Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Off-Season Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
These to be ignored guys are just young, most probably.

Ive been banned for life for trolling once even before this century. That just gets old at some moment for any adult. That last word is assumption though and isnt true for every poster. I guess people like to be kids nowadays.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Mantha for Tarasenko?
Posted similar thoughts in the Tarasenko thread on the main boards yesterday but also included Justin Schultz and the last year of his 4 millon dollar contract in order to make it work with the salary cap. Also included Pheonix Copley going to the Blues as I believe he's required to be part of any transaction the Capitals have with the Blues per the CBA.

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Posted similar thoughts in the Tarasenko thread on the main boards yesterday but also included Justin Schultz and the last year of his 4 millon dollar contract in order to make it work with the salary cap. Also included Pheonix Copley going to the Blues as I believe he's required to be part of any transaction the Capitals have with the Blues per the CBA.

I am not sure how the Caps replace Schultz if they trade him. Thats my main issue with that. My take is the only way the Caps get Tarasenko is if the teams he is willing to go to is very short and includes Washington, which is not out of the question. I guess I dont understand the Copley CBA thing.

The Caps do have a history trading with St Louis. The Caps have enough Russians for Tarasenko to feel comfortable. I'll say this much. If he can shoot a one timer like this consistently opposing pks will have a hard time taking away Ov and letting Tarasenko have that shot.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Whenever you can get older, slower and more banged up you absolutely have to do it.

Is Tarasenko slow? MacLellan seems to get good health info on imcoming players. I certainly would consider it if they got good info on his shoulder.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Is Tarasenko slow? MacLellan seems to get good health info on imcoming players. I certainly would consider it if they got good info on his shoulder.
Yes. Also worse defensively and smaller, albeit stocky, with a higher AAV and less term left. MacLellan targeted Mantha for a reason. I'd be very surprised if he quickly flipped him, esp. for an older winger with some questions.

Kuznetsov could make some sense for STL if they free up cap space via Tarasenko, want Schenn on the wing and don't think Thomas is totally ready yet. But they've got a lot to navigate, just as the Caps do. To me the Caps don't really need names, certainly not name wingers. A name defenseman? Somewhat logical for contention's sake. More two-way glue guys with pace? Again, logical. Tarasenko is shiny I guess. Resist shiny.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes. Also worse defensively and smaller, albeit stocky, with a higher AAV and less term left. MacLellan targeted Mantha for a reason. I'd be very surprised if he quickly flipped him, esp. for an older winger with some questions.

Kuznetsov could make some sense for STL if they free up cap space via Tarasenko, want Schenn on the wing and don't think Thomas is totally ready yet. But they've got a lot to navigate, just as the Caps do. To me the Caps don't really need names, certainly not name wingers. A name defenseman? Somewhat logical for contention's sake. More two-way glue guys with pace? Again, logical. Tarasenko is shiny I guess. Resist shiny.

I was just asking questions. Tarasenko can shoot the one timer. Mantha didnt show me much in that regard, but MacLellan is not known for wild and erratic movements like trading for or signing a free agent player and then ditching them right away.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There are several reasons why someone might not view Mantha as a fit on this team, but implying Mantha can’t shoot a one timer…. :biglaugh:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
While we are acquiring Tarasenko should we also go for Lucic and Neal too? I hear they could be available.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There are several reasons why someone might not view Mantha as a fit on this team, but implying Mantha can’t shoot a one timer…. :biglaugh:

Ok. Thats good. He played some Caps games and while I am not critical of him, he didnt do that on the Caps pp. I dont remember him shooting a single one timer.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ok. Thats good. He played some Caps games and while I am not critical of him, he didnt do that on the Caps pp. I dont remember him shooting a single one timer.

It was definitely underutilized in his short time as a Cap so far. No question.

Mantha could be the guy the Caps need but so far his skills have not been maximized. This is probably just because of the TDL acquisition and current roster constraints.

If Lavi/Gmbm can put him on a line that takes advantage of his puckhandling and one-timer, with him as the primary shooter, he could be a 30+ goal guy pretty easily.

