Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I still think Bowey gets traded sometime soon. As many have stated, it looks like Reirden sees others as bringing the same (or very similar) qualities, but that are waiver eligible. Siegs and Hobbs make sense as top 6 alternatives when injuries, and Lewington can be the 7 for the big club. Or some vet.

Try and deal MadBow for a similar type forward (center) or a pick (2nd would be grand).

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
It seems interesting that Kammerer is still in camp. He hasn't killed penalties thus far, to my knowledge, so doesn't really appear as a bottom six PK option. I haven't really noticed enough of him to really form much of an opinion offensively, though it seems unlikely he'd be able to step in offensively and make much noise either.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
What kind of offensive upside does Djoos have for this season?
75 gp, 6 g 14 a, similar pace as last regular season with more games.

I don't see how Dowd is such a lock to make the team, if they waive him out of camp there's a better chance he gets claimed. Hope Barber makes it.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Has Shumakov stated anywhere he's willing to play in Hershey? With Samsonov there might be a nice transition to have two Russians in the line up and such.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Rolled pretty much last season with 3 to 4 rookies (Vrana, Stephenson, Djoos and Bowey). Right now it looks like Boyd is the only rookie that may be assured a spot to begin the season.

Come 2019/20 there should be a number of spots opening, i.e. DSP, Dowd, Connolly and Orpik all UFAs along with Copley. So for the likes of Gersich, Shumakov, AJF, Siegenthaler and Hobbs and more it's not so much if but rather when.

Hershey will definitely be on my itinerary this coming season. Do the seats in Hershey have cup holders?:sarcasm:

Reactions: Corby78

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Sad to see Pilon go down. I wanted to see him get one more pre-season game in the 4C race. Right now it's a pretty lackluster contest between Dowd and Boyd, given that they seem deadset on Stephenson playing wing.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

I was scared of this. I hope the league goes after Bortuzzo. He was running around like a mad man with multiple dangerous/illegal hits in a preseason game no less. He and Maroon were the reason that game got ugly for no reason. Wilson got suspended last year, and he would surely be suspended for 2 or 3 of bortuzzo's hits in that game.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Sad to see Pilon go down. I wanted to see him get one more pre-season game in the 4C race. Right now it's a pretty lackluster contest between Dowd and Boyd, given that they seem deadset on Stephenson playing wing.
I'd rather see Stephenson at center. Doesnt look like it will happen.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
So Orpik-Carlson and Siege-Djoos?

Siege doesn't look big but he has big frame and good foot speed. He should be able to take PK shifts. A natural Orpik's successor. Can he play RD if needed?

Liked what I've seen from Siege yesterday. Bowey - not so much. But I doubt they will waive him.

If Kempny can't go - Siege will play instead of him, then go down to Hershey, that's my bet.

Overall they have potential players in LuJo, Siege, Alexeev... All LD. One of them could develop RD skills to make himself a slot in the lineup :P

Should be last year for Orpik here unless he wants to stay at press box all the time. With his age I think he can retire and be cool about it.

PS: A little taste of NHL now, full season in AHL plus getting stronger could make Siege ready next Fall.

Reactions: RandyHolt

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
So Orpik-Carlson and Siege-Djoos?

Siege doesn't look big but he has big frame and good foot speed. He should be able to take PK shifts. A natural Orpik's successor. Can he play RD if needed?

Liked what I've seen from Siege yesterday. Bowey - not so much. But I doubt they will waive him.

If Kempny can't go - Siege will play instead of him, then go down to Hershey, that's my bet.

Overall they have potential players in LuJo, Siege, Alexeev... All LD. One of them could develop RD skills to make himself a slot in the lineup :P

Should be last year for Orpik here unless he wants to stay at press box all the time. With his age I think he can retire and be cool about it.

PS: A little taste of NHL now, full season in AHL plus getting stronger could make Siege ready next Fall.
Why didnt you include Hobbs in that conversation? Instead you think one of the LD should be converted to the right side. Do you not think Hobbs has any potential?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Why didnt you include Hobbs in that conversation? Instead you think one of the LD should be converted to the right side. Do you not think Hobbs has any potential?

I think all of those LDs have potential to play above #3LD. That's value right there. They should be given a chance to succeed. Hobbs is unlikely to replace Nisky/Carlson in my mind (but what do I know) so his potential is closer to #3RD for Caps.

Also Hobbs is blocked by Bowey (who isn't waiver exempt). And Bowey is blocked by LDs (currently by Djoos). There is a big stack to move out until Hobbs gets into lineup (that's my estimation).

If Hobbs had no defensive warts he could be higher in the chart but I've read he isn't stellar defensively.

So getting Hobbs his chance is low priority that's why I omitted it. Honestly, even if he gets into the lineup it doesn't change much in the LD dynamics so he will just replace Bowey. I won't argue with it, but there is not much to discuss. It's more about discussing Bowey than Hobbs :P

Bowey's problems are here already.

If Hobbs will become good enough to be a PP player for Caps I'm sure we will talk about it here.

PS: I'm still impressed by Djoos. He managed to stay alive and win the Cup as skinny LD at RD with old man Orpik as his partner. That guy doesn't want to lose his slot (and GMBM will use him as #3RD I guess).

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I know advanced stats are... FROWNED UPON but I am curious how many more losses a team is likely to face by using 4 LH centers, that are of higher skill than 3 and 1 RH faceoff only guy.

Or, goals. whatever. i know defensive guys should be net positive but you have to use them situationally. And apparently driving possession is a thing of the past but being able to hang in the offensive zone is rarely a bad thing.

Yes, I know. The world needs ditch diggers too.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If Kempny is out? Prob 44-74. But I’d rather move 22–29-Siegs up w 74 and leave 44 in his 3rd pair duties. Not extend him yet. Let a kid cut teeth w 74

If Kempny is out look for what the Caps did last season. Carlson and Djoos with Orpik and the fill in young guy. Orpik doing primary pk and moving up to Carlson late in games with a lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad