Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
@maacoshark:

91sn32Q.jpg

Maaco and Grandpa Simpson...two of a dying breed....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Are you kidding? The game is more about defensive responsibilities than it was in the past. Did you forget that the 80s and 90s they didnt play defense. The Devils started the team defensive system in the 90s and it was successful. It caught on to the rest of the league. Maybe you forgot but scoring is way down in the NHL because of the defensive systems that all teams use. The league had to make rule changes to try to increase scoring.
Like I said the Caps used a defense first system in the playoffs to win the cup. If they bdidnt they would have been eliminated in the first round.
Its a good thing you guys aren't players. Most of you would be uncoachable.

You don’t have many friends do you?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I love when we revise history.

The Capitals played defense, and likely would have lost had they not, but without unprecedented (for this team) offensive contribution it would have been the same flame out anyway.

Kuznetsov and Carlson didn't look like men on a mission because their defense got better. The team would have lost a few times over if Eller hadn't been able to spot-replace Backstrom's offense. They may not win if DSP wasn't there to match an entire year's worth of offensive contributions in a few weeks. Guy hustled and played D all year, but it was the offense that mattered most.

No surprise that a certain somebody would rather reason with clouds than statistics.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Are you kidding? The game is more about defensive responsibilities than it was in the past. Did you forget that the 80s and 90s they didnt play defense. The Devils started the team defensive system in the 90s and it was successful. It caught on to the rest of the league. Maybe you forgot but scoring is way down in the NHL because of the defensive systems that all teams use. The league had to make rule changes to try to increase scoring.
Like I said the Caps used a defense first system in the playoffs to win the cup. If they bdidnt they would have been eliminated in the first round.
People asked me what the #1 reason the Caps won the Cup, I said they used to have one guy who could break a game open now they’ve got 2. Trap worked so well because they had 2 guys creating chances without having to break out. Game is as much about skill as I’ve ever seen. This was the 1st time in 9 years the champ didn’t have two top two picks but Kuzy played like one, teams that make trades with defense in mind give away Hall and Subban.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRicci09

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
People asked me what the #1 reason the Caps won the Cup, I said they used to have one guy who could break a game open now they’ve got 2. Trap worked so well because they had 2 guys creating chances without having to break out. Game is as much about skill as I’ve ever seen. This was the 1st time in 9 years the champ didn’t have two top two picks but Kuzy played like one, teams that make trades with defense in mind give away Hall and Subban.
Is that right?!? I don’t think so.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

:facepalm:

Did you even read what I wrote? The adjustments and improvements in defense are REACTIONS to offense, and they always will be, for the reasons I gave you.

I discussed the Devils in the mid-90s in this context. Again, it was a REACTION to the offense in the league. And as things like shot blocking, back checking, and neutral zone systems become more normalized in the toolbox of players around the league, so much so that it becomes a problem for scoring, it makes breakout offensive talent that much more valuable.

Do you see how your own argument collapses in on itself? omg

Reactions: Jags

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
How can we spend 40 million on new beer cup holders in the nose bleeds and hiring geriatric ice girls but can't pay coaches

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Ah the 'holier than thou' attitude strikes again. Great thing you're not a coach either, you'd be a horrendous one at that.
Actually I coached for several years in different sports. And I was fairly successful at it.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Ridiculous -- you're just pushing a mindless narrative.

It's absurd to highlight defense as the difference maker in this SC win. Defense was fine in the previous years under Trotz, too, it's the offense that kept going dry in the playoffs. But not this year -- Wilson and Vrana transformed the top-6, stars scored, depth guys scored, everybody scored. Just for illustration, their playoffs' GF/G was basically a ridiculous +1 (per game!) better than in the previous two years, while the defense GA/G was marginally better than last year's and actually significantly worse than 2 years ago.
Yes we played good enough defensively in past years to go further than we did. Unfortunately we couldn't buy a goal. Last year we were terrible defensively which was why we lost to the Pens.
This season everything came together. All of you guys keep harping about offense and scoring. Not sure what you guys have against playing responsible hockey. You can play good fundamental hockey or use a trap and still generate offense. The Caps did that in these playoffs. Quite often an offensive opportunity is started from a defensive play. A perfect example was the GWG against the Pens. What is wrong with that?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Is that right?!? I don’t think so.
I think it is supposed to be top 3 picks.

Penguins - Crosby, Malkin, Fleury - 1,2,1
Blackhawks - Kane, Toews - 1,3
Kings - Doughty, Gaborik - 2,3
Kings - Doughty, ? (might be including Jack Johnson here, but he was traded for Jeff Carter at that deadline) - 2,?3
Bruins - Seguin, Horton - 2,3

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

Kings - Doughty, ? (might be including Jack Johnson here, but he was traded for Jeff Carter at that deadline) - 2,?3
I think I saw that stat after I saw 1 top 2 pick stat and combined them

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
You can play good fundamental hockey or use a trap and still generate offense. The Caps did that in these playoffs. Quite often an offensive opportunity is started from a defensive play. A perfect example was the GWG against the Pens. What is wrong with that?

Nothing. The disconnect here is that you seem to think that potent offense has to come at the expense of responsible defense. So when folks here clamor for more offense, your reaction is something akin to, "What about DEFENSE??? What do you have against defense???" And then you follow that with a condescending dissertation on the importance of defense.

Finding another gear on offense doesn't have to cost you anything defensively. It's not one or the other.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Actually I coached for several years in different sports. And I was fairly successful at it.

If that were true, you'd be in the NHL coaching and not on a message board posting nonsensical rants just like the rest of us minions.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Since his NHL salary is league minimum I guess they were just negotiating his AHL salary. Don't see that figure anywhere on Twitter so far.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

My bad 9 straight champs with 1 top 2 pick going back to 07-08 Red Wings

I think I saw that stat after I saw 1 top 2 pick stat and combined them

Either way, that’s absolutely nuts. And makes the Caps achievement even more impressive IMO.

P.S. f*** the Pens and the favoritism of the NHL.

P.P.S Edmonton... all those top picks and ugh. how??? why???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino