Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
@Panarin

It takes only one GM who will overpay for him thinking his org can showcase the team and yhe city in tge best possible way and then that GM will have a chance to extend him.

That risk isnt huge for the team trying to win. Like Nashville. Reality can be rough in a form of Lavi getting tuned out, just for example. But thats not the reason to expect bad things for GM. He can try.

Although those teams are numbered.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
You already stated that you're moving one of them with Burakovsky for Panarin. It probably cost us one of Siegenthaler/LuJo who are the two closest to being NHL ready. Those two maybe beat out Djoos or Kempny who will have very minimal cap hits. They aren't going to move Orlov IMO. I can't see Djoos making more than Kempny, so that's $5.5 million or less in cap space moved out if you add Burakovsy on top of Kempny's cap hit. It just won't be possible unless we are moving out more salary
I can see them moving Niskanen at some point. The trade wouldnt cost both Siegenthaler and LuJo, only one of them.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
And just a few days ago, it was almost done to Dallas. He may get traded to Tampa (I've indicated why it doesn't particularly scare me), but it's certainly not a case of "Karlsson is a Bolt". You put far too much stock into internet rumor. Apparently the Pacioretty deal has been done for what, a month now?
Even if the trade with Tampa falls through, the Caps are not the team he's going to. They re-signed Carlson and won't move him out of the PP unit. It would set him for making his contract look bad. They just won't do that. Some may understand that, some don't. Let's leave it at that.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
It's a good thing I'm not going to waste my time on this dialogue with you anymore.
you clearly waste your time on lots of things, like trying to imagine a world where another superstar fits under the cap while gutting the bottom half of the roster, both trading away prospects and keeping them to play under the bread man.

you're having your bread and eating it, too.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
you clearly waste your time on lots of things, like trying to imagine a world where another superstar fits under the cap while gutting the bottom half of the roster, both trading away prospects and keeping them to play under the bread man.

you're having your bread and eating it, too.
You can enjoy your prospects forever, I don't mind.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
It's a good thing I'm not going to waste my time on this dialogue with you anymore.
You can enjoy your prospects forever, I don't mind.
if you can't see your hypocrisy, that's going to have to be where we disagree. i'm convinced that trading prospects away limits your ability to put them on your team, but you insist they'll be there to play for the league minimum so that we can pay panarin. it's almost as if you don't understand what you're talking about.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
if you can't see your hypocrisy, that's going to have to be where we disagree. i'm convinced that trading prospects away limits your ability to put them on your team, but you insist they'll be there to play for the league minimum so that we can pay panarin. it's almost as if you don't understand what you're talking about.
There's the difference between dialogue and short 'go away' type of answer. Give it up. I don't know what are you even talking about in this reply. As if you almost have no idea what was said by the other guy in convo.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I can see them moving Niskanen at some point. The trade wouldnt cost both Siegenthaler and LuJo, only one of them.
They can't afford to move Niskanen. There isn't a prospect in the system that would bring to the table what he provides and trying to sign another UFA to replace him would be even more costly. Our RD prospects aren't really projected to be able to replace him either, especially in the short term. Right now we only have Lewington, Williams and Hobbs in Hershey and Priskie/Maass in college.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
There's the difference between dialogue and short 'go away' type of answer. Give it up. I don't know what are you even talking about in this reply. As if you almost have no idea what was said by the other guy in convo.
ok, i'll spell it out slowly for you, darling. by trading the defensive prospects closest to nhl ready, your plan to ship off niskanen in order to resign panarin next off-season falls to pieces. your lack of understanding demonstrates you truly are the one that's lost in this conversation.

enjoy your faffing.

Reactions: third man in

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
They can't afford to move Niskanen. There isn't a prospect in the system that would bring to the table what he provides and trying to sign another UFA to replace him would be even more costly. Our RD prospects aren't really projected to be able to replace him either, especially in the short term. Right now we only have Lewington, Williams and Hobbs in Hershey and Priskie/Maass in college.
Is it necessarily have to be RD who replaces him? He doesnt play on the PP and his successor wont for the foreseeable future. Projected or not, there's no sense in having those prospects if they seem to be never ready. There's a bunch of already 21-22-23 yr olds waiting. I dont think Caps plan to wait for them to be 30 something when they're finally ready. They have to try them sooner than later.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
ok, i'll spell it out slowly for you, darling. by trading the defensive prospects closest to nhl ready, your plan to ship off niskanen in order to resign panarin next off-season falls to pieces. your lack of understanding demonstrates you truly are the one that's lost in this conversation.

enjoy your faffing.
Okay, the guy who 3 hours later still doesnt realize that its only one D prospect which I proposed to trade, trying to box me into a corner while not having anything worthwhile to say on the topic. Have a good day.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Okay, the guy who 3 hours later still doesnt realize that its only one D prospect which I proposed to trade, trying to box me into a corner while not having anything worthwhile to say on the topic. Have a good day.
we don't have many defensive prospects projected to be top pairing or even nhl-ready, so it is a bit of faff when you want to ship one off and rely upon a suddenly less nhl-ready prospect pool the next season to step in and fill a void created by your idiocy. if you really think that trading for panarin is a good idea, i guess it's time to ignore whatever else you think.

pull your head out of your ass. we're not trading for another superstar when we only need to sign a decent #5 d.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Trading Niskanen is the last resort. From his interviews I sense that he cares, wants to win and overall happy with his role here. He's not old yet. His contract is very good. There is good chance he would sign an extension. That's not the player you mess with. And his style of play could lead one to believe he's not on heavy decline.

The elephant in the room is Oshie. Honestly, guy is money, but he's injury prone, lost step already (or two maybe), has bad contract. And we've already won. Oshie already did what he was brought here for. GMBM can trade him if it's necessary. And trading him early will get better return.

You trade Bura and/or Oshie long before Niskanen in my opinion.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Would be surprised if we don’t hear anything regarding Wilson’s deal by the end of the week. Free agency is in its second week, you squat too long on Wilson’s negotiations by the time you’re done you may find the little cap you saved was meaningless because most guys are signed (Orpik included)

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Is it necessarily have to be RD who replaces him? He doesnt play on the PP and his successor wont for the foreseeable future. Projected or not, there's no sense in having those prospects if they seem to be never ready. There's a bunch of already 21-22-23 yr olds waiting. I dont think Caps plan to wait for them to be 30 something when they're finally ready. They have to try them sooner than later.
Their ceilings aren't at Niskanen's level. It would be a gigantic downgrade to move Niskanen and try and replace his tough minutes with the likes of any of those guys. Bowey hasn't shown and promise that he can step up either. They could try and move a LD to RD if they really wanted to try and balance out the prospect pool a bit but even that's risky. They tried LuJo at RD a few games last season in Hershey and he was atrocious.

Regardless, something will have to happen with the prospects at some point due to the fact that there's way too many of them. It could be as simple as the organization moves on from Bowey or Djoos at some point to make room for the likes of LuJo, Siegenthaler, Geisser, Hobbs, Alexeyev, etc. or they try and do some prospect swaps with other organizations

Reactions: RandyHolt

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The elephant in the room is Oshie.
How is it not Holtby? I don't see how anyone can realistically talk about bringing in Karlsson or Panarin and not look to move on from Holtby in 2 years for space.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I get that everybody scared of changes after the victory but Malkin wont be injured every year and Letang wont have surgery every summer, Tavares made Toronto an offensive powerhouse, TB is getting Karlsson. If its the arms race and Caps want to repeat, they have assets and pretty good cap situation to build on their success and not to be left in last season. Also getting EK while you have JC absolutely doesnt make any sense, you dont pay 8M to a guy who won't be the man neither as shutdown D nor as quarterback on a PP. Sign Bowey and they 95% set on D. Nothing to speculate on there.

I appreciate what you are trying to say here.... but the only real “threat” to me is the Pens. Sure they weren’t themselves, but we also didn’t have Tom for 3games and Backstrom for 1.5.

Tampa will be interesting to watch, as their pressure will ratchet up to Caps 2016 & 2017 levels. Can they handle it? Toronto? They haven’t won dick in 50yrs. So like us....until they have, they haven’t. Tavares in, JVR & Bozak out. Their kids will get better, but their defense blows and their #1G has never won anything.

I’m all over standing pat. Add Orpik back to solidly the D, and let the kid wingers continue to develop on O. Our C depth is as good as anyone’s, and those that compete with us don’t have the D and G (save maybe Tampa)

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
How is it not Holtby? I don't see how anyone can realistically talk about bringing in Karlsson or Panarin and not look to move on from Holtby in 2 years for space.
Very few goalies get to the level Holtby plays on. He's already well paid and his salart won't be raised much (my speculation). I don't see a need to trade him. He isn't damaged and isn't old. He's in prime.

That Samsonov guy (I heard he's from Russia btw) could be a bust easily. Or Grubi level goalie. Why trade your best goalie in the history of franchise?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Their ceilings aren't at Niskanen's level. It would be a gigantic downgrade to move Niskanen and try and replace his tough minutes with the likes of any of those guys. Bowey hasn't shown and promise that he can step up either. They could try and move a LD to RD if they really wanted to try and balance out the prospect pool a bit but even that's risky. They tried LuJo at RD a few games last season in Hershey and he was atrocious.

Regardless, something will have to happen with the prospects at some point due to the fact that there's way too many of them. It could be as simple as the organization moves on from Bowey or Djoos at some point to make room for the likes of LuJo, Siegenthaler, Geisser, Hobbs, Alexeyev, etc. or they try and do some prospect swaps with other organizations
I get that Nisky is very valuable but what I'm trying to say is they might want to get rid of him before he starts to decline. Not now but it's possible in a year maybe. He's almost 32 and handles many tough minutes with many physical battles. At some point it catches up to a player and he becomes no more than cap dump as an asset. If they trust their own job at the draft, one of these seasons they will sit at the table and say 'Okay, lets see what we have in our system, lets try to get young boys playing'

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I get that Nisky is very valuable but what I'm trying to say is they might want to get rid of him before he starts to decline. Not now but it's possible in a year maybe. He's almost 32 and handles many tough minutes with many physical battles. At some point it catches up to a player and he becomes no more than cap dump as an asset. If they trust their own job at the draft, one of these seasons they will sit at the table and say 'Okay, lets see what we have in our system, lets try to get young boys playing'

Orpik declined all the way to the cup. There is still time left for Nisky.

Young guy has to play like 4-5 years to get to the level of current Niskanen, probably. Do we have those years? Not really. While AO/NB are still good Caps have to push further.

Actually, if some of our youngish RDs gets to the new heights you can slot Niskanen as 3RD and have very deep RD. Fortunately, we don't have such good young RDs :D

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I appreciate what you are trying to say here.... but the only real “threat” to me is the Pens. Sure they weren’t themselves, but we also didn’t have Tom for 3games and Backstrom for 1.5.

Tampa will be interesting to watch, as their pressure will ratchet up to Caps 2016 & 2017 levels. Can they handle it? Toronto? They haven’t won dick in 50yrs. So like us....until they have, they haven’t. Tavares in, JVR & Bozak out. Their kids will get better, but their defense blows and their #1G has never won anything.

I’m all over standing pat. Add Orpik back to solidly the D, and let the kid wingers continue to develop on O. Our C depth is as good as anyone’s, and those that compete with us don’t have the D and G (save maybe Tampa)
After we won, I dont doubt anyone anymore just based of off previous failures. Leafs with that D, G and without Tavares made it to the Playoffs with 100+ pts. I'd say that JT more than makes up for the loss of JVR and Bozak. Its the matter of adjustment, not critical upgrade, to get past the 1st round at least for them. Tampa with the pressure? Agreed. Are they any worse because of that? Don't think so. Unlike us, they made it past the 2nd round 3 out of 4 times they've been in the postseason last years. With addition of Karlsson (if happens), I'd say they are far and away the best team in the league. It just takes from Vasilevski not to break mentally to get them back to the finals.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Niskanen only has three years left on his deal (2018-19, 2019-20, 2020-2021) and his cap hit is very team friendly for what he provides. If he shows signs of slowing down you might move him, but I don't think management pinpoints him as being a cap casualty. I'd sooner move Holtby's contract given that Samsonov should be ready to take the majority of games in a year or two.

The young guys are going to play (if they're ready) at some point but they're more likely t0 take the likes of Kempny, Djoos and Bowey's spots before Niskanen, Orlov or Carlson's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad