Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
It isn't nonsense. And Why bring up the Hart trophy? Did Panarin win it? Nope. I dont understand the fascination with high skilled players that dont give a full effort in all parts of the game. Its a team game. Why can't you get that in your head?
Tortorella is of the completely different opinion on Panarin. I'm leaning towards what he says on his efforts.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The most valuable skill in the NHL is to create situations for scoring goals by yourself or teammate. Thats why people who do that best are paid as best.
You just said the most valuable skill in the NHL is to create scoring chances BY YOURSELF.
That is the exact opposite of the way this game should be played. This is a team game. You win ass a team, you lose as a team. That statement was all about selfishness. Unbelievable.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
You just said the most valuable skill in the NHL is to create scoring chances BY YOURSELF.
That is the exact opposite of the way this game should be played. This is a team game. You win ass a team, you lose as a team. That statement was all about selfishness. Unbelievable.
When you yourself create a scoring chance it could be either for you or a teammate. What is unbelievable about it?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Tortorella is of the completely different opinion on Panarin. I'm leaning towards what he says on his efforts.
Have you ever seen him play? BTW Trotz said good things about Burakovsky that weren't true.
Speaking of Trotz, I noticed you still have a pic of him for your avatar. Are you trying to dishonor him?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Ovechkin is one of the greatest scorers of all time but he's not close to Panarin when it comes to puck possession and controlling the pace of a game. Panarin is also a superior playmaker and when you have those not just among centers the opponent would be basically without the puck.
Ever think that maybe Panarin only controls the pace of his line and possesses the puck so much because he's essentially the only player on that line? He played on a line with a 20 year old and Cam Atkinson.

In Chicago he did not have this MO, his line mates there were far more competent.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Good riddance

Shooting ability and goal-scoring I consider as things of same nature tho not the same completely. Everything else - I didnt say Ovechkin is dumb or cant pass. I said Panarin on another level on those aspects. Also Panarin plays without centers while Ovi plays with two elite centers. Thats a gigantic differense but the gap in points almost non existent.

You are seeing what you want to see.

Go post a poll on the mains about this. See what happens

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Ever think that maybe Panarin only controls the pace of his line and possesses the puck so much because he's essentially the only player on that line? He played on a line with a 20 year old and Cam Atkinson.

In Chicago he did not have this MO, his line mates there were far more competent.
The way you're going with this I dont see the point in arguing. Everybody would make a God look bad here if he's compared to Ovechkin, let alone a hockey player. Not interested in 'Yeah but the player X is shit, dont mention him and Ovechkin in one sentence' convos.
You said by yourself. That's what is unbelievable. You really dont understand the team concept thing. Individual skill is not the most important thing in the NHL. Team work is. The skill is a bonus.
How generous of you to explain this to me. Thanks for your time. You kinda look like those guys who were trying to tell me how many awards and goals Ovechkin has and how incomparable he is.

Last edited:

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The way you're going with this I dont see the point in arguing. Everybody would make a God look bad here if he's compared to Ovechkin, let alone a hockey player. Not interested in 'Yeah but the player X is ****, dont mention him and Ovechkin in one sentence' convos.
I don't think this was my argument at all. I'm basing everything I'm saying on statistical evidence.

My point was his possession stats significant kicked up when he came to CBJ whereas his other stats remained the same, this tells me the argument of him being a higher level possession player is at the very least partially the result of him having little help on his line. In CHI it was an even level work load, in CBJ Panarin is a top line winger on a team void of a lot of realized talent, he is expected to carry the water more. Comparing him to Ovechkin who is on a Cup winning team is apples and oranges. Frankly, we don't know how Ovechkin stacks up to him in a lot of senses because Ovechkin hasn't needed to try it, Panarin on the other hand has had no choice.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
FYI Da Beauty League kicked off tonight.

Caps have 4 players:

Gersich, Boyd, Ness, and Dowd.

Boyd is on Team Velocity, Ness and Dowd are on RBC, and Gersich is on Walser. I'm not sure if these are the updated rosters as the league started today. You can watch all the games via live stream on their site, the seem to play once a week, start at about 6:45 and run three games consecutively.

Jun 15, 2007
@RandyHolt

Best feed I could find of the entire cup handing thing.

General trend does seem to be from most important player to least important with the extremely notable exception of Kuznetsov who gets it way too late.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
FYI Da Beauty League kicked off tonight.

I posted all the related links in the NHL thread if anyone needs them.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/148100563/

Watched all three games last night, Gersich is insanely fast, only player that could keep up with him was Nick Leddy. He tried a ton of fancy moves that didn't work but I love that he was trying them.

Jason Zucker was out there playing, I can not believe he isn't signed (RFA) yet, very underrated player.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
what_did_i_just_read__by_devgrah2857-d883qf2.gif

For one thing, Panarin very rarely ever starts in the d-zone. His 3 year numbers are 23%, 18%, and 35%. He's always had a leg up, if you buy into zone starts.

Second, he's 26. When Ovie was 26 he was being bogged down by crappy and/or defensive coaches for a few years, and STILL scored as much or more than Panarin has.

In fact, Ovechkin's worst goalscoring year--32 goals--is better than Panarin's best. And Ovie did it in 48 games, under Adam Oates.

And consider this...if Ovechkin is on the team to score and nobody can stop him why should he change what he's doing? Maybe he appears to be limited as a playmaker or dangler these days because he really hasn't had to diversify his approach all that much. How far would Kareem Abdul Jabbar have gotten in his career if he'd listened to people telling him "hey, all you do is sky-hook, why don't you take the high post and drive the lane more, or shoot 3s?"

Even so, Ovie in his early 20s was a dynamo who was capable of anything Panarin can do, and he did it at top speed WHILE knocking you on your ass. I think this fact is lost on people who only see him as a PP turret and who, due to recency or other biases, only recall certain limited aspects of his career.

So yes, Ovechkin is better than some 3rd year guy who we beat in the first round. He was at 26 and he is now, even if he doesn't display the same motor or have the same role.

bags92

Jan 2, 2010
Rochester, New York
So do we see 90-100 pt Kuzy next year? Lot of confidence to be found when you completely dominate the stanley cup playoffs the way he did. Wondering if we see that level of play continue into the regular season.

I think we might even seen him go north of 100. Consistency is key, but he's certainly capable of leading the league in scoring.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Jun 15, 2007
Kuznetsov has the potential to be the best player in the world not named McDavid. And signed for a bargain of a contract.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
There's a make a trade within your own team thread in the trade rumors message board. I did Kuznetsov for Carlson + Vrana and I think I'd take Kuzy in that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad