Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I get that everybody scared of changes after the victory but Malkin wont be injured every year and Letang wont have surgery every summer, Tavares made Toronto an offensive powerhouse, TB is getting Karlsson. If its the arms race and Caps want to repeat, they have assets and pretty good cap situation to build on their success and not to be left in last season. Also getting EK while you have JC absolutely doesnt make any sense, you dont pay 8M to a guy who won't be the man neither as shutdown D nor as quarterback on a PP. Sign Bowey and they 95% set on D. Nothing to speculate on there.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Getting Panarin for Burakovsky and a bunch of picks/prospects is not making a team top-heavy. Its making the team stacked. Burakovsky is internally replaceable player.
You've stated that the roster must be filled with minimum salary players though. We'd have two youngsters on the third pair, we'd have no cap to resign vrana or Stephenson, and then we're looking top heavy.

Reactions: third man in

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
I get that everybody scared of changes after the victory but Malkin wont be injured every year and Letang wont have surgery every summer, Tavares made Toronto an offensive powerhouse, TB is getting Karlsson. If its the arms race and Caps want to repeat, they have assets and pretty good cap situation to build on their success and not to be left in last season. Also getting EK while you have JC absolutely doesnt make any sense, you dont pay 8M to a guy who won't be the man neither as shutdown D nor as quarterback on a PP. Sign Bowey and they 95% set on D. Nothing to speculate on there.
Toronto committed themselves to cap trouble this year. They're all offense and no defense for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: calicapsfan

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
It would clear 3 mil this season and next season Caps will have money to work with based on growing cap limit and some expiring contracts. Yes, most of those contracts are not much more than league minimum or ELCs but again they WILL have the money to work with to re-sign Panarin even if the main roster piece coming other way is Burakovsky
In this scenario we lose Wilson, right?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
You've stated that the roster must be filled with minimum salary players though. We'd have two youngsters on the third pair, we'd have no cap to resign vrana or Stephenson, and then we're looking top heavy.
Stephenson and Vrana wont get big raises while playing bottom-6 minutes. Also while Vrana has talent, actually hes more skilled overall than Burakovsky to my taste, at the same time he's still didnt find out how to produce consistently. Caps need a guy that will do that.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Stephenson and Vrana wont get big raises while playing bottom-6 minutes. Also while Vrana has talent, actually hes more skilled overall than Burakovsky to my taste, at the same time he's still didnt find out how to produce consistently. Caps need a guy that will do that.
they'll get raises, though. As will djoos. And Connolly. And panarin. And copley. Even their prospect replacements are over the league minimum.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
So Wilson along with dmen 6 and 7 sign for 5.3 million? Dream on.
Bowey will cost less than a 1M. Same goes for 7th D if they make a splash for Panarin. Wilson will get around 4 a year. I know its a mainstream to lose your shit over Tom these days but he will cost 4-4,5 because that's what he worth and thats what Isabelle said couple weeks ago. Do your math and come back. And dont forget 3M of Burakovsky getting unloaded immediately if the trade happens

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
they'll get raises, though. As will djoos. And Connolly. And panarin. And copley. Even their prospect replacements are over the league minimum.
Connolly wont get anything in Wsh after this season. Copley is a suspect till proven otherwise. Him getting a raise is pretty bold prediction at this point. Cap limit also will get a raise I expect it would be a big one. At least 4-4,5 more than current one.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Bowey will cost less than a 1M. Same goes for 7th D if they make a splash for Panarin. Wilson will get around 4 a year. I know its a mainstream to lose your **** over Tom these days but he will cost 4-4,5 because that's what he worth and thats what Isabelle said couple weeks ago. Do your math and come back. And dont forget 3M of Burakovsky getting unloaded immediately if the trade happens
I did the math. Check your ego. 8.3+3-6=5.3 If Wilson signs, as you say, for 4-4.5, that leaves 0.8-1.3 for dmen 6 and 7 on a 23 man roster.

Ffs...

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Connolly wont get anything in Wsh after this season. Copley is a suspect till proven otherwise. Him getting a raise is pretty bold prediction at this point. Cap limit also will get a raise I expect it would be a big one. At least 4-4,5 more than current one.
Samsonov makes 150k more than Copley. That's a raise at that position. Your idea is awful. Get over yourself.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I did the math. Check your ego. 8.3+3-6=5.3 If Wilson signs, as you say, for 4-4.5, that leaves 0.8-1.3 for dmen 6 and 7 on a 23 man roster.

Ffs...
Out to lunch, bro. Walker will be nowhere around the roster when the season starts. They wont have 14 F to start the season. I suspect even Dowd might be placed on waivers if he loses the job to Boyd..

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Out to lunch, bro. Walker will be nowhere around the roster when the season starts. They wont have 14 F to start the season.
So a 22 man roster for the year? Great, that might afford bowey and a league minimum defender if Wilson signs for less than 4.2 million.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Until he wants 10 million next off-season and we can't afford him anymore.
Actually we can if we want to afford him. All those Dmen wont develop forever. If you believe our scouting service (I do) one of those draftees should make one of our current dmen expendable in a year or two. Everything doesnt have to stay the same forever

Reactions: um

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It would clear 3 mil this season and next season Caps will have money to work with based on growing cap limit and some expiring contracts. Yes, most of those contracts are not much more than league minimum or ELCs but again they WILL have the money to work with to re-sign Panarin even if the main roster piece coming other way is Burakovsky
Panarin is going to want Kuznetsov type money and maybe even more. Would it be awesome? Yes, but it's just not feasible unless we are moving out some big pieces, especially after Wilson gets his raise.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Panarin is going to want Kuznetsov type money and maybe even more. Would it be awesome? Yes, but it's just not feasible unless we are moving out some big pieces, especially after Wilson gets his raise.
Panarin will want more than Kuznetsov and I expect one of those Mahoney's D picks from 2-3 years ago to step up and make the roster. Next year it would be 3-4 years in the minors for some of them. That must be enough if Ross didnt drop the ball big time when chose them.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Panarin will want more than Kuznetsov and I expect one of those Mahoney's D picks from 2-3 years ago to step up and make the roster. Next year it would be 3-4 years in the minors for some of them. That must be enough if Ross didnt drop the ball big time when chose them.
You already stated that you're moving one of them with Burakovsky for Panarin. It probably cost us one of Siegenthaler/LuJo who are the two closest to being NHL ready. Those two maybe beat out Djoos or Kempny who will have very minimal cap hits. They aren't going to move Orlov IMO. I can't see Djoos making more than Kempny, so that's $5.5 million or less in cap space moved out if you add Burakovsy on top of Kempny's cap hit. It just won't be possible unless we are moving out more salary

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Actually we can if we want to afford him. All those Dmen wont develop forever. If you believe our scouting service (I do) one of those draftees should make one of our current dmen expendable in a year or two. Everything doesnt have to stay the same forever
It's a good thing you're not the gm. If anything, the caps should upgrade their fifth defender, not their sixth forward.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Based on many rumblings around the league. There was a tweet in which a some guy said he has a source in Ott media and that source is pretty sure the deal with Tampa is close to done they're just seeking for a third party to take cap dumps (Ryan/Callahan). Also apparently Karllson subscribed to Stamkos insta page. I get that it could not be related to the trade but I also dont believe Karlsson decided to sub to Stamkos in late June just like that while all those rumors flying around.
And just a few days ago, it was almost done to Dallas. He may get traded to Tampa (I've indicated why it doesn't particularly scare me), but it's certainly not a case of "Karlsson is a Bolt". You put far too much stock into internet rumor. Apparently the Pacioretty deal has been done for what, a month now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia