Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Annoyed sure, but not offended.

again:

Umbrage:

take offense, take exception, be aggrieved, be affronted, be annoyed, be angry, be indignant, be put out, be insulted, be hurt, be piqued, be resentful, be disgruntled, go into a huff, be miffed, have one's nose put out of joint, chafe
"I would take umbrage at that if I thought you were serious"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Now you are just arguing for the sake of it. I'm moving on.

Jun 15, 2007
again:

Umbrage:

take offense, take exception, be aggrieved, be affronted, be annoyed, be angry, be indignant, be put out, be insulted, be hurt, be piqued, be resentful, be disgruntled, go into a huff, be miffed, have one's nose put out of joint, chafe
"I would take umbrage at that if I thought you were serious"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Now you are just arguing for the sake of it. I'm moving on.

Come on. It's a very common thought process that when someone is being told that they take umbrage to something they are offended.

Thats very much how *almost everyone* (or actually....everyone?) looks at that commentary. If you are saying otherwise, then you will be like the only person I know to ever make that argument.

So...people assume your comments re:umbrage mean the they were offended. So of course, we all take umbrage to it.

I hope that all makes sense.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Oh fearless leader!!!!:spud::bow::yo:

You know how lame 99 was? he required a full time body guard.

Full time, and even on his line, yeah it was that bad. He probably needed a body guard on the PP too. Wasted cap space, wasted roster spot. And of course, let's not get into the whole padded stats things, playing with Messier Kurri Coffey and friends.

RIP Dave Semenko. Affectionately known as Cement Head IIRC.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Come on. It's a very common thought process that when someone is being told that they take umbrage to something they are offended.

Thats very much how *almost everyone* (or actually....everyone?) looks at that commentary. If you are saying otherwise, then you will be like the only person I know to ever make that argument.

So...people assume your comments re:umbrage mean the they were offended. So of course, we all take umbrage to it.

I hope that all makes sense.

Try and have a good day bud. Seems like maybe you could use one. I'm not going further with this crap.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Re. Ovie's all-time goal-scoring rank

I've seen a few articles that report on goals scored adjusted for the era, and Ovie is up there if not at the top. A quick search did not find data current, but a few within the past 3 years or so. Here's part of one written in Oct '17:

Where does Ovechkin rank in all of history? In absolute terms, he may be the 43rd player to reach 500 career goals, but once adjusted for the different scoring levels of each era, he already has earned a spot in the top 20. ///

A look at peak scoring suggests Ovechkin's ranking is even higher, and arguably second only to Brett Hull. In this case, peak scoring is defined as every player's best three consecutive seasons, adjusted for era.

At his peak, from ages 22 through 24, Ovechkin scored 171 goals from 2007-08 to 2009-10, equivalent to 164 goals at today's scoring levels. Since the 1967-68 season, only Hull, who scored 228 goals between 1989-90 and 1991-92, which adjusts to 172 goals by today's standard, had a higher peak scoring rate than Ovechkin.

Peak Three-Season Era-Adjusted Goal Scoring, 1967-68 to 2015-16
Player Career Era-Adjusted Goals Peak Scoring
Brett Hull 625 172
Alex Ovechkin 483 164
Wayne Gretzky 644 164
Steven Stamkos 287 153
Phil Esposito 485 152
Mario Lemieux 535 150
Pavel Bure 394 148
Teemu Selanne 634 146
John LeClair 378 141
Peter Bondra 461 138

Analytics say Ovechkin one of top goal-scorers ever

Another article:

I write at least one “Alex Ovechkin is incredible” post per season. This season’s has come early.

Who is the best goal-scorer of all-time? The easy answer is the guy with the most goals: Wayne Gretzky.

So let’s change the question to: Who had the best goal-scoring season of all-time?

Again, the easy answer is the guy who holds the record for most goals in a season: Wayne Gretzky with 92 goals in 1981-82. But what if I told you that the era-adjusted numbers suggest Gretzky’s historic and seemingly unbeatable 92-goal season barely even cracks the Top 5 all-time?

This leads to a typical hockey argument today: If you gave Alexander Ovechkin a time machine, how many goals would he score in a different era?

Most hockey fans have probably been in a conversation where someone said something to the effect of “Well, everybody scored goals in the 1980s.”

They’re not kidding. Last season, NHL teams averaged 227 goals for and 227 against, or about 5.5 goals per game. When Gretzky scored 92 goals in the 1981-82 season, teams averaged over eight goals per game.

This is what hockey-reference’s, era-adjusted numbers are for. Goals are harder to score in today’s NHL, so in that sense, they mean more. This makes Ovechkin’s ridiculous nine goals in seven games to start the season just that much more impressive.

So let’s see what the numbers say.

What are the Top 10 era-adjusted single-seasons for goals scored?
Era Adjusted: Greatest NHL goal-scoring seasons of all-time

Brett Hull 1990-91 86 goals 78 adjusted goals
Alex Ovechkin 2007-08 65 goals 72 adjusted goals
Mario Lemieux 1988-89 85 goals 71 adjusted goals
Phil Esposito 1970-71 76 goals 70 adjusted goals

[note: the reply function is a bit wonky for me, couldn't insert the full graphic for adjusted goals so typed in the top 4

That’s right: when adjusting for era, Alex Ovechkin’s 2007-08 is the second-best, goal-scoring season in NHL history.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
You too. Any disagreements as to why we won is surely better than a disagreement about why we lost.

Reading the Trouba and Panarin or Karlsson threads on those respective boards...yikes.

Agreed on that front. 100%

Also try to stay away from the mains with regard too ANY Leaf thread. It's impossible.

I guess I didnt realize that the Tavares signing made them the odds on favourite to win the next 5 Cups, and that they now boast not only the best forward groups, but a better defense group than the past 3 Cup winners, a top notch G, and oodles of cap space to sign anyone they want. (The Presidents Cup is a foregone conclusion as well)

Be forewarned. Very Forwarned

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
For career numbers it's difficult to normalize scoring across eras because year by year scoring averages change, so I wrote a spreadsheet that multiplies the games played per season by the average goals per game that season, and divide the number of goals that player scored by that number. The idea is to get the percentage of expected goals in games played by that player scored by that player. By that measure Ovechkin has scored 10.6% of the expected goals scored in his games played. Easy way to think of it is he averages 0.6 gpg when scoring is under 6 total goals per game, it's the same as averaging 0.8 gpg when scoring was under 8 goals per game in the 1980s.

All time leaders in my made up statistic
  1. Mario Lemieux 11%
  2. Alex Ovechkin 10.6%
  3. Mike Bossy 10.1%
  4. Maurice Richard 9.7%
  5. Bobby Hull 9.7%
  6. Brett Hull 9.4%
  7. Teemu Selanne 8.8%
  8. Phil Esposito 8.8%
  9. Wayne Gretzky 8.6%
  10. Jaromir Jagr 8.6%
Gunning for that Caps bling...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

I've seen a few articles that report on goals scored adjusted for the era, and Ovie is up there if not at the top. ....

Post of the day, and winner of the @VaCaps Fan fully endorsed Ebay only throwback medallion. Honorable Mention @Silky mitts

Don't forget about the $50 shipping fee on your dime.

Joking aside, great post, and it pretty much supports what we have all seen. The dude is a goal scoring machine close to unlike any we have ever seen. It makes sense that Brett Hull is his peer.

We saw Maruk. Carpenter - fiddy. Even Valentine got 40. None ever struck me as a goal scoring machine.

It's damn deserving that he got his cup. It would be a near crime if he didn't.

Last edited:

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Post of the day, and winner of the @VaCaps Fan fully endorsed Ebay only throwback medallion. Honorable Mention @Silky mitts

Don't forget about the $50 shipping fee on your dime.

Joking aside, great post, and it pretty supports what we have all seen. The dude is a goal scoring machine close to unlike any we have ever seen. It makes sense that Brett Hull is his peer.

We saw Maruk. Carpenter - fiddy. Even Valentine got 40. None ever struck me as a goal scoring machine.

It's damn deserving that he got his cup. It would be a near crime if he didn't.

Only $50 for shipping! Cheap at half the price!

Anyway, I thought it was neat that Bondra was #10 in the guy's ranking of top three consecutive goal-scoring seasons.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Only $50 for shipping! Cheap at half the price!

Anyway, I thought it was neat that Bondra was #10 in the guy's ranking of top three consecutive goal-scoring seasons.

Thanks for pointing that out. I glossed over it. Bondra, yep - we all saw that we had a proper goal scorer in our sights.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
If you somehow inferred that from what I said, the issue is with you, not me.

I used exactly the words I meant to use.

The Caps have iced a good team for an entire decade now. The fact that this one won and others lost was just luck.I'm not even going to argue that point with you, since as I said earlier, it's been discussed by philosophers and historians for thousands of years without any progress.

Please tell me how you came to the conclusion that I don't think they earned this win or that I'm not enjoying it.

Seriously if teams win or lose by luck why watch? Why not just role some dice to see who wins

Disregard just finished the thread and don’t want to start this back up again....sorry

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
You'd rather people sit back and say nothing when silly comments are made? That would be LUCKY for the originators of the comments, and would be seen as acceptance? Perhaps that makes sense.

Everyone with the brain and sports experience knows Caps won because of skill and hard work (in many areas). And luck goes naturally with those.

Why worry about someone arguing that?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Back to the topic. I have a plan for Jarmo. Doesnt sell Panarin, waits for deadline. Prorated salary is much less so more teams can trade for him. Naturally bidding war starts and then he's pure rental.

Caps will have enough space, picks and Bura!!! :)))

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
How on earth is saying that they were lucky this year and unlucky other years the same thing as saying they didn't earn it or that I'm not enjoying the cup win?

Pretty big reach.

Saying they were lucky can be taken as they were undeserving. You have to get some bounces to win. You have to stay healthy. You have to be good enough to win for a good bounce to help you win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad