OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m a sucker for the Fantastic Four, loved the comic, but they cannot get a movie right for whatever reason…..I’ll still step up to the plate and watch a new one….hoping.

Can’t wait for Blade….gonna be tough to beat Snipes in that role, even though the movies weren’t outstanding or anything, but entertaining as a vampire/action franchise.

Secret Wars is another great series….hope they do it justice with the Avengers.

Too bad Jonathan Majors royally screwed up the Kang storyline. I rewatched GOG3 and actually enjoyed it more the 2nd time around. Now that’s allllllllll f’ed up. Such a talented actor…but a dumbass.

I’m hoping for The Beyonder storyline or Galactus, bring in the Shi’ar and their Imperial Guard….was a fun group in X-men, and of course The Brood storyline in X-men would be awesome.

Reactions: Neil Racki

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I’m a sucker for the Fantastic Four, loved the comic, but they cannot get a movie right for whatever reason…..I’ll still step up to the plate and watch a new one….hoping.

Can’t wait for Blade….gonna be tough to beat Snipes in that role, even though the movies weren’t outstanding or anything, but entertaining as a vampire/action franchise.

Secret Wars is another great series….hope they do it justice with the Avengers.

Too bad Jonathan Majors royally screwed up the Kang storyline. I rewatched GOG3 and actually enjoyed it more the 2nd time around. Now that’s allllllllll f’ed up. Such a talented actor…but a dumbass.

I’m hoping for The Beyonder storyline or Galactus, bring in the Shi’ar and their Imperial Guard….was a fun group in X-men, and of course The Brood storyline in X-men would be awesome.
Bolded you are an alien, heh.

Blade 2 was pretty great. Those vampires were kinda terrifying.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
The Strays - raunchy comedy w talking dogs .. just an enjoyable easy to watch raunchy comedy w talking dogs

Not Forever but for Now (book) - chuck palahniuk has really lost his fastball. I wouldnt recommend, im sure i will still buy his next offering but man, knowing what he used to write and reading the drivel now .. like watching Ovi get old.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Just finished Young Justice: Phantoms (Season 4). What a brilliant show. I know DC gets criticized for its anemic live action stuff, but if you take into consideration both live action AND animation DC is leaps and bounds ahead of the other franchises (Marvel, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc) in terms of world-building. The DC universe is rich and teeming with life and countless possible stories, thanks in no small part to shows like Young Justice.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Just finished Young Justice: Phantoms (Season 4). What a brilliant show. I know DC gets criticized for its anemic live action stuff, but if you take into consideration both live action AND animation DC is leaps and bounds ahead of the other franchises (Marvel, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc) in terms of world-building. The DC universe is rich and teeming with life and countless possible stories, thanks in no small part to shows like Young Justice.
I'm going to respectfully disagree. For me DC is for kids.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I'm going to respectfully disagree. For me DC is for kids.
DC Animated had a long stretch of being leaps and bounds better than the crop. They were virtually the only ones putting out good movies in the 2000's, maybe even the 2010's and their series runs are nothing to shake a stick at, Batman TAS is basically the animated superhero show (along with 90's Spiderman to be fair) and while it's true that they skewed for daytime broadcasts... DC Animated doesn't f*** around.

Mask of the Phantasm is a movie you can watch right now and still go "okay I'd watch that adaptation" because nobody knows about anything but the main baddies and it would work okay. Might have to spiff some stuff up but that's a good Batman, although in the flavor of the show.

DC basically spent the 2000-2010 period adapting their great content to animation instead of film while Marvel was starting the MCU. The Batman Year One/Dark Knight Returns animated set is really good and very much for adults, the subject matter is a Frank Miller comic that doesn't really lend itself to children in the hero genre, The Flashpoint Paradox is what the live action Flash film should have been if they were going to end it with an alternate universe reboot anyway but a million times better and more interesting, and would have let all the DC actors fill wildly different roles for fun as a departure (or olive branch) that I think a lot would have taken to make something really neat.

end of the day DC animated made multiple Constantine projects and has adapted a pretty good amount of PG-13+ content over time. Batman live action is really due for a Court of Owls run.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Started watching Yellowstone and just found myself so disinterested part of the way through season 3. It just gets…..boring. Same theme every season: bad guy wants land. Bad guy does bad things. Ranch figures out how to get rid of bad guy. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
The Chosen --- half way through ... meh. One big thing about this is bugging me but I assume I get the answer by films end

Why da fuq is the AI side of the world living like its 1933? Got rice fields and ox pulling carts etc .. cant AI just invent a laser and shot the human made super war ship? I guess AI is benevolent? then who are the anti AI ppl fighting?

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
end of the day DC animated made multiple Constantine projects and has adapted a pretty good amount of PG-13+ content over time.

There's just so much crap in between the rare gems. And unnecessary crap for the most part. So many of those adaptations would have worked if they'd just adapted the comic straight out (The Killing Joke, The Judas Contract, and on and on), but instead they add ridiculous and needless elements that ruin the spirit of some of the company's best source material.

And the animation doesn't hold up anymore. BTAS did it right, making the most of cheaper 2D standards that were still all that was available or affordable when that show was happening. But these days the bar has been raised so much higher. When there's truly stunning, innovative TV animation out there now AND you're adapting comics drawn by the likes of George Perez, the hacky, choppy, flat 2D stuff doesn't cut it anymore.

So you've got half-assed, rehashed scripts presented with half-assed animation that pales in comparison to the source art... I mean, if you're going to phone in the 2D stuff and abandon your decent first efforts into 3D (GL and Batman series from over a decade ago), then maybe just knock it off altogether and stop disrespecting the source material and the people who created it.

In other news...

If you like John Wick movies, The Beekeeper was pretty good, but Sisu was terrific. It's a Finnish flick from a couple years ago (90+% of the dialogue is in English), just 90 minutes long, set during WWII, and is about a retired old soldier crossing paths with Nazis. Definite First Blood vibes, but in the best possible way. I recommend it.

Anyone But You was absolute garbage. Not sure why it hit so big. The acting was atrocious.

The Netflix documentary about the night they recorded We Are The World was good, especially if you've been alive long enough to know what the hell I'm even talking about.

The Iron Claw was good, but not as good as I hoped. The acting was solid. I think someone did something to Zac Efron's face. Dude looks weird now. Is there such a thing as jaw implants?

Masters of the Air has been a bit of a letdown so far. Nowhere near what Band of Brothers was, but it does make The Pacific look better by comparison, so there's that. It's been decent overall, but I think something is lost during the air scenes (which are beautifully rendered) because you can't see the actors' faces at all, their voices are muffled, and there's about forty characters. So it's hard to keep track of which pilot you're even looking at when all these thrilling and tragic things are happening. Who just died? Was that the Elvis guy?

It did inspire me to do a rewatch of From The Earth to The Moon, which really holds up. They should definitely remake that now that so many of these young idiots don't believe we went to the moon. Since they don't teach anything in school or college anymore, TV is our last hope...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad