Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
There's a make a trade within your own team thread in the trade rumors message board. I did Kuznetsov for Carlson + Vrana and I think I'd take Kuzy in that deal.

Kuznetsov by a lot. Single most valuable trade piece on this team by far considering age, performance, contract, etc.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Right. I know he was in Hershey but I would have liked to see a coach with NHL experience, or an AHL coach that was on a successful team at least.

well he was on a sucessful hershey team his first year lol
but the point is there is no need to bring in someone who these young guys havent seen. they are developing well with cashman, see what happens in the nhl. they probably will get an associate head coach soon

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
but the point is there is no need to bring in someone who these young guys havent seen. they are developing well with cashman, see what happens in the nhl. they probably will get an associate head coach soon
I thought he was only the assistant coach for the last two years in Hershey which would mean he was not an assistant coach when they went to the Calder Cup Finals.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I thought he was only the assistant coach for the last two years in Hershey which would means he was not an assistant coach when they went to the Calder Cup Finals.

but the first year they won 43 games and whether or not he had anything to do with it, djoos went from 8g/14a with someone else to 13g/45a with cashman

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

the caps need someone who will come in and basically be the yes guy. rierden knows the defense, its his defense. hes gonna run it the reirden way so it really doesnt matter who gets the title, you dont think reirden is gonna be heavily involved in the defense? what guy with nhl experience is gonna come in to a place where its known that its reirden defense and they will do it his way?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’m not worried who the rest of the coaches are. GMBM said he wanted to try and find someone with a lot of experience. He doesn’t pull punches. So if they can get one, they will.

And this news should also “Officially” end the Orpik as D coach talk. Yes?

Reactions: searle

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'd also rather see someone with NHL experience. Going from the AHL to the NHL is a big jump for players and coaches.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'd also rather see someone with NHL experience. Going from the AHL to the NHL is a big jump for players and coaches.
There's 3 Head Coaches (Philadelphia, Dallas, New York Rangers) in the NHL that came directly from the college ranks. Appears teams are finally getting over the old stand by of recycling coaches i.e. Hitchcock, Lindy Ruff. The game's changing, experience is no longer the only measure of a coach.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
" At Quinnipiac, he spent four years as an assistant coach, and two as an associate head coach, leading the Bobcats to the Frozen Four in 2012-13 and 2014-15. "

Good enough for me. :thumbu:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Cause ya know, puck in the net means caps win
No it doesnt mean that at all. You also have to keep the puck out of your own net. So what if you can score 4 goals a game if you bare giving up 5.
I'll remind you that the Caps won the Cup because they played a strong defensive game throughout the playoffs. If you remember the regular season the Caps were very inconsistent. Especially in the defensive zone. If we continued playing that system we would have won absolutely nothing.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No it doesnt mean that at all. You also have to keep the puck out of your own net. So what if you can score 4 goals a game if you bare giving up 5.
I'll remind you that the Caps won the Cup because they played a strong defensive game throughout the playoffs. If you remember the regular season the Caps were very inconsistent. Especially in the defensive zone. If we continued playing that system we would have won absolutely nothing.

The same goes for every team. You're forgetting that everyone is on the same level sheet of ice in that regard. Everyone has to score and play defense, it's just a matter of who does both better WHILE scoring more. You still have to score more than the other guy, no matter how good you are on defense. Everyone faces this problem.

Other than the popularization of the trap in the mid-90s and the explosion in goalie equipment size/techniques later it's never been about defense. Advancements in defense are always reactions to problems created by the opponent having too much offense.

You try to find ways to break the defense with offense and not let in more than you score. That's it. Everyone in the league knows every game can't be 1-0 or a 0-0 shootout, so you don't waste your time trying to achieve that. You try to score as much as possible and force the other guy to stop you. He's doing the same thing.

Do you understand? It's not a race to zero goals. It's a race to as many goals as possible, with damage control. IN THEORY. In practice there are coaches who will preach defense and sit on a one goal lead no matter how many times they blow it.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The same goes for every team. You're forgetting that everyone is on the same level sheet of ice in that regard. Everyone has to score and play defense, it's just a matter of who does both better WHILE scoring more. You still have to score more than the other guy, no matter how good you are on defense. Everyone faces this problem.

Other than the popularization of the trap in the mid-90s and the explosion in goalie equipment size/techniques later it's never been about defense. Advancements in defense are always reactions to problems created by the opponent having too much offense.

You try to find ways to break the defense with offense and not let in more than you score. That's it. Everyone in the league knows every game can't be 1-0 or a 0-0 shootout, so you don't waste your time trying to achieve that. You try to score as much as possible and force the other guy to stop you. He's doing the same thing.

Do you understand? It's not a race to zero goals. It's a race to as many goals as possible, with damage control. IN THEORY. In practice there are coaches who will preach defense and sit on a one goal lead no matter how many times they blow it.
Are you kidding? The game is more about defensive responsibilities than it was in the past. Did you forget that the 80s and 90s they didnt play defense. The Devils started the team defensive system in the 90s and it was successful. It caught on to the rest of the league. Maybe you forgot but scoring is way down in the NHL because of the defensive systems that all teams use. The league had to make rule changes to try to increase scoring.
Like I said the Caps used a defense first system in the playoffs to win the cup. If they bdidnt they would have been eliminated in the first round.
Its a good thing you guys aren't players. Most of you would be uncoachable.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
@maacoshark:

91sn32Q.jpg

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

Ridiculous -- you're just pushing a mindless narrative.

It's absurd to highlight defense as the difference maker in this SC win. Defense was fine in the previous years under Trotz, too, it's the offense that kept going dry in the playoffs. But not this year -- Wilson and Vrana transformed the top-6, stars scored, depth guys scored, everybody scored. Just for illustration, their playoffs' GF/G was basically a ridiculous +1 (per game!) better than in the previous two years, while the defense GA/G was marginally better than last year's and actually significantly worse than 2 years ago.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Are you kidding? The game is more about defensive responsibilities than it was in the past. Did you forget that the 80s and 90s they didnt play defense. The Devils started the team defensive system in the 90s and it was successful. It caught on to the rest of the league. Maybe you forgot but scoring is way down in the NHL because of the defensive systems that all teams use. The league had to make rule changes to try to increase scoring.
Like I said the Caps used a defense first system in the playoffs to win the cup. If they bdidnt they would have been eliminated in the first round.
Its a good thing you guys aren't players. Most of you would be uncoachable.

Ah the 'holier than thou' attitude strikes again. Great thing you're not a coach either, you'd be a horrendous one at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad