Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Off-Season Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It has to be a one timer to get the shot to the net before the goaltender is square. Just like with Ovechkin.
Goalie can be beat clean, right? Ovechkin isn't Kucherov as a passer. He doesn't have tons of practice deliberately feeding a one-timer. Maybe it could work but Stamkos also typically plays a lot closer to the net than Ovechkin. It's a different dynamic.

Carlson can't really set up Mantha without pivoting sort of unnaturally for him. It's an awkward angle. If there's a forward iso-ing on 8 then they need to capitalize on the resulting 4-on-3 and 3-on-2s. Creating a one-time threat from the other side won't necessarily break that tactic. They need to find ways, like net area tips, that flow from 19's playmaking ability. Maybe 19 could rotate to the other side and feed Mantha but, again, pace and crisp passing has to be the solution. Capitals players actually moving while that happens has to be what creates positional breakdowns. Being static makes life so much easier for PKers.

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Goalie can be beat clean, right? Ovechkin isn't Kucherov as a passer. He doesn't have tons of practice deliberately feeding a one-timer. Maybe it could work but Stamkos also typically plays a lot closer to the net than Ovechkin. It's a different dynamic.

Carlson can't really set up Mantha without pivoting sort of unnaturally for him. It's an awkward angle. If there's a forward iso-ing on 8 then they need to capitalize on the resulting 4-on-3 and 3-on-2s. Creating a one-time threat from the other side won't necessarily break that tactic. They need to find ways, like net area tips, that flow from 19's playmaking ability. Maybe 19 could rotate to the other side and feed Mantha but, again, pace and crisp passing has to be the solution. Capitals players actually moving while that happens has to be what creates positional breakdowns. Being static makes life so much easier for PKers.

Stamkos doesnt set Kucherov up for one time timers. Hedman does. Carlson is different from Orlov because he is right handed. His stick points toward the blue line rather than the slot. He doesnt pivot his body anymore than he does often with his passes from the right half wall that he is facing to receive from and the pass to Ovechkin. Part of that whole program is that Carlson receives the pass in a position to one time it himself. Right? For a return pass to be one timed he is already facing that player.

Langer, you are one of the smartest hockey guys here. I dont understand why you dont see this. I know I am not nuts. I will see about some video

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Stamkos doesnt set Kucherov up for one time timers. Hedman does.
Stamkos does at times as well if it's there. As a righty Carlson is teed up to feed 8 for one-timers, not Mantha. There's no lefty to make that play unless 19 rotates around but then that's not easy to pull off through traffic. Trying to reinvent the wheel in order to avoid movement is lazy and stupid.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Stamkos does at times as well if it's there. As a righty Carlson is teed up to feed 8 for one-timers, not Mantha. There's no lefty to make that play unless 19 rotates around but then that's not easy to pull off through traffic. Trying to reinvent the wheel in order to avoid movement is lazy and stupid.

So does Ovechkin. Its just that the puck receiver is not very capable. He shoots cross box seam passes regularly.

Who is reinventing the wheel? Backstrom and Kuznetsov swap spots with regularity. Swapping in Mantha just changes two passsers in those spots to a passer and a shooter

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

In Backstrom’s interview with Gefle Dagblad, he said that “I had surgery on [my hip] six years ago and then it was fine. Now, to be honest, it’s so-so.”
Backstrom was unsure if he would have been able to do a long playoff run.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

In Backstrom’s interview with Gefle Dagblad, he said that “I had surgery on [my hip] six years ago and then it was fine. Now, to be honest, it’s so-so.”

Backstrom was unsure if he would have been able to do a long playoff run.

“It’s always possible,” he said. “It’s just a question about what level you’re able to play.”
Backstrom admitted that the condensed schedule was a struggle.

“Sometimes we played seven games in eleven days,” Backstrom said. “Obviously, it took a toll on the body.”

Backstrom underwent an arthroscopic procedure on his hip in June 2015. “I’ve been in pain since sometime in November (2014) so we had to fix it,” Backstrom said then.

Backstrom, now 33, admitted that training and working out is more difficult as he’s entering the final years of his NHL career.

“You have to train smart to stay in shape,” Backstrom said. “When I was in my 20’s I could do two workouts a day and play some tennis in between. Now it’s more about doing the exercise I know my body can handle.”

Condensed 82 game season next year, possibly playing in the Olympics, and hopefully a long playoff run. I love Backstrom but they can't count on him to be the guy next year given his hip and the schedule next year. They need a 1C, badly.

Last edited:

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
makes me feel better about why he declined through the season, but does not make me feel better about moving forward. I would rather see him get another surgery (have no idea the feasibility) and sit out the start of next season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
No not today, but if this degenerates or his play declines to a standard they both (him and the team) agree is not good enough because of it, what is the recourse?

If he is unable to play because of an injury, he can be LTIR'd. That might be what happens. I am waiting for more information on this. MacLellan said he had a hip and that they were discussing what to do about it. I assume if he hasnt had surgery yet, that they arent going that direction.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He can be LTIR'd perennially if it comes to it ala Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Pronger, etc. Still gets paid but they're allowed to exceed the cap by his AAV. I don't think they're there quite yet but it might be on the horizon. If he can't withstand a playoff run? No bueno.

Btw, happy Kuznetsov Bonus Day. The Fourth Period, fwiw, links him to CBJ, SEA, ANA & FLA. I wonder if a Domi trade lines up if Dale gives a good review. Of those teams that may be the most obvious swap.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He can be LTIR'd perennially if it comes to it ala Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Pronger, etc. Still gets paid but they're allowed to exceed the cap by his AAV. I don't think they're there quite yet but it might be on the horizon. If he can't withstand a playoff run? No bueno.

Btw, happy Kuznetsov Bonus Day. The Fourth Period, fwiw, links him to CBJ, SEA, ANA & FLA. I wonder if a Domi trade lines up if Dale gives a good review. Of those teams that may be the most obvious swap.

upload_2021-7-1_17-50-20.gif

Reactions: max21

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
"Now it’s more about doing the exercise I know my body can handle.” Massive yikes.
Come on...

“You have to train smart to stay in shape,” Backstrom said. “When I was in my 20’s I could do two workouts a day and play some tennis in between. Now it’s more about doing the exercise I know my body can handle.”

It's just not even the same thing at all. Guy's talking about being hurt at the end of a condensed season and not necessarily handling a long playoff run, not preparing for LTIR. The f*** is this?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The playoffs are a “condensed season” every single year. Next year is going to be even worse than this year, with the full length schedule and Olympic break. I’m tired of people leaning on that excuse for why the team was hurt. If they can’t survive this “condensed season,” they aren’t going to survive a 20+ game playoff run.

Reactions: twabby

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
The playoffs are a “condensed season” every single year. Next year is going to be even worse than this year, with the full length schedule and Olympic break. I’m tired of people leaning on that excuse for why the team was hurt. If they can’t survive this “condensed season,” they aren’t going to survive a 20+ game playoff run.
This is what happens when your star players get in their mid thirties. I cant really recall the last team that won a cup with their star players being that old.

Reactions: Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
2002 Redwings had a old core of Russians
The 2002 Red Wings are also considered to be one of the best teams, if not the very best, ever assembled. Nine skaters and their starting goalie would end up in the Hall of Fame. Nearly half the team was invited to represent their countries in the Olympics that year. That roster could not be put together in the salary cap era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad