Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
When to scratch and not scratch a struggling player is a tough call to make - everyone is different, and decisions should change based on the temperature of the locker room.

Dropping a struggling vet rather than keeping them in can go one of two ways; they take the game off to have a mental reset or they feel even worse and the slump continues.

There's no cookie cutter answer to this question

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
When to scratch and not scratch a struggling player is a tough call to make - everyone is different, and decisions should change based on the temperature of the locker room.

Dropping a struggling vet rather than keeping them in can go one of two ways; they take the game off to have a mental reset or they feel even worse and the slump continues.

There's no cookie cutter answer to this question
There's usually more to a player being scratched than just a slump. Effort and decision making are also factors.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Bouchard could factor in there I guess. Ottawa could have some spots. Maybe Detroit with Green out. I'm not sure he'd have strong value as far as draft pick return goes but perhaps a player swap could fit to their liking.
The Weber IR situation in Montreal is another possibility. Bergevin is always up for doing something crazy and the Caps do have a trade history with him.

I'll confess I've never seen Hobbs play. How's his skating compared to Bowey? As someone else has noted Bowey's scoring is not the concern, rather his decision making with the puck and his quick read of the game and subsequent distribution. He seemed to turn over the puck a bit last season.

As far as Reirden's comments, I have no problem with them. I think Trotz was more a head guy when it came to player management, that is trying to mentally or emotionally motivate players. He was a good talker as shown in his post game comments and quips such as "If you want to get somewhere fast go alone, if you want to get somewhere far go together". Reirden may not be cut from that cloth and be more straight forward and direct with players.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Just watched Reirden's presser from yesterday. Its interesting to see the lenths he is going NOT to say that DSP is out of shape

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I'll confess I've never seen Hobbs play. How's his skating compared to Bowey? As someone else has noted Bowey's scoring is not the concern, rather his decision making with the puck and his quick read of the game and subsequent distribution. He seemed to turn over the puck a bit last season.

I agree with this about Bowey. He has the tools. The biggest challenge when moving up levels is the speed at which decisions need to be made. He hesitated a bit too much last year, as a lot of young guys do. He may never get to that level or he may be there this year or it could take him a bit longer.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Bouchard could factor in there I guess. Ottawa could have some spots. Maybe Detroit with Green out. I'm not sure he'd have strong value as far as draft pick return goes but perhaps a player swap could fit to their liking.

Ottawa could potentially have interest consider how young their blueline is and how cheap Bowey is. I assume Chabot will be taking over a lot of Karlsson's duties, at least when it comes to PP1 and offensive zone starts. But how much better is Bowey than Andreas Englund or Christian Jaros? Granted, Englund definitely plays a very different style than Bowey.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
No. You were talking about Orpik and only Orpik. I understand that

It's too easy to just say Orpik only, he is bad, he will have a ton of bad games.

Niskanen, Backstrom, Carlson, Ovie, Oshie for me that is the leadership group along with Orpik.

I thought Beagle, a team leader, had a ton of horrible stretches last season and he never got sat, so lesson here is learn how to win faceoffs boys. ;)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The real lesson is to leave the pro coaching moves to the pros.

It’s a long season....they all have up and downs. Ride it out and don’t make knee jerk roster decisions. As fans we only have a portion of the equation that goes into the decision to bench a Vet....what we see in a game.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's too easy to just say Orpik only, he is bad, he will have a ton of bad games.

Niskanen, Backstrom, Carlson, Ovie, Oshie for me that is the leadership group along with Orpik.

I thought Beagle, a team leader, had a ton of horrible stretches last season and he never got sat, so lesson here is learn how to win faceoffs boys. ;)

So, realistically how many games total do you think Niskanen, Backstrom, Carlson, Ovechkin, and Oshie combined will be a healthy scratch?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
So, realistically how many games total do you think Niskanen, Backstrom, Carlson, Ovechkin, and Oshie combined will be a healthy scratch?

Zero, because they won't suck for long stretches of time. And even if a player like Oshie isn't putting up points he is doing everything else possible.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Michael McCarron is a former 1st rounder with Montreal that seems like he could use a change of scenery. 6 foot 6 center prospect and is a right shot. Possibility for a Bowey swap

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The thing with Oshie is he does so much even when he is not scoring that one would be hard for me.
During the period I was referencing last year, he wasn't doing that stuff. He was a defensive sieve and turnover machine during that time. He was generally slow to react all over the ice.

dillyboy93

Dec 3, 2012
Canada
Michael McCarron is a former 1st rounder with Montreal that seems like he could use a change of scenery. 6 foot 6 center prospect and is a right shot. Possibility for a Bowey swap
I'd think about doing it, I'm torn on if he'll become anything though. But even then if you move Bowey who becomes 7? Johansen, Seiginthaler, Hobbs etc are better off playing in Hershey and I would hate Ness to be around hahah

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'd think about doing it, I'm torn on if he'll become anything though. But even then if you move Bowey who becomes 7? Johansen, Seiginthaler, Hobbs etc are better off playing in Hershey and I would hate Ness to be around hahah

Based on today's presser Reirden seems to like Seiginthaler's camp. Based on comments he is looking at Bowey and Seigenthaler going to head to head for a roster spot starting tonight.

Also noticed again Reirden's use of the terms details and habits.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ottawa could potentially have interest consider how young their blueline is and how cheap Bowey is. I assume Chabot will be taking over a lot of Karlsson's duties, at least when it comes to PP1 and offensive zone starts. But how much better is Bowey than Andreas Englund or Christian Jaros? Granted, Englund definitely plays a very different style than Bowey.

Thinking on this further, I wouldn't be entirely opposed to a D-for-D swap involving Bowey for a similar quality prospect in a numbers crunch elsewhere. Swap Bowey for a D prospect that has a little more PK and stay-at-home potential, who could slot in as a 7D in the short-term and get a season to audition as the Orpik replacement. Double bonus if they're a RHD, so Djoos can play on his natural side.

Someone like Jaros or Englund could be intriguing as options from Ottawa (preferably Jaros).

I have low confidence in Siegenthaler being a quality NHL option, especially after how disastrous he's looked in the pre-season.

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
During the period I was referencing last year, he wasn't doing that stuff. He was a defensive sieve and turnover machine during that time. He was generally slow to react all over the ice.
Ya Oshie did have a stretch when he struggled at pretty much everything. I remember him fumbling a lot of pucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad