Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If Shumakov looks good I would like to see BMac try and sell Bura on a high. He had 2 nice breakaway goals but that is pretty much him. One on one with the G is his wheelhouse. Short of PP time, he is kind of wasting away here.

Anytime we think he is finally breaking out, hat trick, whatever, boom - do it. Try and fetch a first from some middling team. Oh and draft a forward. A RH shot if its a center or shoot first type, and a LH shot if he's a pass first.

Burt just isn't worth enough in futures to get even a likely NHL player.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Thanks. I knew it was late vs Vegas, but you just saved me a lot of time. Ah, I didn't remember that it was carrot top Cody Eakin. I remember running into him long after a scrimmage at Kettler in which he had the GWG and thinking the future looked bright. We traded him for Ribeiro - what a bum.

Oshie scored the first goal in that game 4. I would like to see us trying to score off the rush on PPs like we did on his goal. Sure our setup is 25% but I think so are odd mans. So Oshie takes out PKr Eakin at 3:15 disrupting the BOX and then at 4:10 takes out 2 D. First Miller who was more intent on embellishing, and then drove the net proper taking out Theo which cleared the way for the Kempny goal. I used to drive the net in my famed roller career until an ogre missing a tooth pitchforked me. I like guys driving the net occupying D and not looking for a pass. Oshie is awesome.

Game 4 highlights

Love how he goes right back after McNabb. Then the Oshie chants as he's being thrown off.

I think this is also the scrum from the Mic'd Up highlight video where Backstrom is chirping Engelland "thank god he's playing you, stay on the ice."

Edit: Yup, same scrum. And of course Oshie goes right after Engelland when he shoves 19 even though he was cheapshotted into the boards a minute earlier. f***ing beast.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandyHolt

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Such a dominant game from 77. It still blows my mind that people on here wanted to keep Williams over him last summer, even taking contracts into consideration.
He had a hat trick against the Pens in the playoffs his 1st year in DC with the OT game winner on a gimpy ankle when it felt like everyone but Ovy was just floating, such a gamer.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Burt just isn't worth enough in futures to get even a likely NHL player.

Then don't bother, just scratch him as depth. Otherwise, sell on any high. Hopefully an ask gets bumped up by a team with injuries etc.

Last edited:

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
While I agree our prospect pool is relatively weak, I don't think these pre-season games have much correlation with the quality of our prospects.
If it's because they didn't have enough time to develop chemistry to show their true potential, other's team prospects were in same situation.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I took my caps Stanley cup champs hat and threw it in the fire pit last night
I looked for this clip from The Shield where they throw the softball trophy in the garbage and Vic says "It's ok, we'll beat internal affairs again next year"

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Isabelle about Rierden on DSP. . Interesting.

Yeah this smells of "Jake Dothchin" to me. Maybe not 40 lbs overweight like the claim made on Dothchin but probably something pretty bad.

Glass half full person that I am, maybe this means a kid like Gersich gets a legit shot to start the season.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This is pretty interesting stuff from Reirden, Izzy doing work today!!

Looks like Burka will get a longer leash than he did with Trotz.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Then don't bother, just scratch him as depth. Otherwise, sell on any high. Hopefully an ask gets bumped up by a team with injuries etc.

Do you believe that a guy not producing and hits on a hatty will suddenly bust his value ceiling? Of he scores 12 goals in the first 40, he will have value.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
For roster players yes.
For evaluating the macro state of a prospect system, as well.

You may well be able to draw conclusions about individual players' readiness from some pre-season games, but the win/loss records and game outcomes are of no consequence to the overall state of a farm system. Remember that pre-season games have a blend of both roster players and prospects, and that both are often asked to fill roles they would not otherwise have in regular season play (either on the NHL roster or a minor/junior/euro roster). Remember that many of the younger prospects get a very limited audition in the pre-season, regardless of their ultimate NHL potential (see many of the CHL players already being returned to their teams, including Alexeyev). Remember that coaches will often be trying out systems changes and roster experiments in the pre-season. Remember that players are often still working their way back into game shape and are far from perfect conditioning. Remember that players may be trying out new stick blades or other equipment changes that take time to acclimate to. Remember that rosters may be filled in large part by minor league plugs and organizational depth players that don't figure into an organizations prospect plans.

Take pre-season games with a massive dose of salt. I agree with you that the Capitals have a weak prospect pipeline, but it has nothing to do with these pre-season results.

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Take pre-season games with a massive dose of salt. I agree with you that the Capitals have a weak prospect pipeline, but it has nothing to do with these pre-season results.
Yes, sample size is pretty small, it was just my guess based on an eye test. I agree that roster players could win one of these by themselves and it wouldn't mean that Caps' prospects are better.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Such a dominant game from 77. It still blows my mind that people on here wanted to keep Williams over him last summer, even taking contracts into consideration.

One can see quickly he's a high skill level... battler.

Heck the Olympics and him taking all shootouts over some high skilled guys. All of them. That says an awful lot. Watch his ~first preseason game here, where he clobbered and fought McQuaid (after engaging some other punk) and held his own. His game hasn't changed. He is a throwback a guy that plays like he is playing for his next contract every year.

MONSTER hit on McQuaid

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Do you believe that a guy not producing and hits on a hatty will suddenly bust his value ceiling? Of he scores 12 goals in the first 40, he will have value.

Both pump his value. I don't need to tell you it takes a lot of skill to score a hattie at ES in the modern game. It's consistency he lacks, not skill - that can be significantly improved upon in a new town.

Maybe there he would get PP1 time, and suddenly all our concerns over consistency will prove to be largely unfounded.

PP1 time alone may fool some into thinking he is a first line player. Even dumb GMs. But we will never attempt to pump his value so whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
But I would say that their meekness 5-on-5 thus far is very much in line with the reality that they have a very weak system up front. People reference Gersich as perhaps a future scoring-line player but he first needs to show some signs of skill in transition. Thus far they've had one cut to the net on an entry by Pilon and some short-handed chances by AJF. But it's very striking to me how little the younger and supposedly faster group hasn't managed to create much at all in transition, even against some fairly weak and similarly young bluelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad