Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 1: Drop. The. Puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You’d rather some other teams prospects be the top scorers for these leagues?

I don’t think anyone is saying “oh My GOD.....since Protas and McMichael are leading their leagues in scoring, that absolutely guarantees those 2 will be sure fire NHL ALL STARS!!!!”

rather it’s cool to see they are doing so well in where they are. And it also should mean they are close to being ready to move on to the next level (AHL) after the seasons are over.

or they could be Pens/Canes/Isles etc prospects and their respective fan bases could be excited?
It guarantees nothing. Several super stars in junior became only average NHL players or even career minot league. Players like Brian Sakic or Dale Derkatch are perfect examples. Or a player like Doug Wickenheiser who was a stud in jumior and a first overall draft pick only to become a mediocre player in the NHL. It happens more often than you may think.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It guarantees nothing. Several super stars in junior became only average NHL players or even career minot league. Players like Brian Sakic or Dale Derkatch are perfect examples. Or a player like Doug Wickenheiser who was a stud in jumior and a first overall draft pick only to become a mediocre player in the NHL. It happens more often than you may think.
Again, no one is stating it guarantees anything. Not a single poster.

And as I stated — would you rather they be a prospect for a rival of ours? Drafted where they were and doing as well as they are?

I’m sure the answer is “no”. So there it is then.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Again, no one is stating it guarantees anything. Not a single poster.

And as I stated — would you rather they be a prospect for a rival of ours? Drafted where they were and doing as well as they are?

I’m sure the answer is “no”. So there it is then.

Some people just like to argue.

Anyway, it is nice to see so many prospects doing well. The greater the quantity, the more likely you'll strike gold on one or two of them. :)

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Success is guaranteed, 60% of the time they work out all the time, they’ve done studies you know

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Success is guaranteed, 60% of the time they work out all the time, they’ve done studies you know
First of all 60% success rate is far from guaranteed. And how can you say 60% of the the time they work out all the time. That makes no sense at all since all the time would be 100%.
I don't feel a 60% success rate is very good but I'm not even convinced it is that high. What is your source?
BTW the players we are talking about are playing very well for their junior teams but I highly doubt either becomes an NHL superstar. The odds are against them.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
maaco is just arguing for the sake of arguing because the team is playing too well and his homeboy even scored a goal last game so he doesn't even have to defend Chandler anymore.
You do realize that I'm not arguing. Just stating a fact. And then of course everyone puts in their 2 cents.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
First of all 60% success rate is far from guaranteed. And how can you say 60% of the the time they work out all the time. That makes no sense at all since all the time would be 100%.
I don't feel a 60% success rate is very good but I'm not even convinced it is that high. What is your source?
sexpanther.com

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
You’d rather some other teams prospects be the top scorers for these leagues?

I don’t think anyone is saying “oh My GOD.....since Protas and McMichael are leading their leagues in scoring, that absolutely guarantees those 2 will be sure fire NHL ALL STARS!!!!”

rather it’s cool to see they are doing so well in where they are. And it also should mean they are close to being ready to move on to the next level (AHL) after the seasons are over.

or they could be Pens/Canes/Isles etc prospects and their respective fan bases could be excited?
This. Totally agree.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Kempny out for playoffs was massive.

This is a great start to a season. Fantastic.

Carlson is playing out of his mind, but so is Orlov and Kempny for me. Orlov a huge huge leap up from last year. He’s now a vet and anchoring big defensive minutes whilst showing offensive flair when he can.

we have such great versatility in the bottom 6. Hathaway is a beauty down there, as is Leipsic who honestly could have a lot more points and I think is a great injury cover should something happen in the top 6. Touch wood.

Really proud of Holtby for getting his groove going. Could have been a scary moment had he not. But let’s not think bout that.

Kuzy is playing attacking and harder hockey. I think he is going to have a very strong season and another chance to dominate playoffs.

Vrana is playing with the puck like Kuzy... that shot though. Not to dissimilar from Willys shot to be honest. He has an absolute laser that most hockey fans wouldn’t know about.

ease up on Siegs. He is 6 foot 3 and 22 years old playing his first proper season. What more do you people want? He is getting good PK minutes and doing his job fine.

team is looking good.
Siegs sucks. Everyone else is playing well.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
BTW the players we are talking about are playing very well for their junior teams but I highly doubt either becomes an NHL superstar. The odds are against them.
Here you go, bud.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=pjvQFtlNQ-M&usg=AOvVaw2AxEotW3lctnB45cdqQwYl

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I know it’s only 16 games in....but, I will say it.

This may be the best positioned that this franchise has ever been in. Ever.

They have as “complete” a team as perhaps ever....even considering the last 10yr run. They have a tremendous amount of players “waiting in the wings” down at Hershey. So much so that I’m not really worried about any injuries right now....obviously in the playoffs is a different animal, but I think they could still win a lot of games without any one player (even Gr8 Eight). The coaching and systems seem very well in accordance with each other, and seem to maximize the talent of the team.

Add to it a terrific GM, the confidence that a team has with being a recent Champion, and this franchise has it all.

Only area that needs works is the prospect pipeline for the forwards, and that took a seemingly major leap forward this past summer.

extremely heady times, even if they don’t win the Cup again. We need to enjoy this NOW, as who knows how long it will last.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

They have as “complete” a team as perhaps ever....even considering the last 10yr run. They have a tremendous amount of players “waiting in the wings” down at Hershey. So much so that I’m not really worried about any injuries right now....obviously in the playoffs is a different animal, but I think they could still win a lot of games without any one player (even Gr8 Eight). The coaching and systems seem very well in accordance with each other, and seem to maximize the talent of the team.

Add to it a terrific GM, the confidence that a team has with being a recent Champion, and this franchise has it all.

Only area that needs works is the prospect pipeline for the forwards, and that took a seemingly major leap forward this past summer.

extremely heady times, even if they don’t win the Cup again. We need to enjoy this NOW, as who knows how long it will last.

Regular season, I agree. I still feel that in the playoffs either of the two major injuries that happened last year, Kempny and Oshie, would be just as devastating this year. Those are both very good players but they shouldn't be irreplaceable.

Right now we are still one injury away from top-6 Hagelin or top-4 Siegenthaler. Hopefully, something that BMac addresses before the playoffs.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Not that I disagree that we're in great shape, but we are allowing over 3 goals a game so far this season.

And I'd say our depth is okay, until someone important gets hurt. (as traparatus said)

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Too many ppl expect big kid Siege to be fearless warrior on D, puck eater on PK and crease clearer to round it all. And to not make any mistakes on breakout. Was Orpik himself mistake free?

That kid and Panik are the lone concerns we have. Understandable, but come on.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

I've always felt (but more and more increasingly so) that the Caps last year were feeling the double whammy of a long weary summer with little rest and lots of partying, and the education of a new rookie head coach. Kind of like last year with Davey Martinez on the Nationals.

Now getting healthy, feeling more refreshed and plus a full year under TR's belt, we're seeing the actual payoffs now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I've always felt (but more and more increasingly so) that the Caps last year were feeling the double whammy of a long weary summer with little rest and lots of partying, and the education of a new rookie head coach. Kind of like last year with Davey Martinez on the Nationals.

Now getting healthy, feeling more refreshed and plus a full year under TR's belt, we're seeing the actual payoffs now.

Keep in mind that Reirden has said from the get go this season that the more aggressive system they are playing this year is how he wants to play. He said that last year the team was not up to that kind of energy burn. That all makes sense to me.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Regular season, I agree. I still feel that in the playoffs either of the two major injuries that happened last year, Kempny and Oshie, would be just as devastating this year. Those are both very good players but they shouldn't be irreplaceable.

Right now we are still one injury away from top-6 Hagelin or top-4 Siegenthaler. Hopefully, something that BMac addresses before the playoffs.

I am not so sure. We have yet to see the real Panik, and as he gets comfortable and more entwined with the team, he’s a very good top 9F that isn’t even playing. Hathaway and Leipsic have pushed Boyd and Stephenson out of a healthy line up, and they have responded by being much more involved in the flow and offense. Boyd especially. There are still quite a few guys in Hershey that could plug in effectively, if needed (Moulson may be a rare plug into top 6F in a pinch....as he’s got those chops). Regardless, the forwards aren’t quite where I’d like them depth wise, but they are better built to withstand injuries than last year. And that’s not even discussing Vrana and Wilson’s continued improvements.

Defense will have a LOT of youth really really percolating by the end of the season. Djoos, Fever, AlexA will all be better and maybe more capable. I’m not saying any of them can replace a Kempny, but they will be far more reliable than they are now. Siegs included. 65 games later.

the other side of this is I think GMBM would figure out to replace anyone IF something happened during the RS. His creativity and the use of LTIR means he wouldn’t stand pat. Assuming pre-TDL. That said, I’d still expect a vet D to get acquired sometime, as insurance.

Last edited:

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
We’ll have to see what injuries come our way, but everyone on our second line can be first line fill-ins. All third line guys can be second line fill-ins. Boyd is more suited to third line than fourth so he can play up as can Stevo in a pinch. And then several guys in Hershey can chew up 4th line minutes. The gotcha is 2-3 Top 9 injuries and/or 2 top 6 Dee injuries and/or long term season ending injuries So I don’t think you need to trade for depth unless there is a rash of injuries or long term injury to top 6. Deadline depth deals rarely work. I am most excited about Panik as we have seen nothing of what he could bring. He was touted as the steal of FA this year so hopefully there is something there.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Is Panik on the LTIR? Any cap space coming from that?
Only while he's out, apparently it doesn't "bank", so we can go over the cap as much as his salary while he's say on LTIR, but won't have any cap benefits once he's back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad