Confirmed with Link: Caps claim Urbom

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
So... Urbom and Carrick on Saturday? They have, what, 16 games of experience between the 2? Or do they sit Carrick and let Olesky play with the new guy?

Scary thought...but I think they have to play Carrick again. He looked better, he scored a goal and it seems like the coaches really like the kid. I don't know much about Urbom but with a couple of seasons in AHL under him I'm going to say he's probably every bit as much of a liability as Oleksy is on the ice so let's see what he can do.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I guess they could also go Urbom-Carlson and Erskine-Carrick. Not sure what I think about that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the caps have 5 days off after dallas. my guess is that urbom watches the game in dallas which gives oleksy a chance to get in a game. then urbom gets a full week and many practices to learn oates game before stepping in.

the 5 days off is good timing.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
the caps have 5 days off after dallas. my guess is that urbom watches the game in dallas which gives oleksy a chance to get in a game. then urbom gets a full week and many practices to learn oates game before stepping in.

Doesn't Urbom know the system from his time with Oates in NJ?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Scary thought...but I think they have to play Carrick again. He looked better, he scored a goal and it seems like the coaches really like the kid. I don't know much about Urbom but with a couple of seasons in AHL under him I'm going to say he's probably every bit as much of a liability as Oleksy is on the ice so let's see what he can do.

I almost lost my **** laughing because he was cherry picking so hard. Still have to get used to defensemen leading the rush (Alzner? hehehe).

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Swedish friends: what (if anything) does "bom" mean?

grindar-bommar-top.jpg

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Oates is using an almost identical defensive system to what New Jersey uses. Urbom shouldn't need that long to become familiar enough to play at a reasonable level.

More to the point, with Hillen injured, someone has to play 3LD.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
If Carrick can play with Hillen than Carrick can play with Urbom. Hillen is not exactly a defensive rock for Carrick to rely upon and his injury should have no impact on whether Carrick plays or not.

If Oates trusts Urbom to jump immediatly into the lineup with limited time with the team, than he plays. If Oates feels Urbom needs a couple practises to get comfortable with his new teammates that Oleksy will fill in.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I would stick Urbom right at 2LD. Heck, we had sarge at 1LD forever. But Erskine is off to a somewhat shaky start, and maybe easing his load and at the same time, riding the Boms adrenaline could work. We are all about winning 5-4 anyways. See what he is made of. We tossed Carrick to the wolves why not him. And of course, to break up the noobs.

Alz Green | Urbs Carl | Ersk Carrick

Ain't happening, I know. Oates does not like changes. I am not sure the last time I have seen 4 RH D dressed. Oleksy sits until Carrick sits IMO.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
You know when he scores from the blue line we'll be doing our best John Sterling impression of "An A-Bomb from Urbom".

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Urbom and Oleksy in tonight

Interesting that Carrick is out though.

Adam Vingan ‏@AdamVingan 1m
Looks like Oleksy is in for Carrick, Latta for Beagle, Holtby to start. #Caps

Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera 2m
Looks like Alex Urbom will be paired with Steve Oleksy in his #Caps debut.

You can never have enough Vikings. I hope the kid makes a splash and hits.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Urbom and Oleksy in tonight

Interesting that Carrick is out though.

You can never have enough Vikings. I hope the kid makes a splash and hits.

I would imagine its b/c of the age/rookie factor. Don't want two newbies on a team thats struggling in the back end as it is.

I'm excited to see him play.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I was kind of hoping Oates would throw him to the wolves, and pair him up with Carlson. Get a little bit more of a vet mentor. Ride the adrenaline high. He is no complete noob, he has some games under his belt.

Someone among the RD, one of these days, is going to have to mentoring duties.

Heck, I guess Oleksy is an old man on our blue :laugh: and does provide the toughness angle should Urbom get into trouble. I like that he did take fight lessons though. Why wouldn't an NHLer, even if they have no intentions to do so.

SlappaDaBass

May 7, 2012
I was hoping he would be paired with Carlson but maybe Oates is easing him into the starting role and if he plays well he'll replace Erskine on the 2nd pairing.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Brä.

He had one time he has caught up ice late but we were down a goal, so he may have been asked to pressure more to try to score.

He got into someones face in the crease, no huge hits but looked mobile, used the boards to get the puck out, no boneheaded turnovers. Good offensive awareness, took shots and passed the corner where he had open players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad