Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The gap between Bowey & Hobbs narrows by the day. They should probably consider swapping Bowey for more of a quality 4C if possible and keeping Lewington as the extra. If they end up needing more than a stopgap appearance from Lewington then they can dip into the Hershey reserve.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The gap between Bowey & Hobbs narrows by the day. They should probably consider swapping Bowey for more of a quality 4C if possible and keeping Lewington as the extra. If they end up needing more than a stopgap appearance from Lewington then they can dip into the Hershey reserve.
I think a lot of that gap is closing in the wrong direction. It's not just Hobbs increased play, but also Bowey simply not progressing. I'm not sure what they could get in exchange for Bowey at this point, other than a similarly stalled out forward prospect (of which the Capitals already have plenty). Perhaps they could get a draft pick and then flip that pick for something, but that's a rather hard series of trades to execute at this stage of the off-season.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
So if Ovy has a tough stretch you want him benched? Got it.

Tough crowd.

Of course I would. Would never happen to Ovechkin though, not yet anyway.

Trotz sat Ovie for being late to practice two seasons ago, I loved it. Used it as a valuable lesson to my own hockey player about "nobody being more important than the team".

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
In the media I'm fine with coaches not being completely blunt all the time for the sake of the players. But in the locker room, I think its very important for them to be honest and blunt with where players stand.

do you think a coach should dress a player down in private or in front of his teammates? I have no reason to believe that Trotz soft sold his issues with a player's play. I am not sure he was the type to slam a player in front of others or in the media.

Watching Reirden he worked to avoid saying that DSP was out of shape. He didn't mention his conditioning. He said he was not where he needed to be and left it at that. Bowey he pretty matter of factly lit him up. Maybe he is hard to motivate. Maybe that is why he is not playing

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Right shot D tend to get their chances, particularly when they can skate and have decent size. The sense has always been a bit suspect with Bowey but a protected third pair role elsewhere where he can play more to his strengths and maybe get a fresh start could be the for the best for all parties. He needs to play if he's going to improve and at this point he's likely significantly behind Djoos in his composure, sense and reliability. They haven't exactly built up his value but if they could get a third/fourth rounder or maybe a waiver-exempt forward with some pace/skill/upside it might still be worthwhile. He's probably going to be the first guy caught up in the pending D numbers game, barring some kind of extended opportunity where he's able to turn the corner. Even then with what's on the way I'd probably sell high. Over the next week or so seems like the best time of year to make such depth swaps, although I don't know who all may have an injury or a depth need.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Trotz sat Ovie for being late to practice two seasons ago, I loved it. Used it as a valuable lesson to my own hockey player about "nobody being more important than the team".

I will mark this down when Burakovsky hits his annual slump and goes 15 games without a goal and gets scratched for two weeks.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I will mark this down when Burakovsky hits his annual slump and goes 15 games without a goal and gets scratched for two weeks.

giphy.gif

Reactions: txpd

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

You must have missed a few years, because he’s had some bad stretches plenty of times. Just sayin...

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
First he gets spun around by Voracek, then they bring in Kempny and now this? Not to mention its looking like Hobbs jumped ahead of him.

He should do something drastic next game to fix this...like score a goal! :scared:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Reirden did not "light up" Bowey. He issued him a challenge. Bowey already knows he's on the outside looking in to start out.

I guess I consider challenging someone in the media is lighting them up. A pure challenge is a meeting in the coaches office. Doing it on television to the hockey media so that it hits the blogs and the twitters and the newspapers is lighting him up, IMO

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Right shot D tend to get their chances, particularly when they can skate and have decent size. The sense has always been a bit suspect with Bowey but a protected third pair role elsewhere where he can play more to his strengths and maybe get a fresh start could be the for the best for all parties. He needs to play if he's going to improve and at this point he's likely significantly behind Djoos in his composure, sense and reliability. They haven't exactly built up his value but if they could get a third/fourth rounder or maybe a waiver-exempt forward with some pace/skill/upside it might still be worthwhile. He's probably going to be the first guy caught up in the pending D numbers game, barring some kind of extended opportunity where he's able to turn the corner. Even then with what's on the way I'd probably sell high. Over the next week or so seems like the best time of year to make such depth swaps, although I don't know who all may have an injury or a depth need.
Edmonton? And ironically Jerabek could be blocking him there.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Edmonton? And ironically Jerabek could be blocking him there.
Bouchard could factor in there I guess. Ottawa could have some spots. Maybe Detroit with Green out. I'm not sure he'd have strong value as far as draft pick return goes but perhaps a player swap could fit to their liking.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Wouldn't some dumb GM look at Mad Bow and wonder if he was just stuck as a 7 on a cup winning team?

I for one used to like the idea of looting cup winning organizations prospects that just couldn't bust into the lineup. It's called Kempnization.

He has some offensive upside IMO. Or at least I used to think he did. I cannot be the only GM that may be intrigued at a possible change of scenery bump up in his play.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
First he gets spun around by Voracek, then they bring in Kempny and now this? Not to mention its looking like Hobbs jumped ahead of him.

He should do something drastic next game to fix this...like score a goal! :scared:
He doesnt need to score a goal. He needs to make better decisions. Scoring a goal isn't going to help his cause if he continues to turn over the puck. I'm not sure if Hobbs has passed Bowey or the depth chart or not. If that is the case Bowey might be done.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
As long as it is consistent with Reirden I am on board. If a player has rough time over say 10-15 games than I hope he gets benched and not kept in the lineup just because he is a "leader".
I'm OK with scratching players. But I dont like that he is being vocal to the media about his players. That should be kept between him and the player.
So far I'm not liking Reirdon as our head coach. Its early. Maybe I will warm up to him.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

When Trotz sat Ovie it was the right thing to do. Ovie didnt even complain about it that I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad