Confirmed with Link: Capitals sign Justin Schultz to 2 year deal 4 Mil AAV

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You guys need to chill out about the Justin Schultz contract. It won’t make or break our Cup chances.

What will be critical is if Ovi and Nick still have it, if Wilson, Carlson and Oshie remain consistent, and if Kuzy + Vrana can get their head out of their asses.

The rest of it, I trust Laviolette to figure out on the go.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
The simple facts of the Schultz contact boil down to this:

Schultz is going to have to play well above his averages the past two seasons to make this a fair contract. He is going to have to revert to his peak to make this contract a fair deal. That by definition would mean we overpaid for what he has demonstrated recently.

I understand the wait and see approach and trust in BMac/Lavi, but again, we're having to hope/pray that he lives up to his deal. I feel like the 4 million could have been better used, that's what aggravates me about this deal.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Schultz is going to have to play well above his averages the past two seasons to make this a fair contract. He is going to have to revert to his peak to make this contract a fair deal. That by definition would mean we overpaid for what he has demonstrated recently.

I understand the wait and see approach and trust in BMac/Lavi, but again, we're having to hope/pray that he lives up to his deal. I feel like the 4 million could have been better used, that's what aggravates me about this deal.
Yes and no. If he returns to his peak that's a bargain at 4m, but he does have to improve to earn what he's being paid.

That said, to me this all turned to gravy after signing TVR. As far as my brain is concerned they got the combo for less than 5m and that's fine by me.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

wanna make sure I quote these “facts” for later verification....

so basically in your book, he needs a career year just to make the contract “fair”?

wow....seems like a fantasy bar to set.

dude averaged 38 games played the last 2 years. I think if he can stay healthy, he’s going to put up decent numbers and fit in. We’ll see.

Reactions: Calicaps

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yes and no. If he returns to his peak that's a bargain at 4m, but he does have to improve to earn what he's being paid.

That said, to me this all turned to gravy after signing TVR. As far as my brain is concerned they got the combo for less than 5m and that's fine by me.

If he returns to 2016-17 form, he's worth more than $4M. But that's the only season in his career he's been close to that good. If his returns to his typical form, it's a stretch to call him good value at $4M. In Edmonton and when he first showed up in Pittsburgh he was a defensive sieve (there's a reason he was only seeing 13min/night when he first arrived in Pitt). He put it together in 2016-17, and then the injuries troubles started sending him downhill after that.

Reactions: HandsomeTom43

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
If he returns to 2016-17 form, he's worth more than $4M. But that's the only season in his career he's been close to that good. If his returns to his typical form, he's basically pushing even if not slightly overpaid at $4M.
Sure, but I didn't choose the word peak. At peak performance 4m is a dream.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
wanna make sure I quote these “facts” for later verification....

so basically in your book, he needs a career year just to make the contract “fair”?

wow....seems like a fantasy bar to set.

dude averaged 38 games played the last 2 years. I think if he can stay healthy, he’s going to put up decent numbers and fit in. We’ll see.

Lol No, not in my book. In my book, if you take the average of his "peak" season-- his one outlier season-- with that of the following season, since that was before his injury, I believe he would have averaged 8 goals and 31 assists over roughly 70 games played. So for comparable players yeah he would be worth maybe 4.5 mil then. Since you're going to quote me, I suppose I should have chosen my words better, but I would assume that it's easy to see his 16-17 was well out of his standard deviation.

So just to be clear if he can hit 6-10 goals and 28-35 assists and 65-75 games he will be worth his money.

But since we have to rewind 4 years to his "peak", let's state facts as facts. We're paying him 4 million dollars for a combined 27 points the past two years on a team with Crosby and Malkin and others. I hope we revisit this a year later since you're pinning it to you refrigerator, and tell me how wrong I was and how I have egg all over my face because he had a 40 point season, I really hope that will be the case but I'm not optimistic.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The only thing I think is wrong is your lofty expectations of the player, just to basically break even in your estimation.

let’s see him in a Caps sweater before proclaiming failure.....or setting a bar so high at the outset so you yourself can come back and proclaim you were right....I hope that’s not the case, but I’m not optimistic. ;)

Reactions: HandsomeTom43

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
The only thing I think is wrong is your lofty expectations of the player, just to basically break even in your estimation.

let’s see him in a Caps sweater before proclaiming failure.....or setting a bar so high at the outset so you yourself can come back and proclaim you were right....I hope that’s not the case, but I’m not optimistic. ;)

If he can get back to that 16-17 season he will be a bargain. I hope I'm not right. I had a similar feeling about Orpik when we signed him, but I think my main issue was he was 32 or so and we gave him 5 years and he was possible the best physical defensemen in the league but that takes it's toll. In the end, and it took several seasons, it was definitely worth it though, I still don't believe we win the Cup without ole Brooksie.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Both are 6D NHL players. One is better and younger, the other is paid crazy/idiotic money.
Cecil has never been good. Never as in “not ever”. I know you have your idiosyncrasies about certain players.... but this is overboard.

Schultz has played a few less games in his career than Ceci, but has roughly double the points and 2 Cups to his name. Ceci has no playoff success and isn’t at all known for being an important piece on a playoff team.

they are not the same. Not even close

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don’t want ceci for 1.5
I don’t want Shultz for 4.0

I think we need more information on what Laviolette is going to be doing with these players. I dont like Schultz. I dont like him on the Caps. I trust that Laviolette and MacLellan know all the stuff about Schultz that we do and have a plan in mind. I can only guess they are changing directions in a way that makes Schultz a good fit.

I didnt like Oshie either because I thought he was a choker and a loser and that the Caps didnt need more of that.

From listening to Dillon and Schultz talk about their conversation with Lavy, it sounds like the Caps are going to play a 200ft press with an accent on keeping the puck in the offensive zone with aggressive blue line play. Maybe Schultz is perfect for that

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Cecil has never been good. Never as in “not ever”. I know you have your idiosyncrasies about certain players.... but this is overboard.

Schultz has played a few less games in his career than Ceci, but has roughly double the points and 2 Cups to his name. Ceci has no playoff success and isn’t at all known for being an important piece on a playoff team.

they are not the same. Not even close

Take it like a man:

idiotGM.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad