Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Or maybe he resigned because he already has made an agreement with Caps to join Reirden's team? He coached the D and was responsible for the penalty kill unit. I dunno how Canes PK played, were they any good?
24th in the league.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If Korn goes what happens when holtby goes mental next time and forgets how to play?

He'll have to phone home instead.
1BGGC3V.gif

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I didn't really expect Korn to be here next year, anyway. He was either going to retire or follow Trotz. At least we got a bonus dev camp out of him.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ppl talking about EK being friends with Hedman. So thats logical he agreeded to sign extension there if reports dont lie.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Guys what you think about the option of trading for Panarin? Our executive group seems like they don't give a f**k about drafting forwards with their early picks, D-core is loaded so it's the matter of time to develop them, G position is stacked with Holtby, Samsonov, Vanecek and now Gibson. They don't want to draft forwards anyways so why wouldnt they try and use a next year's 1st rder plus Burakovsky+ some of the d prospects+maybe F prospect of Riat/Pilon caliber and snag Bread out of Ohio? I get that he might have some specific demands on where he wants to land so ofc Caps should get the right to negotiate with him before the trade just like in TBL/Karlsson situation.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Guys what you think about the option of trading for Panarin? Our executive group seems like they don't give a f**k about drafting forwards with their early picks, D-core is loaded so it's the matter of time to develop them, G position is stacked with Holtby, Samsonov, Vanecek and now Gibson. They don't want to draft forwards anyways so why wouldnt they try and use a next year's 1st rder plus Burakovsky+ some of the d prospects+maybe F prospect of Riat/Pilon caliber and snag Bread out of Ohio? I get that he might have some specific demands on where he wants to land so ofc Caps should get the right to negotiate with him before the trade just like in TBL/Karlsson situation.
I get the feeling that the caps management thinks the top 6 is set for the near future with backstrom, kuznetsov, ovechkin, Wilson, oshie, and vrana. With Eller locked up too, there's not really a need to draft any forwards in the first round. As for d, we need to allow them to grow into a replacement for niskanen. Our young goalies have been excellent trade fodder, so we might as well keep that cupboard stocked.

We don't need the breadman if vrana can pot 20 goals this season. Sure, it'd be nice, but i doubt he'd fit under the cap.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Haven't scoured every single word so maybe this was mentioned, but as the current champs the Caps present an attractive destination for other players around the league. Landing a guy like EK is not out of the question. EK seems to want to win very badly and that's going to mean much more than who's buds with whom.

Whether or not you need him at the price is the question.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Haven't scoured every single word so maybe this was mentioned, but as the current champs the Caps present an attractive destination for other players around the league. Landing a guy like EK is not out of the question. EK seems to want to win very badly and that's going to mean much more than who's buds with whom.

Whether or not you need him at the price is the question.
EK is pretty much a Bolt barring some unexpected turn of events, this ship has sailed.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’m not really into making any large moves. I simply don’t think it’s necesary, and I worry it will do more harm than good.

Caps aren’t exactly “old” at forward. Sure, 8,19,77 are over 30 yrs old, but it’s the early stages of that. 3-4 more very good years seems like a very realistic goal.

92 is entering his prime. 20 is in his prime.

43, 18, 13, 65 are all maturing or about to enter their primes.

That doesn’t cover 63, 72, 79, etc. Plus we still have 10 and 25, both of which are same age as 92. So..... that’s 14 forwards, only 4 of which are older than 26 years old. I’m not counting 17 yet (Dowd), at all. He’s older...but hardly a need.

10 of our 14 forwards are 26 and under.

Not worried

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I get the feeling that the caps management thinks the top 6 is set for the near future with backstrom, kuznetsov, ovechkin, Wilson, oshie, and vrana. With Eller locked up too, there's not really a need to draft any forwards in the first round. As for d, we need to allow them to grow into a replacement for niskanen. Our young goalies have been excellent trade fodder, so we might as well keep that cupboard stocked.

We don't need the breadman if vrana can pot 20 goals this season. Sure, it'd be nice, but i doubt he'd fit under the cap.
We do need Breadman cause we dont have a dynamic, speedy winger who can dictate the pace of the game and single-handedly win games. Ovi is Ovi, nobody debates he'd been very determined during cup run but he's no puck carrier on any line, Oshie is a warrior but he's slow. When you're in trouble at critical point of a game or even a season, you need that kind of talent to support your centers. Also, our offense sits on a rather primitive strategy: use bodies, hit opponents on the boards, pass on a blue line if you successfully get out of that free-for-all with the puck and hope for the tip in. From time to time they can skate cycles if the opposition is less skilled and smaller in size. Otherwise, we were excellent at converting on quick rushes and PP. To me our 5 on 5 offense in the playoffs was underwhelming. Broken plays, rebounds, loose pucks - all that were going our way (finally) but you have to look at the picture closely and see that the Caps have obvious holes in their game. If they want to go back to back, Panarin would be the difference maker in case the luck is not on our side.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Moving only Burakovsky for Panarin wouldn’t clear enough space to sign him to an extension. It would have to be Oshie and I don’t think Caps management would consider that.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
EK is pretty much a Bolt barring some unexpected turn of events, this ship has sailed.
Based on the Shawn Simpson rumor? That was "done", awaiting approval from the league a few days ago. It doesn't take the league a few days to approve a deal, it takes a few hours. Color me skeptical it was anywhere close to done. Maybe EK's agent trying to drum up action?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I’m not really into making any large moves. I simply don’t think it’s necesary, and I worry it will do more harm than good.

Caps aren’t exactly “old” at forward. Sure, 8,19,77 are over 30 yrs old, but it’s the early stages of that. 3-4 more very good years seems like a very realistic goal.

92 is entering his prime. 20 is in his prime.

43, 18, 13, 65 are all maturing or about to enter their primes.

That doesn’t cover 63, 72, 79, etc. Plus we still have 10 and 25, both of which are same age as 92. So..... that’s 14 forwards, only 4 of which are older than 26 years old. I’m not counting 17 yet (Dowd), at all. He’s older...but hardly a need.

10 of our 14 forwards are 26 and under.

Not worried
The only thing that worries me is that some of our young guys might not be NHL calibre players. We really dont have a lot of forward prospects.
I'm not sold on Gersisch or Walker.

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
I’d wager they draft so many defensemen because the impact forwards (at least by their own definition) are largely gone by the time they draft. Perhaps it’s a case of BPA/ simply seeng greater upside with the defensive players.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Moving only Burakovsky for Panarin wouldn’t clear enough space to sign him to an extension. It would have to be Oshie and I don’t think Caps management would consider that.
It would clear 3 mil this season and next season Caps will have money to work with based on growing cap limit and some expiring contracts. Yes, most of those contracts are not much more than league minimum or ELCs but again they WILL have the money to work with to re-sign Panarin even if the main roster piece coming other way is Burakovsky

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Based on the Shawn Simpson rumor? That was "done", awaiting approval from the league a few days ago. It doesn't take the league a few days to approve a deal, it takes a few hours. Color me skeptical it was anywhere close to done. Maybe EK's agent trying to drum up action?
Based on many rumblings around the league. There was a tweet in which a some guy said he has a source in Ott media and that source is pretty sure the deal with Tampa is close to done they're just seeking for a third party to take cap dumps (Ryan/Callahan). Also apparently Karllson subscribed to Stamkos insta page. I get that it could not be related to the trade but I also dont believe Karlsson decided to sub to Stamkos in late June just like that while all those rumors flying around.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
It would clear 3 mil this season and next season Caps will have money to work with based on growing cap limit and some expiring contracts. Yes, most of those contracts are not much more than league minimum or ELCs but again they WILL have the money to work with to re-sign Panarin even if the main roster piece coming other way is Burakovsky
Top heavy teams struggle to win the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese