OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
WWE going to netflix is kindof a big deal.

And The Rock now on the BOD of the new parent company TKO (UFC and WWE)….a part of the deal, DJ now fully owns the name The Rock and its rights. Unprecedented move.

Big for sports entertainment. But it’s only RAW (and PPV’s outside the US). PPV in the US staying on Peacock as of now. Nick Khan was spilling the beans on ESPN earlier.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Started watching this waiting for the NFL playoff games to start and blasted through all of season 1, That was a fun show.
2 episodes left….love the world of monsters.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I’ve been blazing through “For All Mankind” the past couple weeks. Really well done show, with a great budget to depict the action of space exploration.

If you didn’t already know, the show is an alt-history of the space race that is compelling and unpredictable. The geopolitical implications of the alt-timeline are pretty fascinating.

There’s a large, evolving cast of characters - and jumping through the decades affords some epic characters arcs, along with sweeping changes to the narrative season-to-season (plus fun era-specific music).

Highly recommend!

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Started watching this waiting for the NFL playoff games to start and blasted through all of season 1, That was a fun show.
I must say….I think it’s better than the Godzilla/Kong movies. Great season 1.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Oldboy - was checking to see if this was age appropriate for me and 11 yr old to watch .. Elizabeth Olson has a graphic sex scene in this? I dont remember that.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Never saw the American version, but the original is definitely NOT appropriate for an 11 year old
There’s an American version? I only saw the original

lol no wonder I don’t remember Elizabeth Olson in it … or the guy from sopranos or the guy from Deadpool

I was so confused when I was checking just how unkid appropriate it was and I didn’t recognize any of it. I just chalked it up to my kush brain not remembering the movie

I feel better now …. My brain isn’t totally f***ed just mostly

• Haha
Reactions: PlushMinus

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There’s an American version? I only saw the original

lol no wonder I don’t remember Elizabeth Olson in it … or the guy from sopranos or the guy from Deadpool

I was so confused when I was checking just how unkid appropriate it was and I didn’t recognize any of it. I just chalked it up to my kush brain not remembering the movie

I feel better now …. My brain isn’t totally f***ed just mostly
Oh, so you saw the original (Korean) version the first time, and then accidentally watched the American remake when you were evaluating it for child friendliness?

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Oh, so you saw the original (Korean) version the first time, and then accidentally watched the American remake when you were evaluating it for child friendliness?

Me and my 11 yr old bond over movies.

'Dad ... Mom let me watch Kill 1 and 2 and I loved it!" - my daughter at 9. That was the day "daddy daughter movie night" forever changed. On Wednesdays, its usually just me and my daughter so we pick a movie but I have to sell it to her now .. otherwise she'll just go to her phone.

I am constantly looking/trying to remember adult-ish movies that she would like. I dont mind gore but I do not allow sex or anything remotely even implying sexual violence. lots of gore movies have some amount of sex or innuendo in there.

Watched Oldboy years ago and knew it has ultra violent but I didnt rememebr any sexual violence/rape.

I check movies when Im not sure. Google said it had an explicit sex scene w Elizabeth Olson? I dont remember Elizabeth Olson in it? So I watch the trailer and theres all these white guys and im like "how high was I when I watched this? I dont remeber any of this?"

I then switched off my works wifi on my phone and watched Olsons sex scene on xvideos .... at work, It was weird and pervy feeling. She needs to eat more often.

Then someone here mentioned the 2 versions .. and my mystery was solved.

Ive never seen and dont plan to watch the american version.

----------------------

We watched I Am Mother last night .. she was drawing and on her phone for most of it.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
If you haven't seen Muscle Shoals, do it. Incredible doc about the music studios in Muscle Shoals Alabama that launched a ridiculous amount of the music industries greatest hits. Great personal stories too, especially Rick Hall.

A lot of history I had no idea about. The Swampers are incredible.

Last edited:

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
First couple episodes of “Masters of the Air” dropped. Pretty impressive so far.

No idea if it will ultimately be as good as “Band of Brothers” (a tall order, and probably unfair expectations), but it’s off to a strong start.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Guy Ritchie's The Covenant - Big Jake Gyllenhaal fan and he did not disappoint. 8/10

The Favourite - from the guy who brought us The Lobster. Really good black comedy. 8/10

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Pedro Pascal, lead roles for the Mandalorian, the Last of Us, and now cast in the lead role for
the new "Fantastic Four" movie. Dude's going to being making George Lucas money soon:

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Pedro Pascal, lead roles for the Mandalorian, the Last of Us, and now cast in the lead role for
the new "Fantastic Four" movie. Dude's going to being make George Lucas money soon:

Fantastic Four just suck. I have no idea why the keep going back to the well with them in stand alone. Just let them be secondary players. No idea why they are taking so long to reboot the Xmen in the Marvel Universe.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Fantastic Four are very much a product of their time, and people don't have that same magical/optimistic view of science today as they did in the 50s. It's harder to translate them to the modern audience as a result. However, Dr. Doom still hits (probably harder than ever), and F4 is how they introduce Doom to the MCU.

X-Men transition is awkward because mutants sort of exist already in the MCU, but not really.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
No idea why they are taking so long to reboot the Xmen in the Marvel Universe.

Given how poorly whichever "Phase" this is of the MCU, I wish they'd just reboot the whole thing. All the original actors are done, you've started doing all the time travel/multiverse nonsense that's driven off a lot of the casual fans that weren't comic fanatics, all the original franchises are ending or doing soft reboots with new versions of the characters... It feels like it's run its course, and fans are making that clear by handing you your first financial failures.

Plus, you got the Fox properties back, the only character you don't own is Spider-Man, but Sony seems amenable to let you prolong their license for them. So you've finally got your whole universe to play with. Use the Kang story to give the MCU a fitting send-off and start over.

Start with the Fox properties because they've already been on hiatus for a while. In a world just like ours, mutants with powers start popping up. So you've got a modern "racial" crisis to parallel all the other divides we've got today. That's your X-Men story to kick things off.

So then it's about people with powers. How do we compete? Can we work with them? Can we control them? That's your Fantastic Four story. Scientists led by Victor von Doom try to figure out how to get powers, an experiment goes wrong, VvD gets muffed up, four others get powers. Boom, done.

Then the government gets into the race for powers and have one failure (Hulk) and one success (Cap). Then an engineer sees all this going on and it freaks him out, so he makes a suit of armor. Then the gods get miffed that humans are playing with forces they shouldn't be, and the secret mystical world has to come out of the shadows to protect folks for similar reasons, and so on and so on.

A grounded, relatable, connected launch to the whole thing, spread over a few years, being careful to put as much distance between the last versions and the new ones. Avoid the mindscrew (and wildly unnecessary) time travel and multiverse stuff to keep the stories accessible, take your time forming the teams and doing the crossovers...

It just seems like an obvious point to begin again given how overcooked and disappointing so much of the MCU has been lately. Why launch these new ideas into a waning universe when you can use them to start a new one?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Given how poorly whichever "Phase" this is of the MCU, I wish they'd just reboot the whole thing. All the original actors are done, you've started doing all the time travel/multiverse nonsense that's driven off a lot of the casual fans that weren't comic fanatics, all the original franchises are ending or doing soft reboots with new versions of the characters... It feels like it's run its course, and fans are making that clear by handing you your first financial failures.

Plus, you got the Fox properties back, the only character you don't own is Spider-Man, but Sony seems amenable to let you prolong their license for them. So you've finally got your whole universe to play with. Use the Kang story to give the MCU a fitting send-off and start over.

Start with the Fox properties because they've already been on hiatus for a while. In a world just like ours, mutants with powers start popping up. So you've got a modern "racial" crisis to parallel all the other divides we've got today. That's your X-Men story to kick things off.

So then it's about people with powers. How do we compete? Can we work with them? Can we control them? That's your Fantastic Four story. Scientists led by Victor von Doom try to figure out how to get powers, an experiment goes wrong, VvD gets muffed up, four others get powers. Boom, done.

Then the government gets into the race for powers and have one failure (Hulk) and one success (Cap). Then an engineer sees all this going on and it freaks him out, so he makes a suit of armor. Then the gods get miffed that humans are playing with forces they shouldn't be, and the secret mystical world has to come out of the shadows to protect folks for similar reasons, and so on and so on.

A grounded, relatable, connected launch to the whole thing, spread over a few years, being careful to put as much distance between the last versions and the new ones. Avoid the mindscrew (and wildly unnecessary) time travel and multiverse stuff to keep the stories accessible, take your time forming the teams and doing the crossovers...

It just seems like an obvious point to begin again given how overcooked and disappointing so much of the MCU has been lately. Why launch these new ideas into a waning universe when you can use them to start a new one?
Will be interesting to see if the marvel cinematic universe can simply be rebooted like Marvel comics has done a few times.

Man its going to be a while before an Xmen movie.

The apparent Phase 6 movie releases confirmed so far can be seen below:

The Fantastic Four - July 25, 2025
Blade - November 7, 2025
Untitled Marvel Movie - February 13, 2026
Avengers: The Kang Dynasty - May 1, 2026
Untitled Marvel Movie - July 24, 2026
Untitled Marvel Movie - November 11, 2026
Avengers: Secret Wars - May 7, 2027
Despite being absent from the slate as it will be distributed by Sony Pictures, Tom Holland's Spider-Man 4 is expected to fall into Phase 6, with no release date confirmed at this time as the writing process continues.

Armor Wars and Shang-Chi 2 are likely candidates to slide into two of the "Untitled Marvel Movie" dates, while sequels such as Eternals 2 and Doctor Strange 3 could be options to take the third open release.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad