Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Don't kid yourself, there are far more spots than 1 to be earned with a good camp/start to the season. I don't think Reirden has penciled guys like Connolly, DSP, Burakovsky, Stephenson and Orpik in for 82 games if they don't earn their spots and have a good start to the season.

That's without even mentioning the possible injuries.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Maybe later in the season but to start it will be exactly the same roster minus Beagle and whoever wins the Beagle spot.

Ovie Kuzy Wilson
Oshie Backs Vrana
Connelly Eller Burakovsky
Stephenson ? Smith-Pelly

Carlson Kempny
Orlov Niskanen
Orpik Djoos

Opening night lineup (assuming no injuries). Write it in pen.

No Shumakov?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Don't kid yourself, there are far more spots than 1 to be earned with a good camp/start to the season. I don't think Reirden has penciled guys like Connolly, DSP, Burakovsky, Stephenson and Orpik in for 82 games if they don't earn their spots and have a good start to the season.

I don't know about the other guys, but re: Burakovsky, my feeling is that his spot is pretty much guaranteed. Right or wrong, I think the Caps are pretty invested in him - even more so given the new emphasis on development. Something in the interviews reinforced that vibe for me. Reirden seems to be big on giving players confidence, too, so I don't think Bura's gonna get yanked out of his spot after bad games, either (see Kempny).

And certainly in terms of team construction/planning, I think it makes sense to give Bura every opportunity, since you have to make a big decision by the end of the year. You can afford to wait/do whatever with many of the other guys...

Also, so far some of the prospects look pretty good but not mesmerizing. For that matter, I don't think Connolly is under much (if any) threat of dropping out of the lineup, either, not for a while.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don't know about the other guys, but re: Burakovsky, my feeling is that his spot is pretty much guaranteed. Right or wrong, I think the Caps are pretty invested in him - even more so given the new emphasis on development. Something in the interviews reinforced that vibe for me. Reirden seems to be big on giving players confidence, too, so I don't think Bura's gonna get yanked out of his spot after bad games, either (see Kempny).

And certainly in terms of team construction/planning, I think it makes sense to give Bura every opportunity, since you have to make a big decision by the end of the year. You can afford to wait/do whatever with many of the other guys...

Also, so far some of the prospects look pretty good but not mesmerizing. For that matter, I don't think Connolly is under much (if any) threat of dropping out of the lineup, either, not for a while.

Shumakov would be the likely candidate to relegate Connolly to 4th line duties w DSP and 4C...which will eventually be Stephenson...IMO.

As I said in another thread, I think it will be (assuming all healthy) the below lineup by Thanksgiving:

Ovechkin — Kuznetsov — Wilson
Vrana — Backstrom — Oshie
Burakovsky — Eller — Shumakov
Connolly — Stephenson — Smith-Pelly
Boyd/Dowd

This is where I think things will end up. We will see. Obv mix and match players based on matchups and chemistry, but?....

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
To start the season? I hope you are correct and Hobbs or Seigenthaler or Johansen get some games. I doubt it though.

As the season goes along sure, if Djoos, Orpik or Bowey completely **** the bed.......
I think a guy like Orpik is obviously more expendable now with less tied up in cap space. At a certain point father time will catch up with him, even if it is simply needing a few nights off.

For the most part we were incredibly fortunate last year regarding injuries so I also think we need to have guys ready in the wings if that's not the case this year.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
Shumakov would be the likely candidate to relegate Connolly to 4th line duties w DSP and 4C...which will eventually be Stephenson...IMO.

As I said in another thread, I think it will be (assuming all healthy) the below lineup by Thanksgiving:

Boyd/Dowd

This is where I think things will end up. We will see. Obv mix and match players based on matchups and chemistry, but?....

Ha- the by Thanksgiving lineup. I like this concept.

Here's a slight twist:

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Wilson
Shumakov - Backstrom - Oshie
Burakovsky - Eller - Vrana
Connolly - Stephenson - Smith-Pelley
Boyd/Barber

Kempney - Carlson
Orlov - Niskanen
Orpik - Djoos
Bowey

Holtby
Copley

Boyd/Dowd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Without injuries which of the guys above do you see realistically not on the opening night roster?

Reactions: Sam Spade

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Without injuries which of the guys above do you see realistically not on the opening night roster?
I expect DSP to take some scratches. Maybe Connolly too.

Opening night is irrelevant, since it will likely be pandering to the Cup winning lineup.

Reactions: teddygmr

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Opening night is irrelevant, since it will likely be pandering to the Cup winning lineup.

Yeah but those guys will still be on the NHL roster and probably just come in and out for each other if they are going bad. Injury will be the only way Gersich or whoever gets meaningful time.

The opening up front is for who is this years Chaisson and who fills the 4c role.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devil Dancer

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Yes, with a 23 man roster some players will take scratches. Burakovsky tends to take scratches as a for instance. Connolly gets scratched. All 23 need to play.

My question is which of the mentioned players is going to lose his job on the team and get removed from the 23 man roster? If not, then injury fill in is the only way the prospects get in the lineup.

Do you see Connolly get cut?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think Stephenson can be more than an NHL 4C myself.....

Yes. But not this season....we will be the *best team* we can be with that strength down the middle that he will provide.

As you know....Cup winners usually possess amazing backbones. That C, D, G combo is huge. Beagles ability to dominate from that 4C slot (and Cullen’s before him in Pitt, Vermette in Chi, Richards in LA.....the past 5 seasons) was a massive leg up for the Caps.

I see Stephenson in the same vein. Unless Boyd takes a leap forward (and he could, I get it), this is the path to another Cup, IMO. AND the team has W depth in spades. Much moreso than at C, after Eller.

Again...just my opinion brother.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
What game was it, that Oshie the Destroyer destroyed 2 different defensemen, that led directly to 2 goals?

My memory is clouded by watching Ovi hoist the cup 1000 times.

Game 4 of the finals.

And to be pedantic for the first goal where he knocked a dude over he knocked over a forward, not a defenseman. (old friend Cody Eakin)

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Game 4 of the finals.

And to be pedantic for the first goal where he knocked a dude over he knocked over a forward, not a defenseman. (old friend Cody Eakin)

Thanks. I knew it was late vs Vegas, but you just saved me a lot of time. Ah, I didn't remember that it was carrot top Cody Eakin. I remember running into him long after a scrimmage at Kettler in which he had the GWG and thinking the future looked bright. We traded him for Ribeiro - what a bum.

Oshie scored the first goal in that game 4. I would like to see us trying to score off the rush on PPs like we did on his goal. Sure our setup is 25% but I think so are odd mans. So Oshie takes out PKr Eakin at 3:15 disrupting the BOX and then at 4:10 takes out 2 D. First Miller who was more intent on embellishing, and then drove the net proper taking out Theo which cleared the way for the Kempny goal. I used to drive the net in my famed roller career until an ogre missing a tooth pitchforked me. I like guys driving the net occupying D and not looking for a pass. Oshie is awesome.

Game 4 highlights

Reactions: StrikingDistance

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Boyd/Dowd

That lineup is one of the scenarios I think could happen. Since Shumakov is a left winger anithe scenario could be to trade Burakovsky.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If Shumakov looks good I would like to see BMac try and sell Bura on a high. He had 2 nice breakaway goals but that is pretty much him. One on one with the G is his wheelhouse. Short of PP time, he is kind of wasting away here.

Anytime we think he is finally breaking out, hat trick, whatever, boom - do it. Try and fetch a first from some middling team. Oh and draft a forward. A RH shot if its a center or shoot first type, and a LH shot if he's a pass first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devil Dancer

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
If Shumakov looks good I would like to see BMac try and sell Bura on a high. He had 2 nice breakaway goals but that is pretty much him. One on one with the G is his wheelhouse. Short of PP time, he is kind of wasting away here.

Anytime we think he is finally breaking out, hat trick, whatever, boom - do it. Try and fetch a first from some middling team. Oh and draft a forward.

Trade him for a draft pick? F that, back to back baby.

Trading him for another roster player makes way more sense.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think this is a "sell high" moment for Burakovsky. Right now, his value definitely isn't peaking high. And if he's playing well enough to peak his value in season, I don't think many would be on board with trading him at that point. It would take a perfect storm of Burakovsky, Vrana, Shumakov, and Connolly all playing well simultaneously (along with no injuries to Oshie, Wilson, or Ovechkin) to stack the deck in a fashion that would allow for Burakovsky to be a sell high candidate without negatively impacting the teams' odds.

Burakovsky is possibly a candidate to be traded similar to Fleischmann, but he doesn't have nearly as much of a track record of production as Flash had when he was traded. I don't know if we would get as much back in exchange for him.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Thanks. I knew it was late vs Vegas, but you just saved me a lot of time. Ah, I didn't remember that it was carrot top Cody Eakin. I remember running into him long after a scrimmage at Kettler in which he had the GWG and thinking the future looked bright. We traded him for Ribeiro - what a bum.

Oshie scored the first goal in that game 4. I would like to see us trying to score off the rush on PPs like we did on his goal. Sure our setup is 25% but I think so are odd mans. So Oshie takes out PKr Eakin at 3:15 disrupting the BOX and then at 4:10 takes out 2 D. First Miller who was more intent on embellishing, and then drove the net proper taking out Theo which cleared the way for the Kempny goal. I used to drive the net in my famed roller career until an ogre missing a tooth pitchforked me. I like guys driving the net occupying D and not looking for a pass. Oshie is awesome.

Game 4 highlights

Such a dominant game from 77. It still blows my mind that people on here wanted to keep Williams over him last summer, even taking contracts into consideration.

Reactions: RandyHolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad