Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 1: Drop. The. Puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Could the fact that copley still here mean they may be trying to trade him? Otherwise why not send samsanov down

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Could the fact that copley still here mean they may be trying to trade him? Otherwise why not send samsanov down

If they wanted to trade him, then they'd have to send him down first. At this point, with lots of capable goalies on waivers, no team is gonna give up anything for a backup. Some teams might want some organizational depth though. A waived Copley could be interesting for teams like for example Chicago.

Jun 15, 2007
Do we know what weight Djoos showed up at camp at?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Um said...If a rookie is not good enough than why is he in the NHL in the first place? I don't buy that every rookie is automatically awful. And Caps have had plently of rookies who got comfortable in the NHL real quick.

What is your definition of good enough? Is MF as good as Kempny would be? No. Can he be as good or better with experience? Sure. Young players improve with experience. This why you ease them in rather than throw them in the deep end.

Rookie Tom Wilson was not ready to be a primary penalty killer right away and you wouldn't use him on defense at crunch time. Now you would. Coaching and experience take time to make a player better.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Looking at the waiver wire today, I'm really impressed by the return BMac managed to get for Burakovsky. I say that as one of the few fans who actually wanted to keep Burakovky on this team.

Djoos, Forsling, Ho-Sang, Baertschi, Goldobin, DeSmith, etc. There seems to an unusual amount of talent available free of charge.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

What is your definition of good enough? Is MF as good as Kempny would be? No. Can he be as good or better with experience? Sure. Young players improve with experience. This why you ease them in rather than throw them in the deep end.

Rookie Tom Wilson was not ready to be a primary penalty killer right away and you wouldn't use him on defense at crunch time. Now you would. Coaching and experience take time to make a player better.

of course I'd prefer Kempny to Fehervary but with him injured our LD depth is pretty weak right now. I'd want the best man for the job, it seems like the two best choices are Siegenthaler or Fehervary.

You're not really proposing any solution besides getting a very cheap vet who would probably be worse than Fehervary anyways

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Looking at the waiver wire today, I'm really impressed by the return BMac managed to get for Burakovsky. I say that as one of the few fans who actually wanted to keep Burakovky on this team.

Djoos, Forsling, Ho-Sang, Baertschi, Goldobin, DeSmith, etc. There seems to an unusual amount of talent available free of charge.

Yeah. Very strong group including many solid NHLers. Others are down in the AHL already. League is ready for expansion I guess. Sucks to see so many good players lose their spots.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

And not a single one of them, well maybe DeSmith, will get claimed.

The pens are prob boiling that they don’t have space to claim Ho sang

If they wanted a guy who only has one attribute and can't play defense to save his NHL career they could just claim Sprong. ;)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
of course I'd prefer Kempny to Fehervary but with him injured our LD depth is pretty weak right now. I'd want the best man for the job, it seems like the two best choices are Siegenthaler or Fehervary.

You're not really proposing any solution besides getting a very cheap vet who would probably be worse than Fehervary anyways

Actually, I wasn't proposing any solution. I was explaining why I thought they would use MF with Carlson if that is what they decide to do. Its the speed. If Carlson is going to play his game, his partner has to cover for him. If MF is out of position he has a better chance of making it up than Seigenthaler because of the speed difference.

Reactions: tenken00

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Actually, I wasn't proposing any solution. I was explaining why I thought they would use MF with Carlson if that is what they decide to do. Its the speed. If Carlson is going to play his game, his partner has to cover for him. If MF is out of position he has a better chance of making it up than Seigenthaler because of the speed difference.

Oh I understand now... my bad.

Either way I think the rookie factor is overblown and it shouldn't deter you from playing the better player.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Can Lewington play LD? If not, with 3 RD on the roster already, I’m not really sure what the benefit of having him as a #7 would be, given it’s Siegenthaler coming out to get the 7th D games if there’s a healthy lineup?

With the goaltender situation, if Kuzy’s cap doesn’t count for three games and Kempny’s on IR for two, why not use it as an opportunity to get MF and IS an NHL game or two each? The salary cap wouldn’t be an issue and you’d have the extra two roster spaces without sacrificing Stephenson or Boyd.

Assuming Djoos is claimed, it’s hard to see how they’d get Samsanov games this year without risking losing Copley or Stephenson/Boyd on waivers once Kempny and Kuzy are back. They wouldn’t have the roster space, with 14 forwards and 7 D. If they were going to risk Copley on waivers without IS first seeing significant NHL action, you’d have thought they’d have done it today when he was more likely to sneak through (who’s claiming Copley over DeSmith and Comrie, and a couple of solid forwards and Ds?). That they haven’t, and that it’s Samsanov on the roster when I don’t get the impression he outplayed Vanecek during training camp or in the AHL last year, makes me think they’re not prepared to lose Copley just yet and see this as a brief window to get him a game or two, perhaps?

Of course, if Djoos clears and they really don’t want to lose Stephenson, Copley and Samsanov could both find themselves in the AHL pretty quickly...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Oh I understand now... my bad.

Either way I think the rookie factor is overblown and it shouldn't deter you from playing the better player.

Definition of better player? See? The more talented player is not always the better player. The better player is not always the better fit for a given situation.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Requisite... Djoos is on the loose.

I'm serious this time.
gYX7JwW.jpg

Reactions: twabby

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
This is the current situation:

What to do, what to do. Have to trim by 2 or 3 by tomorrow. But lots of guys had a decent preseasons.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I wouldn't be shocked if they trade or bring back Djoos if he doesn't get claimed. I don't know how much Djoos/Copley/Stephenson demotions would help capwise but I think ideally the Caps need to lose somebody.

Assuming Djoos doesn't get claimed (I don't think he will) I think they will either trade him (if they can) or bring him back and waive others. They don't need Djoos in Hershey.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Stephenson and Copley gone. If Fehrevary isn't gonna play send him down, if he is send Lewington down. Done and done.

All of this is of course after game three when Kuzy is back.

Reactions: Silky mitts
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->