.

Reactions: Corby78

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't know if I buy that there are so many options to replace him but if he has to go then he has to go. Cap space has value but in itself I'm not sure it's enough value coming back unless he's believed to be addition by subtraction. Maybe so. It's convenient enough to make 92 the next to be voted off the island but a more comprehensive and critical approach is likely needed. Not that he isn't a fundamental problem but I'd still hesitate to rush into concluding getting rid of him for whatever is a brilliant move and that cap space is enough.

The only free agent center that could maybe do a reasonable job offensively is Krejci and who knows if he's even considering leaving Boston at this stage. I doubt it. Danault is strong defensively but I don't know how well that would translate. Stopgaps might make them a transitional team. Maybe that's unavoidable due to the cap but if so it come across as pretty muddled. They need to avoid the muddled, mushy middle of mediocrity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corby78

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't know if I buy that there are so many options to replace him but if he has to go then he has to go..

I saw them mention to viable options Vegas and the Ducks. The others have to be on his no trade list. I think that the only way they trade him is if the relationship with the players(primarily the core players) is broken beyond repair. I think if they will accept him that MacLellan will suck it up and hope for the best.

I just dont expect anything on this front to happen. Its now just something to talk about in the off season. That said MacLellan always seems to do what he needs to do.

I am thinking the big off season move is going to be finding a team for Kempny

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yep, as predicted, we might be screwed and be forced to keep this “flake” and his “divisive presence”…;)

Pretty damning comments and unnamed quotes.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Moving Kempny is small potatoes. It needs to happen but it's more perfunctory than impactful.

VGK/ANA may be prime players for Eichel so you'd think that needs to happen first. Given some of the recent reports on BUF's ask maybe that doesn't even happen until after the expansion draft at the entry draft. The one bit of leverage here for Washington may be threatening to leave Kuznetsov unprotected for Seattle in the hopes he waives for a better, more competitive team. Who knows if it'd work but if the relationship is toxic then hoping Seattle takes him off their hands can't be ruled out.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't know if I buy that there are so many options to replace him but if he has to go then he has to go. Cap space has value but in itself I'm not sure it's enough value coming back unless he's believed to be addition by subtraction. Maybe so. It's convenient enough to make 92 the next to be voted off the island but a more comprehensive and critical approach is likely needed. Not that he isn't a fundamental problem but I'd still hesitate to rush into concluding getting rid of him for whatever is a brilliant move and that cap space is enough.

The only free agent center that could maybe do a reasonable job offensively is Krejci and who knows if he's even considering leaving Boston at this stage. I doubt it. Danault is strong defensively but I don't know how well that would translate. Stopgaps might make them a transitional team. Maybe that's unavoidable due to the cap but if so it come across as pretty muddled. They need to avoid the muddled, mushy middle of mediocrity.

Really dislike the idea of adding Krejci. There's a reason Boston traded for Hall and that's because the second line, including Krejci, wasn't getting it done offensively. I'm not sure what he really adds to DC. Same with Danault, who is a strong defensive player but just cannot score or create offense.

Not a free agent but I'd like to see them take a hard run at Hertl. The cap hit is more than reasonable at $5.625M, he drives play with the best of them, he scores at 5v5, he's strong defensively, he's been very good in the postseason, and for those who care he's 53% at the dot for his career. He's also a lefty so he could fit in on the PP either below the goal-line or at the half-wall.

I'm not sure exactly how available he is in a trade but I'd at least take a good look at him and wouldn't be afraid to part with significant assets if that's what it takes, especially if they can agree to a contract extension. He's the type of player the Capitals need to replace Kuznetsov. If he's not available in the offseason I'd like them to at least keep their eyes on him going into the season and at the TDL if the Sharks aren't competing for a playoff spot and Hertl doesn't re-sign with them. He only has a 3-team trade list so he'd likely have to waive but I think it's possible that he'd consider waiving for Washington.

Reactions: MW6

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Ok...I'll bite. Why would the NHL fix the lottery for the Capitals? Particularly since they went so out of their way to screw them in the next draft?
?
Oh you meant the Ovie draft was rigged? We won the fair, it was the lockout draft that was rigged to hurt the Caps.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Really dislike the idea of adding Krejci. There's a reason Boston traded for Hall and that's because the second line, including Krejci, wasn't getting it done offensively. I'm not sure what he really adds to DC. Same with Danault, who is a strong defensive player but just cannot score or create offense.

Not a free agent but I'd like to see them take a hard run at Hertl. The cap hit is more than reasonable at $5.625M, he drives play with the best of them, he scores at 5v5, he's strong defensively, he's been very good in the postseason, and for those who care he's 53% at the dot for his career. He's also a lefty so he could fit in on the PP either below the goal-line or at the half-wall.

I'm not sure exactly how available he is in a trade but I'd at least take a good look at him and wouldn't be afraid to part with significant assets if that's what it takes, especially if they can agree to a contract extension. He's the type of player the Capitals need to replace Kuznetsov. If he's not available in the offseason I'd like them to at least keep their eyes on him going into the season and at the TDL if the Sharks aren't competing for a playoff spot and Hertl doesn't re-sign with them. He only has a 3-team trade list so he'd likely have to waive but I think it's possible that he'd consider waiving for Washington.
I’m in agreement that Krecji isn’t the guy (unless it’s a 1-2 year deal) but I’m not against Krecji for the same reason(s) you are. Krecji was a beast this year and made part of a nice second line with Craig Smith but DeBrusk fell off a cliff and no one could fill that other wing. Krecji is also slower than Kuz and I don’t want to be relying on two 34-year old slow-of-foot centers as our top two guys when the league is getting younger and faster. I’m also hesitant to grab Krecji because he wouldn’t be utilized on the PP which is one of his strengths. If they lose Kuznetsov then Mantha is the obvious replacement but the PP would have to be changed completely in order for Krecji to be effective and while that might be necessary, it’s not happening if Ovi plays 1:40 of every 2:00 penalty.

That said, this team is definitely stronger defensively if they get Krecji and they lose their worst faceoff guy in exchange for a strong faceoff guy by swapping Kuz for Krecji.

And your snippet from The Athletic is good — quoting a piece of an article behind a paywall is fine as long as you’re not quoting a large portion of the article.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Dream on re: Hertl. The Caps are largely asset poor, which is why dumping Kuznetsov hurts. They already took a relatively big swing on Mantha. Hard to see them realistically moving McMichael+ for a center replacement. It's just burning through assets and draining the future. The sort of hockey deals you want they're probably not even entertaining.

They could conceivably put 92's money to better use but I don't know how many needle movers there are to be had on the cheap. Even with all of the names floated the vast majority fall short of being core performers to the level needed going forward. I wouldn't hate bringing Schmidt back for the added pace/athleticism but it's not enough bigger picture. Hamilton could make for a decent 1/2 RD punch but will require lots of term and his tenacity is questionable. The centers in UFA are stopgaps. A lot of the more prominent UFA wingers probably re-sign but even if they don't I wouldn't expect MacLellan to sign one only to ship another out. Modestly reliable and more stable pieces could be a net plus but they're at a super tricky stage.

Even Krejci, IMO the best UFA center of the bunch, probably doesn't cut it. They're in a situation where they need to think more comprehensively and honestly about where they are and I'm not sure they're operating from that vantage point. They seem much more likely to continue to force things and sort of pin their mismanagement on their obligation to remain competitive with 8/19. When the real problem is that organizationally they need to raise their game as those two players become less impactful. Lately the results suggest they're not up for that so my expectations this summer are fairly low. A conventional off-season for them probably puts them too close to the pack for comfort. Not to say they need to move a Carlson or Wilson and do something massive. I don't expect it. But they need to be more flexible in their approach and more honest about what they have, where they're at and their ability to maximize everything at their disposal.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Soooo, Nate Schmidt? I want him back, probably can get him at a good price.

Schmidt-Carlson
Orlov-TVR
Fehervary-Jensen

Works for me

Dillion for Schmidt

Schultz+ sweetener to Seattle
Vancouver's GM did say he wanted to add more muscle on the backend... Schmidt has regressed a bit and we'd also be adding salary + term but it would still be an upgrade

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Dream on re: Hertl. The Caps are largely asset poor, which is why dumping Kuznetsov hurts. They already took a relatively big swing on Mantha. Hard to see them realistically moving McMichael+ for a center replacement. It's just burning through assets and draining the future. The sort of hockey deals you want they're probably not even entertaining.

They could conceivably put 92's money to better use but I don't know how many needle movers there are to be had on the cheap. Even with all of the names floated the vast majority fall short of being core performers to the level needed going forward. I wouldn't hate bringing Schmidt back for the added pace/athleticism but it's not enough bigger picture. Hamilton could make for a decent 1/2 RD punch but will require lots of term and his tenacity is questionable. The centers in UFA are stopgaps. A lot of the more prominent UFA wingers probably re-sign but even if they don't I wouldn't expect MacLellan to sign one only to ship another out. Modestly reliable and more stable pieces could be a net plus but they're at a super tricky stage.

Even Krejci, IMO the best UFA center of the bunch, probably doesn't cut it. They're in a situation where they need to think more comprehensively and honestly about where they are and I'm not sure they're operating from that vantage point. They seem much more likely to continue to force things and sort of pin their mismanagement on their obligation to remain competitive with 8/19. When the real problem is that organizationally they need to raise their game as those two players become less impactful. Lately the results suggest they're not up for that so my expectations this summer are fairly low. A conventional off-season for them probably puts them too close to the pack for comfort. Not to say they need to move a Carlson or Wilson and do something massive. I don't expect it. But they need to be more flexible in their approach and more honest about what they have, where they're at and their ability to maximize everything at their disposal.

I agree they are unlikely to part with someone like McMichael to make a deal happen but I think they need to consider it. I'd like to see them compete for another Cup now, even if it means mortgaging the post-Ovechkin future a bit. I just don't see this as a roster as it currently stands that can get the job done, especially at center. Again, even if healthy what are we realistically expecting out of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie, Kuznetsov, and Carlson next season? They need more help, and while I like the Mantha addition he's probably more of a marginal upgrade than anything.

The question to me becomes how does McMichael fit into any sort of contention window? He's likely a few years away from contributing in a top 6 role, at which point Ovechkin and Backstrom will likely be unable to be big contributors at even strength and they'll be eating up a huge portion of the cap. So when McMichael is in his prime at 23-27 years old what does the team even look like then? Are they likely to be contenders? Hard to make that case IMO with the prospect pool as barren as it is and with their vets eating up so much of the cap. McMichael is likely going to have his best years when the team around him is going to be at their worst. Is there really any purpose to wasting your best prospect's prime around an aging cap-strapped roster, or would his value be better cashed in now to get an impact player that can legitimately help make the team contend now?

They need to contend this year and next year IMO, and I don't think they can do that without a better 1C than Kuznetsov or Backstrom. I don't disagree with your points about them needing to be honest about what they are but in that case they really have two options: sell everyone except 8 and 19 and begin the rebuild now or go all-in. A do-nothing summer is the worst of both worlds IMO, where they aren't legitimately going for another Cup now while also not doing what they can to position themselves for a Cup in the future. Just spinning their wheels and hoping to luck their way into a deep run (if they even make the postseason) seems foolish.

Personally I'm all for cashing in futures now, including McMichael if necessary, in order to get a few more runs at glory with 8 and 19 and then starting a painful rebuild after that.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’m in agreement that Krecji isn’t the guy (unless it’s a 1-2 year deal) but I’m not against Krecji for the same reason(s) you are. Krecji was a beast this year and made part of a nice second line with Craig Smith but DeBrusk fell off a cliff and no one could fill that other wing. Krecji is also slower than Kuz and I don’t want to be relying on two 34-year old slow-of-foot centers as our top two guys when the league is getting younger and faster. I’m also hesitant to grab Krecji because he wouldn’t be utilized on the PP which is one of his strengths. If they lose Kuznetsov then Mantha is the obvious replacement but the PP would have to be changed completely in order for Krecji to be effective and while that might be necessary, it’s not happening if Ovi plays 1:40 of every 2:00 penalty.

That said, this team is definitely stronger defensively if they get Krecji and they lose their worst faceoff guy in exchange for a strong faceoff guy by swapping Kuz for Krecji.

And your snippet from The Athletic is good — quoting a piece of an article behind a paywall is fine as long as you’re not quoting a large portion of the article.

I guess I'm just not seeing defense as the main issue with Washington (paradoxically, given their regular season GF and GA numbers of late). They lost to Boston, to the Islanders the year before that, and to Carolina the year before that because they couldn't score or generate offense at even strength. Over the past 3 postseasons the Capitals have only scored 1.57 goals/60 at 5v5 (23rd of 25 teams) and have only generated 1.73 xGF/60 (dead last out of 25 teams). Their goals against numbers aren't great either but I think that stems more from the inability of the forwards to possess the puck and do anything meaningful in the offensive zone, making the defense have to continually defend.

They need a legitimate offensive playdriver, which is why I don't think Krejci or Danault fit the bill. They may be Laviolette Guys but it's not enough. They need to be able to put the puck in the net at ES.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad