Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Nobody could accuse me of being a fan of old & slow possession disasters, but Orpik as a #6 guy for 1M slots in very nicely, IMO. Could easily have another good year (or two) in him, veteran poise, injury insurance, PK blocking pad, etc, etc. Can always limit his minutes when needed.

The only way this backfires is if Bowey (or whoever) plays well, Orpik starts to decline, and Reirden completely loses objectivity in refusing to pull Orpik out of the lineup. Is this possible? Yeah... but in that case the main problem becomes Reirden. You're kind of screwed anyway if the GM has to put together rosters in such a way as to avoid the coach playing favorites with certain players.

Reactions: txpd and Sam Spade

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
How's the new kid looked with 2? I heard rave reviews on Twitter. Wonder if he'd make the team as a 6 or 7.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Then that means those youngsters aren’t outperforming ole sucky Orpik. But hey, let’s force ****tier players into the lineup because.....

I'm placing a self imposed moratorium on talking about Orpik. I will let his play speak for itself.

Really it's a win/win for me. ;)

As long as the Caps don't lose games because of him.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Now that Orpik only earns $1m I would have thought it would help the debate a little bit.

Even if he does play below average it could be better long term for the development of the young guns for him to be paired with them and talk to them on the bench after every shift, help them deal with situations on the ice etc. (Intangible, I know).

I do agree though that he does seem to be something of an anchor, with every player seemingly playing better away from him than with him...

From my standpoint the most interesting thing will be if he sits for a game and two of the kids get some chemistry and start playing well, will they break that up in favour of shoe horning Orpik in and ice a worse team as a result?

BTW unrelated - I just made a keeper league, currently just me and my friend - both UK based. If you're keen give me a PM or check my post on the fantasy forum

Reactions: Sam Spade

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
What did he say?

He was asked which Capitals member he would want on a desert island with him. He said he would want Orpik because he's a leader and would probably know what to do.

Then again, Corby78 may have instead been referring to another question where Backstrom was asked who had the worst stick tape job on the team, as he answered Orpik for that as well.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
What did he say?

So they were giving him a "one word" type rapid fire interview. They asked him "your on an island, who do you want with you?" He answered Orpik. When asked why, he went into more detail on how Orpik is the guy who will take care of you. He will make good decisions, and make sure you don't do something stupid, he is smart and cares about the team. And that was coming from Nicky who is a elder himself.

I don't mind him hanging around helping the new kids at all.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Colorado wanted to increase cap flexibility? That's really the angle you're pursuing?
I assume they mean the Caps wanted to clear cap space and would have bought Orpik out if they couldn't trade him for negative assets.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I assume they mean the Caps wanted to clear cap space and would have bought Orpik out if they couldn't trade him for negative assets.
But that's not addressing my original post, which is being called into question by NBTW. My original point is that not only did the Caps trade Orpik for negative assets, Colorado (one of the lowest payroll teams in the NHL with one of the most questionable defenses) bought him out afterwards.

Here's the bottom line, as I said in a previous post. Orpik at $1M is a fine deal. I have no problems with it. But by in large (ELCs and bridge deals aside), $1M defensemen tend to be pretty bad defensemen.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
But that's not addressing my original post, which is being called into question by NBTW. My original point is that not only did the Caps trade Orpik for negative assets, Colorado (one of the lowest payroll teams in the NHL with one of the most questionable defenses) bought him out afterwards.

Here's the bottom line, as I said in a previous post. Orpik at $1M is a fine deal. I have no problems with it. But by in large (ELCs and bridge deals aside), $1M defensemen tend to be pretty bad defensemen.
I think Colorado thought we've got 6 legitimate NHL defensemen but we still suck defensively and we're planning to add someone who will tangibly help our D with Ian Cole, Orpik's presence isn't worth the $1.5M we'd save.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So they were giving him a "one word" type rapid fire interview. They asked him "your on an island, who do you want with you?" He answered Orpik. When asked why, he went into more detail on how Orpik is the guy who will take care of you. He will make good decisions, and make sure you don't do something stupid, he is smart and cares about the team. And that was coming from Nicky who is a elder himself.

I don't mind him hanging around helping the new kids at all.

Thanks. Not surprised at all.
Meanwhile I look forward to another full season of Orpik hate.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Didn't realize Marthinsen was playing in the WHL this season. His statline playing junior hockey in Sweden is peculiar (36 goals over 42 games the past two years, but only 13 assists) so he will be an interesting one to follow now that he's against better competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad