Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
My favorite part of that hitting montage that @RandyHolt posted was Wilson drilling Carpenter into the Caps bench. Stephenson flinches and ducks away (as do several other guys). But Ovechkin stays still and starts shouting directly at Carpenter. :biglaugh:

why are you trying to prove he didnt hit anyone when the stats say he was one of the main hitters in the series?
I mean, Troy Brouwer was one of the "main hitters" in the NHL during his time in Washington. Can you remember a single one of those hits that made an actual difference? I'm not actually sure where this Orpik hitting debate is coming from, I'm just pointing out that hitting stats don't really mean a whole lot. They're subjective and rarely correspond to much impact on the game.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
why are you trying to prove he didnt hit anyone when the stats say he was one of the main hitters in the series?

I have already shared the reason. Know that I refuse to fall victim to the Troy Brouwer Hit Logging Syndrome.

I noticed a lack of Orpik RH Grade NHL hits during the series, and after watching all the big hits from the finals, saw nothing to suggest otherwise.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I mean, Troy Brouwer was one of the "main hitters" in the NHL during his time in Washington. Can you remember a single one of those hits that made an actual difference? I'm not actually sure where this Orpik hitting debate is coming from, I'm just pointing out that hitting stats don't really mean a whole lot. They're subjective and rarely correspond to much impact on the game.

Your point stands but didn't Brouwer injure an Islander in their playoff series in 2015 with a clean hit?

Also with regards to Orpik and hitting in the final, I submit to you these two plays that he made that seem just a tad bit more important to me:

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I recall quite a few heavy hits by Orpik throughout the finals...maybe we should rewatch the games?...

Definitely got his bell rung and might have had a concussion but even still he didn't shy sway from anything physical. It's the finals man, they would have had to slash his arm off to keep a vet like that from lacing them up.

Nice avatar..

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Jun 15, 2007
Ugh. Trotz must have saved Korn's life or something. How does a guy go from semi retirement to NYI?

I don't think it's about the money.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ugh. Trotz must have saved Korn's life or something. How does a guy go from semi retirement to NYI?

Why not?

One can do many things for a friend. It's totally normal. Also, working is not that bad if you can still do your job.

Sep 19, 2008
Biggest fear of Trotz leaving was him taking guys with him. he already took Lambert and perhaps Korn too.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Trotz can install his tried and true (stale) system with lambert on Long Island. While Todd R. got the keys to the Washington kingdom...

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

seems random, wonder if he looking for another job, like the caps? he was the d coach for canes

Hurricanes as an assistant coach and was responsible for the team’s defensemen and penalty kill

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomppav

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018

I know you don't think it is about $$, but I think thats what it is. NYI owners mandate is to pay premium for hockey ops going forward.

Is he really that close to Trotz?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I know you don't think it is about $$, but I think thats what it is. NYI owners mandate is to pay premium for hockey ops going forward.

Is he really that close to Trotz?

yeah your telling me if your korn you wont take free money to relax in florida all year and then come to long island for a week or two?

Tomppav

Aug 14, 2002
Tampere, Finland

seems random, wonder if he looking for another job, like the caps? he was the d coach for canes

Or maybe he resigned because he already has made an agreement with Caps to join Reirden's team? He coached the D and was responsible for the penalty kill unit. I dunno how Canes PK played, were they any good?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad