Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 5: 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Tyson Barrie seems like he'd be right at home with the Caps blueline. Why not go full f***-up for the entertainment value? Kind of like an younger MG52.

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Agree. Gallant made Vegas an extremely hard team to play against which is exactly what the Caps are missing. They played fast, heavy, and aggressive. The Caps aren’t any of those things right now. If they’re making a change I hope it’s Gallant.

Yeah, Gallant got a bunch of underdogs & 3rd liners to play hard. And then his GM added a few reputable veterans and suddenly Gallant lost his touch and got himself fired in seemingly record time. So I have my doubts.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Yeah, Gallant got a bunch of underdogs & 3rd liners to play hard. And then his GM added a few reputable veterans and suddenly Gallant lost his touch and got himself fired in seemingly record time. So I have my doubts.
They have the 2nd best cf%, best shot share, and best xG% in the league the last 2 years at even strength. The problem is they also have the 10th lowest SH% and 7th lowest SV%. He didn’t lose his touch, Fleury regressed badly and their top line from 2018 turned back into the solid 2nd line players they are.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Tyson Barrie seems like he'd be right at home with the Caps blueline. Why not go full f*ck-up for the entertainment value? Kind of like an younger MG52.

Why not get the authentic Greenie? Plus/minus is such a meaningless stat, anyway.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
They have the 2nd best cf%, best shot share, and best xG% in the league the last 2 years at even strength. The problem is they also have the 10th lowest SH% and 7th lowest SV%. He didn’t lose his touch, Fleury regressed badly and their top line from 2018 turned back into the solid 2nd line players they are.

Well by that logic Reirden has been working miracles this year with Hotby crapping the bed.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Boudreau doesn't work, he's never worked. He has literally only made it past the second round once. Why the f*ck would we bring back a guy to fix a listless team who was notorious for f*cking listless teams? I swear the people advocating for BB seem like they never paid attention or watched in that era.

What are our problems now? Defense. Motivation. Staying with our assignments.

These are literally the three things that got BB run out of DC.

Y'all want to bring in a guy who couldn't accomplish anything here the first time. Or in Anaheim. Or in Minnesota?

Stupid.

If you're going to fire Reirden then at least try something new. Gerard Gallant is easily the best coach available, the list begins and ends with him. Not Bourdreau, not Laviolette, not Babcock.

GG took a team of bottom 6 players to the Cup.

Lavi has a cup and took everyone team he ever coached to the finals. He wipes his ass with Gallant pretty easy

Reactions: kicksavedave

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Well by that logic Reirden has been working miracles this year with Hotby crapping the bed.
Vegas has a lower save percentage at even strength than Washington this year. I’m not arguing for/against Reirden right now just pointing out that Gallant had Vegas playing some really good hockey.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
This team needs a coaching formula that has proven to win a Cup(Laviolette). Gallant had one magical season with a fairly good handed roster from all the other NHL teams! Before that '18 run to the Final, Gallant did pretty good coaching the Panthers, but not great. Gallant would be a definite upgrade over Reirden, but there is a hidden story that he doesn't get along with some players/management. Laviolette would be an upgrade over Gallant. His track record makes him the best available coach to hire and he has a lot of experience coaching against the Metro teams(Caps have been bad against their own division).
Ted isn’t going to pay a coach. He hasn’t in Ovi era. He’s cheap when it comes to coaches

Reactions: txpd

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
They need Babcock. I don't give a f*ck what anybody says. They can hate him all they want. Only thing that matters is following his game plan. Period.
If they hate him why would they follow his game plan?

Babcock is cancer and has demonstrated zero ability to manage a room. Even the Red Wings hated him, as time goes on it seems more likely that like the 6 HoF players they had are why they won, not him.

Also Babcock’s gameplay rarely adjusts, his adjustments usually are just telling the media his players are the reason it failed.

Any team would be insane to bring him in

Reactions: Heath and Calicaps

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
They need Babcock. I don't give a f*ck what anybody says. They can hate him all they want. Only thing that matters is following his game plan. Period.

Babcock is garbage
Lavi’s shtick gets old after 2-3 years and he’s gone

Gallant is a good choice but something is off with him being fired from 2 teams after doing fairly well there. He must be hard to work with

Face it, Todd is here for at least one more year

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Babcock is garbage
Lavi’s shtick gets old after 2-3 years and he’s gone

Gallant is a good choice but something is off with him being fired from 2 teams after doing fairly well there. He must be hard to work with

Face it, Todd is here for at least one more year

Todd’s here next year, but not without a shakeup of the assistants. It’s worth remembering they’re not actually Todd’s guys, but people GMBM and front office helped select to try to help Todd. Arniel is a former head coach of CBJ - something GMBM expressly said he wanted - while Cashman and Scott Murray were bumped up from Hershey to very mixed results. Forsyth probably doesn’t even have a contract, but has been there so long he’s the guy no one thinks to question because he’s never not been there.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Since it appears that we're in spitballing trade mode, Montreal likes their Russians.

Kuznetsov, Kempny or Jensen and Panik to Montreal for Shea Weber, Max Domi and Nate Thompson. Kuzy/Weber salaries are basically a wash, though Weber has an extra year.

Caps obtain that elusive RD.

Resign Dillon and Gudas in the off season.

20/21 season Caps d:
Orlov - Carlson
Dillon - Weber
Fehervary - Gudas
Siegenthaler

Domi will become 3C, Eller moves up to 2C

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Wilson
Vrana - Eller - Oshie
Hagelin - Domi - Hershey player
Malenstyn - Dowd - Hathaway

Laviolette behind the bench

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
If I understand it correctly Babcock though fired from the Leafs is still earning 6.25 through to the end of the 22/23 season from the Leafs. If he took a coaching position elsewhere then that would void the Leafs contract. So it makes sense to Babcock to just sit and wait, plus he's tormenting the Leafs while he's doing it.

Reactions: Heath

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Since it appears that we're in spitballing trade mode, Montreal likes their Russians.

Kuznetsov, Kempny or Jensen and Panik to Montreal for Shea Weber, Max Domi and Nate Thompson. Kuzy/Weber salaries are basically a wash, though Weber has an extra year.

Domi will become 3C, Eller

Laviolette behind the bench

Weber's ankle is being held together with super glue and his contract sucks. Domi is getting a big raise in the summer, like the total salaries or Hagelin/Panik combined. And they have CMM coming so why do they need Domi?

And these old recycled coaches, sure that will work.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If I understand it correctly Babcock though fired from the Leafs is still earning 6.25 through to the end of the 22/23 season from the Leafs. If he took a coaching position elsewhere then that would void the Leafs contract. So it makes sense to Babcock to just sit and wait, plus he's tormenting the Leafs while he's doing it.

You’ve seen his actual contract or seen this verified somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad