Confirmed with Link: Caps claim Urbom

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
From what I've seen, it's more of an Alzner-type physicality than a big hit physicality.
He might clear the crease a bit more. Anyone that cleans out and fights Downie is solid in my books.

Fun fact: Urbom was selected one pick after Latta in the '09 draft.

Vladiator16*

It's been noted that Urbom can skate; something Jeff Schultz never really got the hang of.

Made me chuckle.

Dont know much about the guy, but based on that goal VS caps he is 10 times more creative then Double Nickel. Good pick up.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Interesting move. I hope he at least gets a "look" at 2LD.

I guess I'll go to Hershey to see Orlov.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Now ****ing Carlson is terrible according to you.

The one shift Erskine isn't on the ice with Carlson, Saad scores game winning goal.

You need to: 1. chill, 2. stop putting words in my mouth, 3. look at this objectively, and 4. see #'s 1 and 2.

I said Orlov-Carlson seems like a weak pairing in our defensive zone. Both Orlov and Carlson are good at moving the puck and creating offense from defense, but not great in the defensive zone. Carlson is prone to turnovers and losing his man in the defensive zone. Orlov is not a stay at home guy that will allow Carlson to jump into the play.

Orlov also prefers the right side while Oates wants him to learn the left side. Which part of this is incorrect? Which part of Orlov looked good a few years ago but after the concussion last year he struggled in Hershey, and then looked like ass in the defensive zone this preseason do you disagree with?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Erskine's position in the mind of many posters here is solidified now. he should lose his 2LD spot to a waiver claim.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe? I'm thinking it was more Oates though.
Yeah, though I'd think CalleJo at least shared his opinion as far as needing some help and/or additional options.

Quotes from Oates:
“He is a big, strong kid,†states Oates. “[He] skates good, uses his body well. And he fought [Montreal’s Brandon] Prust [in a preseason game] the other night. He’s got huge potential. I don’t think his offense has come out yet.

“He has upside potential, he’s big and he skates good. I really honestly feel that when our organization works with guys, I think we can make guys better. I want that to be our calling; I really and truly do.

“Here’s a kid who is not playing for New Jersey – they’ve got depth issues as well. If we can make him better, he upgrades us. There is no secret potion. If he upgrades, he plays. If he doesn’t, he doesn’t.â€
“I had a history with him, liked him and saw im available,†says Oates.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am excited to see Unborn, the replacement Sarge.

Maybe Hillen is the odd man out. Well, long after poor Orlov, of course. I am just not optimistic he sticks around for long. Add Schilling to the mix.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Erskine's position in the mind of many posters here is solidified now. he should lose his 2LD spot to a waiver claim.

That's harsh - but it may well be what management thinks as well, judging from this pick-up. There's clearly well-founded concern about our depth at LD.

I think people (me anyway) appreciate Erskine for his compete level, his willingness to play physical and have his teammates' back, his work ethic, and his ability to get the most of out his skill set. But there's also a recognition that his limitations (lack of mobility, discomfort with the puck on his stick, vulnerability vs a strong forecheck) are exposed when he's on the ice as a #4.

This pick-up suggests to me that management is not settled on Ersk as the #4. I'd expect both Erskine and Urbom to get time with Carlson depending upon the situation, as the brass try to sort this out.

I'd expect Urbom also to become a terrific vehicle for the board's bi-polarity - every good play he makes extolled and exalted by some, and every bad play he makes condemned as yet another piece of evidence in the indictment of GMGM. So we get that too.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
After converting Orlov to LD and bringing in Schmidt, the writing has been on the wall for Schilling. If he wants a serious crack at the NHL, it's going to be in another organization. With the defensive depth in Hershey, I wouldn't be shocked to see McPhee make a couple minor league trades in the next couple months. Guys like Schilling and Genoway for borderline forward prospects buried by organizational depth on other teams.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yeah, though I'd think CalleJo at least shared his opinion as far as needing some help and/or additional options.

Quotes from Oates:

Seems to me Oates and McPhee have struck again with the recurring trend of trying to get more physical players in the mix.

Sucks we had to send Latta down but I'm sure he will be back at some point. We needed more sandpaper on the backend so hopefully this kids pans out.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Hillen does absolutely nothing for me.

I'd like to see Urbom-Oleksy or Urbom-Carlson

Alzner-Green
Urbom/Erskine-Carlson
Urbom/Erskine-Oleksy

Side note: I find it endlessly amusing that Oleksy still doesn't have a tsn.ca profile page.

Not advocating for Hillien, but Erskine-Oleksy is like watching guys skate in mud. I like Urbom at 2LD, but I think you need some mobility opposite 4.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This has gotta kill the Orlov fans. Surely the Caps can trade this guy to a team who is willing to give him a fulltime shot?

Reading the Dev's fans posts, this might be a steal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad