OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Is it worth buying disney+ for the new Mighty Ducks series?
Haven't seen it yet so can't comment but there's so much on Disney+ that you'll enjoy it as an adult, I think, at least for a few months regardless of how the new Mighty Ducks series is. I was skeptical at first but there's just so much more content than I was expecting like alll of the Star Wars and Marvel content as well as every Pixar movie ever made plus older Disney movies you completely forgot were Disney or were acquired by Disney like Cool Runnings, Remember the Titans, Miracle, The Sound of Music, The Greatest Showman, etc. Worth it at the price to give it a shot, imo.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Haven't seen it yet so can't comment but there's so much on Disney+ that you'll enjoy it as an adult, I think, at least for a few months regardless of how the new Mighty Ducks series is. I was skeptical at first but there's just so much more content than I was expecting like alll of the Star Wars and Marvel content as well as every Pixar movie ever made plus older Disney movies you completely forgot were Disney or were acquired by Disney like Cool Runnings, Remember the Titans, Miracle, The Sound of Music, The Greatest Showman, etc. Worth it at the price to give it a shot, imo.

Heck Disney+ is almost worth it for two seasons of Cosmos. The boy loves that show.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Good Nat Geo stuff on there as well. Tons of Nature and some archaeology-type documentaries/docu-series. I'm also a sucker for Wicked Tuna, particular the Outer Banks version.

For those who have it and haven't watched, the Imagineering docu-series is absolutely fascinating.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I won’t. I’m a sucker for horror. I’ve watched waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse LOL.

not sure Rock is believable but Lionsgate is one of my favorites...that studio does well in this genre for my tastes.
I don’t do these types of movies after Seven. That movie ****ed with my head. The Lust scene in particular.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The wife and I have started our annual watch of all the Best Picture nominees. Two down so far:

Sound of Metal - agree with everyone here. Excellent movie and Riz Ahmed was terrific. As effective a use of Sound Editing as you'll ever watch -it's an absolute lock to win that Oscar

Promising Young Woman
- Basically a B-movie with some moments of beautiful visuals. Completely unsympathetic attempt at an anti-hero, with a dry, one-and-a-half note performance from the main actress. Disgraceful this got a nomination over The White Tiger. Not even in the same league. And this must have been an especially shallow year for female performances if Carey Mulligan was nominated for Best Actress.

Reactions: tenken00

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The wife and I have started our annual watch of all the Best Picture nominees. Two down so far:

Sound of Metal - agree with everyone here. Excellent movie and Riz Ahmed was terrific. As effective a use of Sound Editing as you'll ever watch -it's an absolute lock to win that Oscar

Promising Young Woman
- Basically a B-movie with some moments of beautiful visuals. Completely unsympathetic attempt at an anti-hero, with a dry, one-and-a-half note performance from the main actress. Disgraceful this got a nomination over The White Tiger. Not even in the same league. And this must have been an especially shallow year for female performances if Carey Mulligan was nominated for Best Actress.
The White Tiger was fantastic. It might have been you who provided the suggestion, so thanks for that. Felt all the feels during that movie.

Wife and I started Shtisel on Netflix. Only a few episodes in but really enjoying it so far.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Promising Young Woman

I've been slacking on my Best Picture nominee viewings this year, but I did watch Minari since it's about Korean immigrants to America back in the 80's and 90's. I've laughed a few times because I've experienced a lot of the exact same things growing up although this takes place in Arkansas or Missouri, which is a little bit different than Greater Washington DC in the 80's and 90's (although DC back then was drastically different as well). For example, I have said at one point that Mountain Dew is magical spring water from the mountain when I was young :laugh:. The nectar of life. But yeah.. I'm not sure what exactly people would think of it.. it's such a niche background - although it's true to the overall feel of immigration during that era was like. The movie was not particularly eventful, just the worries and stress that comes with moving to a new place.

Long story short, I felt like it was an ok movie, just might be a little boring if you don't know the nuances because it's such a niche segment of the population. It does have its moments though and it's a good movie. I'm just not sure if it's a Best Picture winner.. though like I said, I haven't watched any of the others so far. But that's just me.

I know, I know. I'll get around to watching Nomadland and Mank.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Finally found time to watch the Snyder Cut of Justice League. A million times better than the original. Biggest downfall was the 4 hour run time, but I think they could have cut the movie down to around 3 hours easily for a theatrical release.

DC dumb as hell for not making the Snyder Cut cannon and making their next set of movies follow his storyline.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Finally found time to watch the Snyder Cut of Justice League. A million times better than the original. Biggest downfall was the 4 hour run time, but I think they could have cut the movie down to around 3 hours easily for a theatrical release.

DC dumb as hell for not making the Snyder Cut cannon and making their next set of movies follow his storyline.

Too many cooks in the kitchen probably.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Too many cooks in the kitchen probably.
That’s what it seems like. Marvel has Feige and to a lesser extent the Russo Brothers. Snyder did a pretty solid job with the Snyder Cut. It’s a shame he didn’t get a chance to finish Justin League given the circumstances with his daughters death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad