Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 5: 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
You mean like when the 2016 pens had to get Daley, Schultz and Hagelin mid season?

I'm not sure, but I think this is the part where I am supposed to be convinced of something by you quoting a single example. Did they also sacrifice a goat that year, and if so, how soon do you think the Caps should plan the ceremony?

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
This team is good enough to be legit cup contenders on paper. just need to play like it now.. I am not super inspired by Reirden.. but he's the guy going forward for this year at least.. He needs to step up and get this team playing with their heavy/skilled identity.. and take care of the damn puck.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
This team is good enough to be legit cup contenders on paper. just need to play like it now.. I am not super inspired by Reirden.. but he's the guy going forward for this year at least.. He needs to step up and get this team playing with their heavy/skilled identity.. and take care of the damn puck.

This is probably a topic of debate that will last a century, but I tend to think these are professionals and its up to them to get motivated to perform their best when needed, not necessarily on the coach to get them to play to their ability over all 82 regular season games. I have a hard time thinking they only get up when the coach gives them a proper speech, or threatens them with some punishment like benching. I think its natural that players take stretches of games off over a 6 month RS and a coach who beats them up over it won't last too long.We already know a coach cannot just bench everyone to make them ALL step up to their potential. We also know when this team plays with purpose, they can pretty much demolish anyone.

So yeah, on paper, this team should compete for a Cup. And a lot of people will blame TR if they don't compete properly. But I will be blaming some players like Kuzy or Holtby if we don't get a Cup worthy performance out of them. I just don't think its "Trotz vs Tood" when it comes to making Kuzy care, its up to Kuzy.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
This is probably a topic of debate that will last a century, but I tend to think these are professionals and its up to them to get motivated to perform their best when needed, not necessarily on the coach to get them to play to their ability over all 82 regular season games. I have a hard time thinking they only get up when the coach gives them a proper speech, or threatens them with some punishment like benching. I think its natural that players take stretches of games off over a 6 month RS and a coach who beats them up over it won't last too long.We already know a coach cannot just bench everyone to make them ALL step up to their potential. We also know when this team plays with purpose, they can pretty much demolish anyone.

So yeah, on paper, this team should compete for a Cup. And a lot of people will blame TR if they don't compete properly. But I will be blaming some players like Kuzy or Holtby if we don't get a Cup worthy performance out of them. I just don't think its "Trotz vs Tood" when it comes to making Kuzy care, its up to Kuzy.

Can't really argue with that... but I think this 2 month stretch is a little longer than the normal reg season slumps you would expect teams to go through. I also think there might be a bit of both going on.... Can't fault Todd for the Kuzy's of the world.. but by late Feb, the fan base should be able to tell what the team's identity is.. and I just dont think you can.. they havent played a cohesive system in over 2 months.

the team is easily pressured into making bad decisions with the puck.. is it that on the players just not being focused? or is it on the coaches not breaking down other team's forchecks and adjusting the plan of attack?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Can't really argue with that... but I think this 2 month stretch is a little longer than the normal reg season slumps you would expect teams to go through. I also think there might be a bit of both going on.... Can't fault Todd for the Kuzy's of the world.. but by late Feb, the fan base should be able to tell what the team's identity is.. and I just dont think you can.. they havent played a cohesive system in over 2 months.

the team is easily pressured into making bad decisions with the puck.. is it that on the players just not being focused? or is it on the coaches not breaking down other team's forchecks and adjusting the plan of attack?

I would say if this happened every game all year, it would be easily attributable to coaching/scheme. But when we see game after game, they play like crap for 2 periods them blow shit up for the 3rd period, it tells me they know how to play, what to do, but only do it when they have to. Which to me is 100% on the players.

I'm still holding out hope that they are just saving gas for the playoffs, putting out only the bare minimum effort to save themselves for what matters. When the Caps are on their game, its heavy, hard hitting. That takes a toll and playing like that all year long is a recipe for being burned out in April. This is just my hope, but we will see what their energy level looks like in April and then toss blame around all we want :)

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Wonder if Kovy is still good at the shootout. Was amazing in Olympics.

LOL at potential 1,2 of Oshie, Kovy in shootout when they were 2 best in Olympic shootout.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
mod edits

1. How strongly did you feel that the Caps were a contender going into the deadline period?
2. To the extent that they were a contender, how many/what kind of moves did you think they should've made? (I'm asking your SUBJECTIVE opinion, in case you feel the urge to tilt at windmills again).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Calicaps and usiel

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
1. How strongly did you feel that the Caps were a contender going into the deadline period?
2. To the extent that they were a contender, how many/what kind of moves did you think they should've made? (I'm asking your SUBJECTIVE opinion, in case you feel the urge to tilt at windmills again).

They seem like they have a crapload of issues because you watch them every game. Most of these "issues" were present while they were the top team in the league. You think all the teams below them didn't have "issues" of their own? Boston was the toast of the league yet went through some putrid losing streaks and lost like 16 in a row to us for instance. You site "inconsistent" goaltending yet we have a better goaltending than St. Louis did last year and on par with what we had in 2018 when Holtby had his head up his ass during the regular season as well.

As per your "seven issues", 2009 Pens, 2012 Kings, 2016 Pens were all a much bigger mess at their respective trade deadlines before going on to win it all.

As for the deadline moves, I'd have done what they did but also possibly swapped DeMelo for Jensen and got Joe Thornton to center the 4th line, or a Nick Cousins/Derek Grant. I'd have also brought Lavi in over Reirden but I can understand why firing him at this point could screw the organization. But they're still as well positioned as anyone. Tampa gave up 3 first rounders loading up and their top pairing RD is Jan Rutta. Carolina bought half the defense in the league and may end up hitting up that zamboni driver again in the playoffs because their goaltending is so depleted. Everyone has issues. Just because the Capitals aren't the Super Number One favorite at this point like Tampa was last year (how did that go for them) doesn't mean they don't have a great chance if they go for it. They have experience, skill, depth, a skater group that can go toe to toe with every team in the league, and their one "weakness" (Holtby + Samsonov) is still one of the better playoff team goaltending tandems. And it's gonna get way harder from here on out for the oldest team in the league to be in this position over and over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: artilector

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
All I can say is the Caps will go as far as their goaltending takes them.

There are a few teams in this boat, but the Caps I think are number one in terms of this issue. I know defense is part of it and that will have to shore itself up but if Holtby gives up muffin goals like the game seven Staal goal last season the Caps are done before they even begin.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Jun 15, 2007
The price for Vatanen was so low I wonder if GMBM even inquired.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Isn't he still out on IR with a leg injury? Can't find the exact injury though, and you never know how those leg injuries turn out..

UFA, out with ankle injury and on IR, also I was looking at his game played and man does he miss a lot of time. Very Mike Green-esq, red flags galore if you want to sign him.

I don't get why you trade for him. :dunno:

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 10.20.29 AM.png

Last edited:

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Now we have some forwards. If the playoffs were played with six lines, we could play:

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
Kovalchuk-Eller-Hagelin
Panik-Dowd-Hathaway
McMichael-Boyd-Sprong
Leipsic-Pinho-Malenstyn

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
In case if you ever wondered who the Capitals' version of David Ayers is:

Meet an Emergency Goalie for the Washington Capitals

Trevor Hanger is a political strategist by day and a backup NHL player by night.

The Caps contacted Hanger, who played hockey growing up and throughout college, before the 2017-18 season and asked if he’d be interested. EBUGs are typically unpaid. Hanger, a strategic adviser for a government-affairs firm, was nominated by a former Yale classmate who works with the Caps.

EBUG-1-1-scaled.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad