Confirmed with Link: Caps claim Urbom

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
All I gotta say about the move is its another person in front of Orlov which is bad.

McPhee made a bad signing and won't take out Erskine because it would require admitting it.

It's pretty apparent that there isn't a spot for Orlov on this team.
Trade him while he still has decent value.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
All I gotta say about the move is its another person in front of Orlov which is bad.

McPhee made a bad signing and won't take out Erskine because it would require admitting it.

The way Orlov played in the preseason we'd need to clear our whole D depth before he'd earn a chance again. He needs to work out his defensive game in the AHL and when he is ready they should slot him right into the 2nd pairing. Urbom will fit in well in the 3rd pairing because it can't be like it was against Chicago. Hillen and Carrick got bullied the whole game and they need someone to bring size into that pairing.

tmljeh19*

Obvious choice is Carrick. Just watching him on Chicago's first goal was rough. He just isn't strong enough to be up here yet. If Urbom is only to shore up the 3rd pairing it's still a great move.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Called for this yesterday, so needless to say that I'm pleased. Have wanted Urbom for a while, even proposing a Perreault for Urbom swap a couple years back. With the staff's reluctance to give Orlov a role, it really makes sense. Certainly seems like Orlov and Schilling are not in the organization's long term plans at this point.

Is there a period during which they can wait to add him to the roster or something? Otherwise obviously someone has to move out to clear a spot (and cap space). Latta to Hershey would clear up both, of course. I don't think Carrick makes quite enough to do it.
Only $550K is base salary, rest is bonuses that should be able to be applied to the cushion. Carrick alone should be enough, but having Urbom as a 3LD creates options for 3RD (Carrick or Kundratek or Oleksy or Hillen could all potentially gel with him).

This is exactly what you said would happen about a week ago :laugh:

The only thing I care about...can he skate?
Above average mobility, especially for his size. Should fit in just fine with Oates' system.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
People parroting stuff again.

He was paired with Oleksy and only had one goal against during his 5 games last year, WITH OLEKSY. Did I forget to mention he was playing with Oleksy?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Hillen does absolutely nothing for me.

I'd like to see Urbom-Oleksy or Urbom-Carlson

Alzner-Green
Urbom/Erskine-Carlson
Urbom/Erskine-Oleksy

Side note: I find it endlessly amusing that Oleksy still doesn't have a tsn.ca profile page.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Any relation to Jeff Beukurbom? JoeB is on it.

Big LD and fighting lessons? No brainer to grab him since we really have nothing to lose.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Any relation to Jeff Beukurbom? JoeB is on it.

Big LD and fighting lessons? No brainer to grab him since we really have nothing to lose.

He's only mildy tougher than Jeff Schultz. He's not a toughness add. He's willing to play the body, but he's not going to wow you with big hits.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Called for this yesterday, so needless to say that I'm pleased. Have wanted Urbom for a while, even proposing a Perreault for Urbom swap a couple years back. With the staff's reluctance to give Orlov a role, it really makes sense. Certainly seems like Orlov and Schilling are not in the organization's long term plans at this point.

Well, the team's effectively traded Perreault for Urbom and a 4th now.

Above average mobility, especially for his size. Should fit in just fine with Oates' system.

So he's Jeff Schultz?

For the folks who are hoping he can play 2nd pairing immediately, that would be great... but let's remember the kid has played all of 13 more NHL games than Connor Carrick. I'd say let him cut his teeth on the 3rd and Hillen and Erskine can platoon 2LD, and if/when Urbom is ready, he can step into the role.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So he's Jeff Schultz?
I know people are going to hate it, but it's not the worst comparisson in the world. Urbom has more upside, both offensively and physically, than Schultz, and hopefully develops better than Schultz did. But both are big, positional defensive LHD.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I know people are going to hate it, but it's not the worst comparisson in the world. Urbom has more upside, both offensively and physically, than Schultz, and hopefully develops better than Schultz did. But both are big, positional defensive LHD.

Well Schultz at one point was a legitimate NHL defenseman. Hopefully he develops better than Schultz. Maybe they can stick him with Mike Green and get a +50 season out of him :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->