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It was definitely underutilized in his short time as a Cap so far. No question.

Mantha could be the guy the Caps need but so far his skills have not been maximized. This is probably just because of the TDL acquisition and current roster constraints.

If Lavi/Gmbm can put him on a line that takes advantage of his puckhandling and one-timer, with him as the primary shooter, he could be a 30+ goal guy pretty easily.

I am less interested in his even strenth assignment as I am with the power play. His one timer from the Backstrom spot is the key to getting the PK off of Ov. Oshie scoring was a start and his chances were starting to return, but a legit scoring threat from the right wing circle is key.

The issue is balance and movement. Backstrom cant be effective from the corner and Mantha cant shoot from there. Right now the pk is giving the Caps the right wing circle shot all day because they know neither Backstrom nor Kuzy can shoot it. If Mantha was scoring one timers from there, they just couldnt do that anymore. The issue is that you cant post him there because possession and zone time and puck movement would suffer if Backstrom were moved off his spot.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Why does it have to be a one-timer? Who is going to set him up? They're not really configured for that. Setup wristers will have to do. Mantha can and should also do more net area play, including tips.

The key to opening up more space for Ovechkin is more pace and crisper passing in general. Static setups don't do enough to create breakdowns. They can capitalize in small positional mistakes but they don't do enough to create more serious havoc.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I am less interested in his even strenth assignment as I am with the power play. His one timer from the Backstrom spot is the key to getting the PK off of Ov. Oshie scoring was a start and his chances were starting to return, but a legit scoring threat from the right wing circle is key.

The issue is balance and movement. Backstrom cant be effective from the corner and Mantha cant shoot from there. Right now the pk is giving the Caps the right wing circle shot all day because they know neither Backstrom nor Kuzy can shoot it. If Mantha was scoring one timers from there, they just couldnt do that anymore. The issue is that you cant post him there because possession and zone time and puck movement would suffer if Backstrom were moved off his spot.

Well when the trade was announced I speculated exactly that re: the PP possibilities. I think it's worth a shot even if it means moving Backstrom below the net or even to Carlson's spot. The payoff potential is too great and should be tried.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Why does it have to be a one-timer? Who is going to set him up? They're not really configured for that. Setup wristers will have to do. Mantha can and should also do more net area play, including tips.

The key to opening up more space for Ovechkin is more pace and crisper passing in general. Static setups don't do enough to create breakdowns. They can capitalize in small positional mistakes but they don't do enough to create more serious havoc.

If he's on the right shot he can always cycle with players in other spots.

The stagnation of the formation is the problem. All you have to do as a PK is try to take away the obvious passing lanes and pressure the puck, while shading Ovechkin.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well when the trade was announced I speculated exactly that re: the PP possibilities. I think it's worth a shot even if it means moving Backstrom below the net or even to Carlson's spot. The payoff potential is too great and should be tried.

If you go up and look at the Tarasenko one timer that I posted he starts in the corner and swaps with the half wall guy and immediately shoots the one timer. That is probably is how it would have to work.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

It has to be a one timer to get the shot to the net before the goaltender is square. Just like with Ovechkin. With Tampa both Stamkos and Kucherov shoot the one timer. You cant shade to Stamkos like that.

Carlson sets him up. It makes kit easier for Orlov to set him up.

I disagree that pace and crisp passing will get Ovechkin space. When the pk has a man dedicated to Ovechkin, puck movement away from him has no effect. The guy is just watching Ov, Whe the box as a whole is packed back toward the slot like it has been til just recently the pk players dont move to standing Carlson's shooting lanes and block the passing lane to Oshie. They give the entire RW circle up. Passing pace really has little effect because the players dont really chase the puck. They are concerned with 3 players and dont care about the other 2

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
While we are acquiring Tarasenko should we also go for Lucic and Neal too? I hear they could be available.
Absolutely! Keep in mind the team's window that has been referenced in similar threads for three years now. It's the reason the team continues to piss away draft picks at the TDL and some here beckon for BMAC to do something everytime the TDL is near.:deadhorse

:wally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad