Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 1: Drop. The. Puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Agreed. I expect that Backstrom and Ov's situation is well known inside the company. Ov's comment about signing for 5 and Backstrom signing for 6 was said with a laugh but we know that is likely to be what happens. I agree that both players want to win. Playing out the end of your career on a crappy team because you are getting a bigger check just doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

These guys have had a winning team since Backstrom's rookie season. I think they expect that to continue and see themselves more as partners than employees.

Ive said it before. I expect Ovechkin to own a piece of the team upon retiring and wouldn't be shocked to find Backstrom has a piece too.
On top of that, Holts is replaceable. Backstory not to much.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I wouldn’t expect BMAC to tinker too much anytime soon. Team is playing well. Fehavery needs to season. Siegenthaler is playing very well. Samsonov needs to get some games, but clearly team is playing Holtby as a clear number one. And personally, I really like Boyd in the lineup. Oh, and BTW... Panik is going to be good once he gels with the team. Lots of depth right now. While i love a good trade, there is no need to do anything with roster unless a crazy offer is made or a message needs to be sent.

Reactions: max21

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I wouldn’t expect BMAC to tinker too much anytime soon. Team is playing well. Fehavery needs to season. Siegenthaler is playing very well. Samsonov needs to get some games, but clearly team is playing Holtby as a clear number one. And personally, I really like Boyd in the lineup. Oh, and BTW... Panik is going to be good once he gels with the team. Lots of depth right now. While i love a good trade, there is no need to do anything with roster unless a crazy offer is made or a message needs to be sent.

He basically just redid the entire bottom six, I don't expect anything to change with this team this season, barring injury of course.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
He basically just redid the entire bottom six, I don't expect anything to change with this team this season, barring injury of course.
I talking more about trades. They will mess with all kinds of line combos. Scratch different players. I myself was thinking about trading everyone from Stevenson to Djoos to Johansson. I just don’t think there will change in top via trade any time soon.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Kempny out for playoffs was massive.

This is a great start to a season. Fantastic.

Carlson is playing out of his mind, but so is Orlov and Kempny for me. Orlov a huge huge leap up from last year. He’s now a vet and anchoring big defensive minutes whilst showing offensive flair when he can.

we have such great versatility in the bottom 6. Hathaway is a beauty down there, as is Leipsic who honestly could have a lot more points and I think is a great injury cover should something happen in the top 6. Touch wood.

Really proud of Holtby for getting his groove going. Could have been a scary moment had he not. But let’s not think bout that.

Kuzy is playing attacking and harder hockey. I think he is going to have a very strong season and another chance to dominate playoffs.

Vrana is playing with the puck like Kuzy... that shot though. Not to dissimilar from Willys shot to be honest. He has an absolute laser that most hockey fans wouldn’t know about.

ease up on Siegs. He is 6 foot 3 and 22 years old playing his first proper season. What more do you people want? He is getting good PK minutes and doing his job fine.

team is looking good.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I just counted up the bottom six point total (Eller, Hathaway, Hagelin, Leipsic, Stephenson, Dowd, Boyd, Panik). 36 points so far, over two PPG!!

I have no idea how to figure it out but I would bet that is one of the top point totals in the league.

Last edited:

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Can we talk about how f***ing amazing Orlov has been? He has become a top-pairing, all situations defender.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Can we have him play in the playoffs if needed like ava did with makar last year?
Once the junior season is over he can come to Hershey or Washington. But not until season is done. He’ll need to have the full year in Juniors. Pretty encouraging to see those numbers!

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I think he’s been the same 40th-60th best defenseman since he got paired with Niskanen 3 years ago and Gudas has been a great partner for him this year
Love Gudas with Orlov. And think Jensen is better on third pair with less minutes. Our top 4 Dee is very strong. Third pair is solid but not spectacular. Team Dee has also been good. I feel good about our Dee both in Capsland and in chocholate town. Djoos is a bit lost in the shuffle but will be a valuable call up if needed.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think he’s been the same 40th-60th best defenseman since he got paired with Niskanen 3 years ago and Gudas has been a great partner for him this year

I think he’s improved some. Still missing that offensive dynamic we know is hiding in there.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I just counted up the bottom six point total (Eller, Hathaway, Hagelin, Leipsic, Stephenson, Dowd, Boyd, Panik). 36 points so far, over two PPG!!

I have no idea how to figure it out but I would bet that is one of the top point totals in the league.
Did you take into account that some of those players have played games in the top 6. The main guy being Eller who played a handful of games as the second line center. Eller got off to a hot start playing in place of Kuzy. Should those points count as coming from the bottom 6?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Just remember that it is junior. Being a top scorer in junior doesn't always translate to being an NHL star. I could give you dozens of examples.

You’d rather some other teams prospects be the top scorers for these leagues?

I don’t think anyone is saying “oh My GOD.....since Protas and McMichael are leading their leagues in scoring, that absolutely guarantees those 2 will be sure fire NHL ALL STARS!!!!”

rather it’s cool to see they are doing so well in where they are. And it also should mean they are close to being ready to move on to the next level (AHL) after the seasons are over.

or they could be Pens/Canes/Isles etc prospects and their respective fan bases could be excited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad