Confirmed with Link: Caps claim Urbom

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
If the #8D in Jersey is our #4D...

To be fair, that was the best defense in the league last year if you go by shots or corsi/fenwick.

My question is, exactly how tall is this guy? I've seen 6'3, 6'4, and 6'5 at least twice each on various websites :laugh:

TheNuge

Jan 3, 2013
Man downie is dirty, punching while both combatants are down, this isn't UFC

goph94

Freezing
Mar 21, 2006
From all reports I've seen on Urbom, his skillset is precisely what the Caps have needed for a while. Sounds like he's a steady defensive-oriented blueliner with good 4-direction mobility and size to make things difficult for the enemy in the Caps' end. Straight line speed isn't as important for a Dman as is the requisite footspeed to provide the short-area quickness needed to stay with attackers below/around the goal line.

Plus, he's still only 22. His prospect reports all say he has shown flashes of additional offensive upside. On the whole, Dmen take longer to develop their games so I'm hoping for better things from Urbom down the line offensively. If not, he still projects to be a steady 3rd pairing defender, which is something all the other guys the Caps have trotted out have yet to shown any sort of consistency with.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Nice pickup -- sounds like a bottom pair upgrade with some top-4 potential. But not what we need at top-4, at least not any time soon, right? Otherwise it's really hard to believe Devils would let him go..

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They want him to get that role tonight without a single day of practice with his new team. WTF?!?!?!!?

I've become less likely to get so spun up over the years at some of the absurd fan notions...maybe I'm becoming numb to the constant insanity?

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
This seems to be a solid pick-up. I think we all may be a bit wishfull thinking to expect him to come be a top 4 guy, certainly anytime soon. But he should be able to push Hillen for the 3rd pair spot on the left side

I personally never knew of this kid prior to about 3 minutes ago. But he sounds a bit like Tom Poti to me. Just probably not as good.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Red Line ranking: 105.
One-liner: Some games he's the big dog, others the hydrant.

Powerfully built blue-liner with some real physical tools. Can play very physically when needed, pounding opposing forwards with heavy checks. Very strong and willing to do the dirty work in front of own net and around the boards. Can carry the puck and is not afraid of bringing it deep himself or joining the rush. Skates well for his size - powerful first step and above average speed, but a bit still in the hops on pivots, turns. Makes accurate passes but is not a real puck distributor.

Projection: #7 defenseman with physical presence.
Style compares to: Karel Rachunek.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Solid player can easily see him becoming a steady #5. A #4 on a bad team ( not wsh )

Just got lost in the numbers game in jersey. ( Gelinas and Merrill ) jumped over him on our chart.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Red Line ranking: 105.
One-liner: Some games he's the big dog, others the hydrant.

Powerfully built blue-liner with some real physical tools. Can play very physically when needed, pounding opposing forwards with heavy checks. Very strong and willing to do the dirty work in front of own net and around the boards. Can carry the puck and is not afraid of bringing it deep himself or joining the rush. Skates well for his size - powerful first step and above average speed, but a bit still in the hops on pivots, turns. Makes accurate passes but is not a real puck distributor.

Projection: #7 defenseman with physical presence.
Style compares to: Karel Rachunek.

Meh. That's less than thrilling.

Halpysback*

I feel like he could be a swedish Coburn if he develops properly.

Now if they only let Orlov find his footing...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad