Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I guess that depends on whether you think he needed rest to find his game or playing time to find his game. It was clear to me that he was trying to work thru a concussion.

Thanks for your expert medical report, txMD. Always appreciated.

If he was playing with a concussion, he ABSOLUTELY needed to be out of the lineup. Concussions aren't an injury you're supposed to "play through."

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I guess that depends on whether you think he needed rest to find his game or playing time to find his game. It was clear to me that he was trying to work thru a concussion.

Indeed. There is a large difference between sitting someone for poor, uninspired (read lack of effort) play, versus being snake bit or being physically below your normal levels.

I don’t think any teammate is going to mind a player for being “benched” (which is far different from being “rested” due to body issues) due to poor and indifferent play....in fact, it’s probably applauded in some form.

However benching someone who is snake bit, or is playing thru injury is simply bad form. I think pretty much All players will play unless told not too (physically), so that’s on the medical/coaching staff. Timing and the coordination that comes with it is a huge thing in sports. And you generally need to play to get it right. Not always, but most of the time.

Had we benched Oshie, who knows if he’d have gotten it back for the end of the playoffs like he did. He was most noticeable in the later rounds. That’s not coincidental.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

If he was playing with a concussion, he ABSOLUTELY needed to be out of the lineup. Concussions aren't an injury you're supposed to "play through."

He said “work thru”, not “play thru”. Clearly he means the timing he lost from the injury, and all that comes from the aftermath of an injury to the head.

Please take your “I’m always right” agenda somewhere else man. It’s so tiresome.

Reactions: g00n and txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Patronize me if you like. I didn't say he still had the concussion or the symptoms. If he had he would not have been cleared to play. I know the visable stuff. He was on his game. He hit Thornton in the butt and was concussed. His production was not right after his return. His game came together late in the season and he had a great playoffs. I would say that he was working thru his the injury.

Now....if you think he needed another 30 or 60 days on LTIR to get his game back faster or whether it was playing that he needed, its impossible to know. I am comfortable that the team was doing what was prescribed for him

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

There’s a vast gap from “playing with a concussion” to “not quite right after a significant injury”.

Oshie was cleared medically, but suffered in his play like many players who miss significant time from head trauma.

I’m trying to understand why some extremely small segment of fans don’t seem to get it and have seemingly little patience for a guy who at least tries to give it his all every shift. Did he refuse you an autograph or ask you and your mom to be moved away from him at a restaurant? Lol....;)

What angle were you selling that made sense with a heart and soul type player who just signed a deal to keep him for a long time, where benching him turned into a positive?

Was he not trying hard enough for you? Always loafing on the ice? Huge Nathan Walker fan and you really wanted to get him some ice time? It’s not like some young star player couldn’t crack the lineup because of Trotz favoritism....so what long term benefit was there to benching him in your eyes?

Last edited:
Reactions: HeyMattyB and g00n

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Thankfully Trotz didn’t do something dumb and bench him. He starting coming into form with around 10+ games left....and it carried over nicely into the postseason. If they hadn’t let him work it out, you never know, maybe he doesn’t play as well in the playoffs and we don’t win a Cup....

Reactions: third man in

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Any of you think DSP has put himself in a position to be moved out by BMac? Whatever happened with DSP and the Devils, is apparently happening again with the Caps! Their seems to be some sort of team commitment issue or that he's not in shape?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Any of you think DSP has put himself in a position to be moved out by BMac? Whatever happened with DSP and the Devils, is apparently happening again with the Caps! Their seems to be some sort of team commitment issue or that he's not in shape?

I think they'll be patient with him, like they were last year. Apparently this guy is simply allergic to working out in the summer. But he rounded into form when it mattered and I think they give him some rope. Not like he's taking up a lot of cap space.

Unless he goes all Conn Smythe again this year, I doubt they let this happen again next year.

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
You gotta give DSP some time to get back to gameshape after the postseason. In the meantime, Gersich gets some playing time, and you can send him to HSY when needed.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

I have heard rumors that DSP and the Devils didn't work out because they wanted him to play and he insisted he was injured. It all went south after that.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Hmm, so once DSP (de)rounds back into shape, what are the chances for both Stephenson and Gersich to make it into the lineup? Let's say they both play pretty well -- how likely are they to make the Caps reconsider putting Stephenson at center or replace DSP on the RW?

I suppose the easy thing to do is just send Gersich down and then wait for injuries/etc. He doesn't seem to make sense as a 13/14 guy.

Shumakov is still a wild card, I guess... but the lack of speed looked like a major problem - one can only hope it's jetlag/tentativeness/etc.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
DSP and Bowey will probably get slots in the roster just due to waiver status.

Siege, LuJo, Gersich - they all can wait in the A. And Stephenson unsitting 3M Bura isnt happening either I guess.

Boyd, Dowd, DSP, Stepenson, Walker - they can take slots 10th..14th simultaneously, right?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Shumakov and Samsonov both starting in Hershey seems logical too. Did Reirden say a thing about Shumakov at all?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Kind of sucks that Shumakov will likely start in the AHL, but I guess 1st/2nd line minutes + Power play time in the AHL will be better for learning the North American game than 4th line minutes in the NHL.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I know we are getting into "Dress Rehearsal" time in the pre-season, but I really hope Shumakov gets another game. He got over here late and really hasn't had a full shot IMO. Of course Hershey may have been the overall plan from the beginning.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Oh yeah, let's imagine how that conversation would've gone...

2q1XCN5.gif

Trotz: "How you doin, Osh?"

Oshie: "Gettin there, coach."

Trotz: "Everything feeling Ok?"

Oshie: "Yeah I'm OK, fully cleared, just need to get back up to speed... knock off some of the rust and cobwebs."

*nervous laughter*

Trotz: "Right, see that's the thing, the coaches and I know you're cleared and you're doing your best under the circumstances, but we think it's best if you sit for a while, give it a little more time and see where we are, maybe take it day by day."

Oshie: "Uh, I guess, I really feel fine and doc says I'm good, I'd like to stay out there and get my legs and timing back. I'm not hurt and I'm working hard to get back. I just need ice time."

Trotz: "I understand and nobody faults you for being hurt. You still have your spot in the lineup, just take a break and come back 100%."

Oshie: "......"

Oh yeah that would be great coaching. Everyone would love that.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Late on this but quite disappointed regarding the DSP situation. Likely has little impact on the season but a career journeyman who may have finally found a home (on a Cup winner no less) not being able to do the one thing required of him over the summer (staying in shape) is a major red flag and likely explains why he has bounced around the league. Hopefully one of the young kids steps up and gets an opportunity to replace DSP long term.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I think Siegenthaler makes it to start the year. No clue what the advantage of having him sit would be but the potential Kempny injury also factors in. Keeping Sieg in Washington also plays into the plan that Geisser stays in NA in Hershey or SC.

Will be interesting to see who makes it as the 4C and 13th forward. Lots of guys playing for one or two spots

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Late on this but quite disappointed regarding the DSP situation. Likely has little impact on the season but a career journeyman who may have finally found a home (on a Cup winner no less) not being able to do the one thing required of him over the summer (staying in shape) is a major red flag and likely explains why he has bounced around the league. Hopefully one of the young kids steps up and gets an opportunity to replace DSP long term.

Remember what happened with Fehr? How he kept getting scratched and getting coupons for the dog house? Very likely it was this DSP kind of stuff. I don't think it was to this level but we can only see so much from the outside.

We certainly cant see the difference between the guys that eat right all the time, work out right all the time, dedicate themselves as expected or more all the time and the guys that don't. We cant tell the different degrees of the guys that don't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad