OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Stuff like Saltburn is admittedly the type of genre I have to be in a certain mood for. At some point I'll give it a watch.
My sister recommended it to me at Christmas, but also said, like, "I don't recommend this because you'll like it but you need to watch it, don't even think of this recommendation when you do" and I got all weird about it

Reactions: Neil Racki

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
1704828532034.jpeg

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Its CES time the next big thing after the WJCs. Below is a good run down on the OLED stuff. The whole MLA coming to LG oled monitors sounds kinda sweet even though HDR400 tru black on my Alienware QDOLED seems fine enough.

• Wow
Reactions: shtorm2005

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Its CES time the next big thing after the WJCs. Below is a good run down on the OLED stuff. The whole MLA coming to LG oled monitors sounds kinda sweet even though HDR400 tru black on my Alienware QDOLED seems fine enough.

3,000? Lol, 1,000 is too bright for me. 400 is enough

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Society of Snow - like a 7/10 ... the makeup/costumes etc were so on point. We did feel like we were stuck with them and so cold.

Dialogue scenes got a good bit repetitive ..

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
***WARNING Game of Thrones spoilers***

I’m on the last season (8) of my great Game of Thrones rewatch, 4 episodes left…..show holds up, so f’ing good.

I should have taken notes along the way. Too many awesome moments to remember.

Least favorite seasons 1 and 5…..1 had some greatness (and so does 5), but at times 1 seems clearly lower budget (I’m 100% sure it was). Dire wolves looked so bad….I feel like they could fix that issue with today’s effects technology and just make them bigger, more imposing as they should have been then.

Season 5, the Sparrow angle….hated it then, hate it now. Probably my personal distaste for religious fanaticism.

Otherwise just some great episodes throughout the series…..Battle of the Blackwater, Battle of the Bastards, dragon taking down the wall was sick. The episode where the Great War starts at Winterfell in is cool on so many levels, so many relationship come full circle I had forgotten the emotions they elicit. The somberness and dark mood, but also the incredible resolve you feel before is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Tormund is so awesome and hilarious as a character, but there are just so many characters overall that were incredible, too many to name.

Probably my biggest beef was how much time was wasted on Daenerys freeing slaver cities and trudging around infighting with the Dothraki. Also traipsing around with Bran and that story booooored me mostly, but he comes full circle and his abilities blossom and he‘s invaluable.

The Long Night, season 8, high end movie quality stuff. Wow. (and 1:32 long)

Last edited:

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
book Blood Meridian - finished it last night. Im editing my post bc after finishing it and watching some podcasts .. id def recommend it but with the warnings that yall gave me.

Some of the passages and writing, particularly the celebration of gore, was captivating. The characters were really interesting, from the smart people tellling me what the characters represent .. i get a but more.

Didnt enjoy the long repetitive passages describing the landscape using obscure landscape/environmental words that ive never heard before. Beyond my enjoyment reading comprehension.

------

Chuck Palahniuks new book is out .. only $14 for the hardcover so i ordered that. Chuck's been slipping since the days of choke and rant but i dont read much and hes the author that got me reading again in my 30s so i am teethered to him a bit.

-----------

Book i highly recommend - Dowtown Owl by chuck Klosterman .. and holy crap they made it into a movie last year?

Last edited:
Reactions: usiel

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
book Blood Meridian - read about 80 pages when I first got it .. finally was able to take a good run at this weekend.

About 50 pages left .. this book is torture. Just repeates itself over and over. 10 pages of descriptive landscape writing as they travel through mexico, 10 pages describing the half deserted town they come upon, 10 pages of them eating, drinking, killing . then they leave town and we are back to 10 pages of descriptive writing about the landscape as they travel on .. new town etc

I dont care what happens to the kid or judge or any character.
I've only read a few McCarthy books, but the general consensus among readers I know is: "If you haven't read McCarthy, absolutely DO NOT read Blood Meridian first. If you've read a little McCarthy, read more before reading Blood Meridian." It is, apparently, a notoriously difficult read (even by McCarthy's standards). But I wouldn't know, because the book has been sitting on my To-Read Pile of Shame for years now.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
***WARNING Game of Thrones spoilers***

I’m on the last season (8) of my great Game of Thrones rewatch, 4 episodes left…..show holds up, so f’ing good.

I should have taken notes along the way. Too many awesome moments to remember.

Least favorite seasons 1 and 5…..1 had some greatness (and so does 5), but at times 1 seems clearly lower budget (I’m 100% sure it was). Dire wolves looked so bad….I feel like they could fix that issue with today’s effects technology and just make them bigger, more imposing as they should have been then.

Season 5, the Sparrow angle….hated it then, hate it now. Probably my personal distaste for religious fanaticism.

Otherwise just some great episodes throughout the series…..Battle of the Blackwater, Battle of the Bastards, dragon taking down the wall was sick. The episode where the Great War starts at Winterfell in is cool on so many levels, so many relationship come full circle I had forgotten the emotions they elicit. The somberness and dark mood, but also the incredible resolve you feel before is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Tormund is so awesome and hilarious as a character, but there are just so many characters overall that were incredible, too many to name.

Probably my biggest beef was how much time was wasted on Daenerys freeing slaver cities and trudging around infighting with the Dothraki. Also traipsing around with Bran and that story booooored me mostly, but he comes full circle and his abilities blossom and he‘s invaluable.

The Long Night, season 8, high end movie quality stuff. Wow. (and 1:32 long)

Despite all the criticism S8 gets, I still enjoyed it and was sad when it was all over, I wanted more. It remains my favorite series ever and there are that half dozen or more episodes scattered throughout that just blow you away like almost nothing else. Hardhome (s5E8) was one for me. Also And Now His Watch Has Ended (S3E4) and The Children (S4 finale) as well - those episodes were just about perfection to me.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

Started watching this waiting for the NFL playoff games to start and blasted through all of season 1, That was a fun show.

Reactions: RedRocking

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Started watching this waiting for the NFL playoff games to start and blasted through all of season 1, That was a fun show.
I’m on it! Thanks for the reminder!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad