Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Off-Season Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Soooo, Nate Schmidt? I want him back, probably can get him at a good price.

Schmidt-Carlson
Orlov-TVR
Fehervary-Jensen

Works for me

Dillion for Schmidt

Schultz+ sweetener to Seattle

Lets find another way than elevating TvR from the nacho line to the top 4 and getting matched against the opposing top line. Also, who is boxing out and moving big screeners in defensive situations and on the pk in front of our young goalies? Nate Schmidt?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They need a legitimate offensive playdriver, which is why I don't think Krejci or Danault fit the bill. They may be Laviolette Guys but it's not enough. They need to be able to put the puck in the net at ES.

Goals and points are overrated. The Caps are not going to get a point per game or better center this off season.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The question to me becomes how does McMichael fit into any sort of contention window? He's likely a few years away from contributing in a top 6 role, at which point Ovechkin and Backstrom will likely be unable to be big contributors at even strength and they'll be eating up a huge portion of the cap. So when McMichael is in his prime at 23-27 years old what does the team even look like then? Are they likely to be contenders? Hard to make that case IMO with the prospect pool as barren as it is and with their vets eating up so much of the cap. McMichael is likely going to have his best years when the team around him is going to be at their worst. Is there really any purpose to wasting your best prospect's prime around an aging cap-strapped roster, or would his value be better cashed in now to get an impact player that can legitimately help make the team contend now?
They'll need those prime seasons from McMichael then. He may not be an all-around play driver but if they need that from a prospect they're going to be picking early anyway. Lapierre would be the one I'd think about moving for center help, esp. if they have concerns about his weaknesses as a pro. He won't carry as much value and if it's just a bland stopgap it's not worth it. They mostly need discipline and it has to come with some tolerance for risking a step back now and then. It has to come with being honest about what they've got, what they're missing and waiting to acquire it if need be rather than just adding the best convenient piece available. If it's not available it's not available. Don't force it and regret it. (Easy for me to say of course.) Given the rarity of 1Cs on the market Eichel should carry a ton of interest. But the AAV, the whole injury issue and BUF's reported ask of a top ten pick this year to start with makes it pretty doubtful. They're just going to have to make do with a muddled approach and be more resourceful and detailed. More likely I would guess that the combination of longstanding organizational culture, coaching and age combine to push them back to the pack...perhaps sooner than later. If they can't find and manufacture advantages it's inevitable. Making it all about work ethic isn't going to hunt without several upgrades.

Purging problems off of the roster may be heartening and defining but it doesn't make a group heavy lifters just by having everyone going in the same direction. That buy-in was a key quality of Trotz's teams and Trotz also managed to keep those problem players on board. That's a crucial skill. My way or the highway inevitably wears out its welcome, esp. these days when communication is so foundational. This is the downside of the intense motivational type...or at least this motivational type. I'm not sure I buy into their fundamentals until there's more patience and adherence to process. More results in fundamentally becoming a smarter, more disciplined group. More likely is just a lot of drama and ultimate under-performance due to blind work ethic when it matters. MacLellan is in a tough spot, not just in sorting out scoring-line center but in generally being more forward-thinking while juggling short-term competitiveness. It can't just be about next season. It also has to be about the culture being built over time (and in some regards he's already made his bed). I'm not sure he's truly got that next level of builder in him. It's a much taller task full of instability and variables than the situation he walked into seven years ago. Time will tell. I'd at least like signs of understanding where the game is headed beyond pace or else they're in danger of going stale and getting left behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jags and Rayquaza64

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
NHL July Calendar
  • July 17, The 30 other teams (excluding Las Vegas) have to submit their lists of protected players
  • July 21 @ 7:00 PM, the expansion draft occurs for Seattle
  • July 23, First round of the entry draft
  • July 24, Rounds 2-7 of the entry draft
  • July 28, at noon, free agency begins

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
So they really think some contender will take that contract without them buying it out? Good luck with that.

Scorlov

May 17, 2021
Lets find another way than elevating TvR from the nacho line to the top 4 and getting matched against the opposing top line. Also, who is boxing out and moving big screeners in defensive situations and on the pk in front of our young goalies? Nate Schmidt?

Who on Boston's blueline moved our biggest heaviest meanest meatiest screeners in the entire NHL out of the way of their goalies?

Reactions: twabby and Hivemind
Sep 19, 2008
Blues winger Vladimir Tarasenko requests a trade, per sources: Why he wants out, possible destinations and more

Tarasenko officially requested a trade due to team handling of past shoulder surgeries. I don't think there's a fit but there's mention he provided as many as ten teams he'd accept and it's likely he wants to contend.

Also included was mention of that 7/17 expansion protection submission date. Ten days for teams to make trades before then is fast approaching.
Hard pass

Even if we trade Kuzy we need a center in return

He's a winger

Reactions: Rayquaza64

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Wait now we're discussing Tarasenko? If he wasn't so broken I'd be down but last I'd heard he's one more shoulder injury away from being done

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Who on Boston's blueline moved our biggest heaviest meanest meatiest screeners in the entire NHL out of the way of their goalies?

Lets not compare Rask and the Caps baby goalies. The Caps need to protect goalies far more than the Bruins Rask. That said, the Caps are not really a jam the net team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The same Rask that was held together by toothpicks and duct tape these playoffs?

Yes. The veteran that is not as distracted and intimidated as a rookie would be. I get it. You dont see much value in clearing the crease and boxing players out from rebounds. Some of do. Some here saw no value in Brooks Orpik while others saw him as instrumental. Different strokes

Reactions: Calicaps

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
injuries had nothing to do with the point that I was making.

Funny how you use injuries to excuse every Caps flaw in the post-season, but don’t take them into account for other teams…

Moreover, you’re missing the actual point here. The point is that Boston didn’t protect its goaltender or that protecting the crease isn’t important. It’s that you’re simple “size = good at crease protection” mindset doesn’t match reality. Boston has a much smaller defense than the Capitals, especially with Chara in red as opposed to yellow. Carlo is a big rig, but they’re also running the 5’9” Grezlcyk for 20+/night. Their #1 D, McAvoy, played nearly 27min/night in the playoffs and gives up 4” compared to Carlson. Boston is average sized on their blue line, at best, while the Caps have one of the biggest D groups in the league (with or without Chara).
Despite all that size advantage for Washington, which team did a better job protecting their crease? The answer is easily Boston.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Kotkaniemi is the player I’d target to replace Kuznetsov. He has Barkov-upside and seems to be on the verge of putting it all together. Maybe something could be worked out around them. Not sure which pieces needs to be added.

Scorlov

May 17, 2021
Yes. The veteran that is not as distracted and intimidated as a rookie would be. I get it. You dont see much value in clearing the crease and boxing players out from rebounds. Some of do. Some here saw no value in Brooks Orpik while others saw him as instrumental. Different strokes

I'm just trying to understand why the Broad Street Bullies 2.0 of the NHL desperately need a lead footed shit shoveler in their top 4 while a team with a Grzelcyk-McAvoy/Reilly-Carlo top 4 breezed by against the anointed biggest toughest team in the league. Forgive me my hockey knowledge is not as far reaching as yours.

Also how do we get these magical players other teams have who play with serious injuries that don't impact their performance and needs on the ice whatsoever? And when did this guy become a model of consistency and composure?

tuukka+rask+stick+05.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->