Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The Caps think no coach is worth more than $4M a year and fired Boudreau after Ovy called him a fat F while the Habs traded PK Subban after Therrien ripped him.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
So they were giving him a "one word" type rapid fire interview. They asked him "your on an island, who do you want with you?" He answered Orpik. When asked why, he went into more detail on how Orpik is the guy who will take care of you. He will make good decisions, and make sure you don't do something stupid, he is smart and cares about the team. And that was coming from Nicky who is a elder himself.

I don't mind him hanging around helping the new kids at all.

So basically Orpik is the leader of men than Troy Brouwer and/or Brooks Laich were supposed to have been.

The idea that a players contributions are more than the sum of what he does on the ice isn't lost on me. I would also venture to guess that maybe, just maybe, Orpik has had something to do with Ovi maturing over the past few years. If Ovi wants to break some scoring records, he'll have to take great care of himself off the ice to stick around that long. Doesn't seem anyone better suited to mentor that sort of lifestyle than Orpik.

Easily worth the $1M for another year of a coach in the room and off the ice.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
A lot of people in this thread conveniently bypassing the fact that Orpik had to be packaged with Grubauer to trade and was subsequently bought out.

We don’t bypass that.....any more than other people in his thread conveniently bypass the fact that Orpik was integral in this team winning its first ever Stanley Cup.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

No big shockers but surprised they didn't give Alexeyev a longer taste of bit camp.

Meh, you're not going to play him in another game because there is just too much actual NHL/AHL talent to assess/warm up and he's not going to make the NHL roster, so what would be the point? A few extra days of practice where there are literally 20 other d-men competing for attention? Whereas here he can go back to his WHL team and be the focal point of their development.

I think the team saw what they wanted. They had him for rookie camp, they had him for the rookie tourney, they had him for a week or so of training camp. They know who he is and where he is in development. Same goes for Sutter, great game last night, keep developing in the WHL and we'll kick the tires on you next year.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
They only lost one player so the only battle was only to be Beagle's replacement. Boyd or Dowd, fingers crossed the homegrown guy deserves it more.

Because of contracts, waiver stuff, etc. only one spot to be fought over.

Next season there will be some actual legit spots open.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
They only lost one player so the only battle was only to be Beagle's replacement. Boyd or Dowd, fingers crossed the homegrown guy deserves it more.

I think Kuzy actually said it well in his interview, that even though we only lost Beags, other jobs are not guaranteed. If a youngster or new vet beats out a Bura or Stephenson or DSP, or any other other bottom 6 returnee, so be it. The mindset that only one job is open means less incentive to those other youngsters who don't expect to slot into 4th line C.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think Kuzy actually said it well in his interview, that even though we only lost Beags, other jobs are not guaranteed. If a youngster or new vet beats out a Bura or Stephenson or DSP, or any other other bottom 6 returnee, so be it. The mindset that only one job is open means less incentive to those other youngsters who don't expect to slot into 4th line C.

There will be internal battle to be 1st callup anyway. In case of injury someone is going to get a chance and they still have to impress in the AHL. Having a good band there makes it easier and more pleasant for them (playing down while battling for position in the depth chart) so everything should be OK.

Btw, do they have a coach in the AHL at all? :P I forgot who it is this season.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Colorado wanted to increase cap flexibility? That's really the angle you're pursuing?
The Caps did, obviously.

Your original point was to support The Atlantic's assertion, and to use the trade as some sort of evidence. If their assertion was anywhere close to accurate, the Caps wouldn't have brought him back. Him being the least valuable defenseman in the league is nothing short of absurd.

I get it, you are a possession player guy. You don't like non-possession players and are going to back metrics that support that.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Caps did, obviously.

Your original point was to support The Atlantic's assertion, and to use the trade as some sort of evidence. If their assertion was anywhere close to accurate, the Caps wouldn't have brought him back. Him being the least valuable defenseman in the league is nothing short of absurd.

I get it, you are a possession player guy. You don't like non-possession players and are going to back metrics that support that.

My original post cited BOTH the negative value trade AND the subsequent buyout. It wasn't a direct response to The Athletic, but to the conversation that had ensued in this thread regarding Orpik in general.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
My original post cited BOTH the negative value trade AND the subsequent buyout. It wasn't a direct response to The Athletic, but to the conversation that had ensued in this thread regarding Orpik in general.

Last year Colorado was the youngest team in the league. Its possible that they're just going with youth and only processed Orpik because they wanted to seal the deal for Grubauer and the Caps insisted on the package. They have 9 or 10 d-men under contract. Why ELSE would they take him, except as part of the negotiations for the younger G they wanted?

It's not necessarily a statement of Orpik's skills so much as his relative worth to Colorado's plan, and his role in the deal. Then he came back to the team that didn't want to lose him, and that he didn't want to leave, on a cheaper deal because of low cap space.

No need to read into it beyond that, imo.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Maybe later in the season but to start it will be exactly the same roster minus Beagle and whoever wins the Beagle spot.

Ovie Kuzy Wilson
Oshie Backs Vrana
Connelly Eller Burakovsky
Stephenson ? Smith-Pelly

Carlson Kempny
Orlov Niskanen
Orpik Djoos

Opening night lineup (assuming no injuries). Write it in pen.

Reactions: Todos a la Calle

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Last year Colorado was the youngest team in the league. Its possible that they're just going with youth and only processed Orpik because they wanted to seal the deal for Grubauer and the Caps insisted on the package. They have 9 or 10 d-men under contract. Why ELSE would they take him, except as part of the negotiations for the younger G they wanted?

It's not necessarily a statement of Orpik's skills so much as his relative worth to Colorado's plan, and his role in the deal. Then he came back to the team that didn't want to lose him, and that he didn't want to leave, on a cheaper deal because of low cap space.

No need to read into it beyond that, imo.

Not unless you have a narrative to constantly support. Let’s not forget that piece (and it’s not like he can “read” me these days anyway, he told me I went on his Ignore list. The horrors of it all).

Reactions: third man in

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Maybe later in the season but to start it will be exactly the same roster minus Beagle and whoever wins the Beagle spot.

Ovie Kuzy Wilson
Oshie Backs Vrana
Connelly Eller Burakovsky
Stephenson ? Smith-Pelly

Carlson Kempny
Orlov Niskanen
Orpik Djoos

Opening night lineup (assuming no injuries). Write it in pen.

Maybe not in permanent ink, Oshie plays on the right ;)

Reactions: Devil Dancer

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
To the point of Orpik for negative assets - I think that as a part of the deal, Colorado was required to buy out Orpik. They sure seemed hasty in their decision to do so. It's not like they were cash crunched and needed the space ASAP. Nothing that happened was a coincidence. It was all planned, including his return to the team.

Another point, we kept overvaluing Grubby in the run up to being almost certain that George would take him. And I think some may still have overvalued him when downplaying Orpik WRT to the trade. Maybe Grubby is not as great as many thought. He had the starting job in the playoffs, and quickly lost it.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Jets did exactly the same thing the Caps did, they wanted out of Mason's 4.1 contract so they gave the Habs Joel Armia, and two late draft picks to take Mason. They waived him a few hours later, 1.3 against the cap for the next two seasons for the buyout.

The only difference is no team has been dumb enough to sign Mason. :laugh:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

I know they play tomorrow night as well but no Bowey three games seems a bit strange. I know they want to give guys looks but he seems like a candidate to get a ton of TOI earlier on in camp to get into the flow of things, particularly since he may not play a ton once the season starts. Kind of makes you wonder. He may still play a lot if they mostly hold Carlson out of the pre-season. We'll see I guess.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

I think the 7th d spot which ultimately may become the 6th d spot at some point this season depending on how Orpik ages is absolutely up for competition.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I think the 7th d spot which ultimately may become the 6th d spot at some point this season depending on how Orpik ages is absolutely up for competition.

To start the season? I hope you are correct and Hobbs or Seigenthaler or Johansen get some games. I doubt it though.

As the season goes along sure, if Djoos, Orpik or Bowey completely shit the bed.......

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ovie playing a road game in the early pre-season. Nice treat for the Quebec fans.

Pilon on my darkhorse 4C watch.

Do you mean Pinho, cause if so I agree. He was really good in the rookie tournament and just finished college and was the captain his senior year. He might be ready for a shot.

Pilon is off to Hershy I would think, since he is just coming out of junior.

Both are right shot centers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silky mitts

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Do you mean Pinho, cause if so I agree. He was really good in the rookie tournament and just finished college and was the captain his senior year. He might be ready for a shot.

Pilon is off to Hershy I would think, since he is just coming out of junior.

Both are right shot centers.
I mean Pilon. I'm skeptical Pinho has what it takes to stick at the NHL level. Pilon has more upside, albeit not as polished.

Granted, if Pinho is able to hang in with the game when played at full NHL speed, 4C seems like it would fit his skillset reasonably well.

Reactions: GoCaps2004
Sep 19, 2008
A garden center in Northern Virginia made a Stanley Cup scarecrow in honor of the Capitals. It’s 20-feet tall.

TFIh_gQAo_OimO2mkHitIhsqYG-NKv3TEWxSxwgqF_U.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad