Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I hadn't seen the Vegas pre-game show until just now as I am FINALLY watching the full NBC broadcast of game five (have only seen SN/CBC version). Good god what a crime against humanity that thing was. Did anyone enjoy that because that wasn't just cringe-worthy it was just downright amatuer hour stuff. If that is the future of live hockey I think I'll just stay home.

I did enjoy the yelling of "red" and "O" during the anthem, it was damn loud. Fairweather fans selling their tickets in season one bodes well for the future. ;)

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I hadn't seen the Vegas pre-game show until just now as I am FINALLY watching the full NBC broadcast of game five (have only seen SN/CBC version). Good god what a crime against humanity that thing was. Did anyone enjoy that because that wasn't just cringe-worthy it was just downright amatuer hour stuff. If that is the future of live hockey I think I'll just stay home.

I did enjoy the yelling of "red" and "O" during the anthem, it was damn loud. Fairweather fans selling their tickets in season one bodes well for the future. ;)
I thought it was ok, then I saw Pat Sajak with his index cards after I'd been pregaming for 3 hours and I was like I wish he had armor and a broadsword or at least a snare drum.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I thought it was ok, then I saw Pat Sajak with his index cards after I'd been pregaming for 3 hours and I was like I wish he had armor and a broadsword or at least a snare drum.

It's crazy cause I was at Pens game 5 and Bolts game 3 and the Caps production team were just so on it with the pre-game stuff. The light show on the ice is awesome, the music was good, it was real "pump you up stuff". No idea who thought Sajak was a good idea, Final or not.

Oh well, we won the Cup!!!!!

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Holy ****, it’s around 20 per game prior to the Kempny trade! 20:33 before the break! Championship team giving a guy outscored at ES -0.5/60 (worst on team) 16:13 ES/game, 4th on the team!

Why is this so surprising to people? Did you not actually watch the first half + of the season? Orpik was asked to do way too much for 50ish games to start the season. Just look at his game by game ice time for that period. He suffered, so what? A player of his ilk at this point in his career shouldn’t be playing 2nd pair minutes and 20+ per game. He was a decent amount over 20 per game during that time. Is it his fault the Caps didn’t have someone more capable to play those minutes?

Once slotted in appropriately he was more than fine and they won the cup with him in that role. I have no concerns about his ability to play a 3rd pairing role.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Why is this so surprising to people? Did you not actually watch the first half + of the season? Orpik was asked to do way too much for 50ish games to start the season. Just look at his game by game ice time for that period. He suffered, so what? A player of his ilk at this point in his career shouldn’t be playing 2nd pair minutes and 20+ per game. He was a decent amount over 20 per game during that time. Is it his fault the Caps didn’t have someone more capable to play those minutes?

Once slotted in appropriately he was more than fine and they won the cup with him in that role. I have no concerns about his ability to play a 3rd pairing role.
I just could not believe Trotz was putting him out there 20+ a game all the way up to the deadline

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Speaks volumes about who was behind him....
Trotz was also coaching for his job and the next guy in line gets all the credit for the development of their defensemen, so he had little investment in the development of Djoos and Bowey at the cost of their learning on the job.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Trotz was also coaching for his job and the next guy in line gets all the credit for the development of their defensemen, so he had little investment in the development of Djoos and Bowey at the cost of their learning on the job.

You’re assuming it was Trotz that played Orpik 20m a night. Reirden may have had a lot to do with the D pairings and usage.

NoLookPass

Jan 16, 2014
After the Caps won I took 3 days to soak it all in, then I stepped away from hockey. What a draining few months that was. And even the years before were the most stress a sport can put on a fan! I honestly am more excited for this year than any other. I feel no pressure as fan FINALLY. I can just enjoy the ride for a while, and that's exciting.

Looking forward, I worry about the long term plan for the Caps. I see us being in the same situation as Chicago in the future. A lot of money tied up in not a lot of guys long term. But it doesn't bother me now, just enjoying the ride. :cool:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Speaks volumes about who was behind him....

Exactly. Who were the alternatives? Djoos wasn’t any more ready to play those minutes and the other option was Chorney. Bowey struggled enough with 3rd pairing minutes plus as a right shot wasn’t really a thought to play with Carlson anyway.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I think everyone's minutes were way up due to our unheralded minute eater Niskanen missing an extended period of time early in the season. That's when Carlson's name really started entering Norris conversation because of the offensive production and the excessively high minutes. I think if you look at everyone in the first half of the season on the blueline and you're going to think their minutes were high. It skewed their numbers for the rest of the year.

Reactions: RandyHolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad