Canucks Training Camp: Day 2 Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

I think people started (for some odd reason) never loved him because he wasn't the goon they thought he was? I like his hustle, good work in the D zone, could be a solid PK....what else do we want from a waiver wire guy?

The whole time I knew he wasn't going to be a goon.

He has scoring pedigree at the AHL level, finishes his checks, will fight (even though he's not great at it). I think he could be a Hansen-esque player, but one who'll actually drop the mitts, and at 200+lbs his hits hurt more, ask Alex Plante.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
Hopefully our D will stay healthy this year. Kinda worried about the second line but if Kesler recovers, it ought to be fine... we'll see I guess.

Are there any updates on what is wrong with kesler? A time line? I know he skated today (lightly) which is probably a good sign.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think the 2nd line should be Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian going into the season. Booth may need some time out. Something like this:

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Kostopolous (;))-Malhotra-Weise

The early start will hinge on that 2nd line doing something offensively. Not great, but when you have injuries to Booth + Kesler and you need to recoup assets from a Luongo deal, it's not dire either.

Why would we do that? That was essentially the 2nd line for the Chicago Wolves a couple weeks ago, and they weren't exactly an offensive powerhouse at the AHL level. Do you expect Raymond to be the difference maker that makes that line suddenly work at the NHL level? Not a chance. Both Kassian and Schroeder need to be surrounded by established NHLers, so in other words they should not be playing on the same line.

If Booth and Kesler both miss time to start the season, I think it puts added pressure on Gillis to move Luongo. But, assuming that doesn't happen, I'd go with this:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Raymond-Schroeder-Burrows
Higgins-Malhotra-Kassian
Volpatti-Lapierre-Weise

You could feasibly switch Kassian and Hansen when Kassian is on his game, but Hansen has worked quite well with the twins in stretches of last season. Having two fast, defensively responsible wingers next to Schroeder will help him big time. It will create him a lot of space when entering the zone and give him the option to flip the puck into the corners if need be.

The 3rd line is very solid, especially if Malhotra returns to form. And I'd consider that 4th line even to be above average.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Are there any updates on what is wrong with kesler? A time line? I know he skated today (lightly) which is probably a good sign.

Skating isn't the problem. He's coming off wrist and shoulder ailments, so shooting and contact are the issue. Apparently all he did today was light stick handling. Sounds like he's got a long way to go.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
Skating isn't the problem. He's coming off wrist and shoulder ailments, so shooting and contact are the issue. Apparently all he did today was light stick handling. Sounds like he's got a long way to go.

Ugh. Well I guess this could work if the canucks can create a somewhat decent second line. If kesler comes back healthy and rested for the playoffs he could be dominant.

HFCanucks

Jan 7, 2013
The last report I heard on kesler was that he was still feeling pain in his shoulder. Mostly when he tried to lift it above his head. He did snap a few shots at the net today. They were not hard shots but they did have enough velocity to give me hope that its getting better.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The whole time I knew he wasn't going to be a goon.

He has scoring pedigree at the AHL level, finishes his checks, will fight (even though he's not great at it). I think he could be a Hansen-esque player, but one who'll actually drop the mitts, and at 200+lbs his hits hurt more, ask Alex Plante.

I think it's just how he came here: waiver wire pick-up, put on a 4th line, and not a well-known prospect. People assumed he was a filler 4th liner who was almost 30.

I remember some on here arguing with me that Volpatti had more potential because he was younger and a rookie.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It was definitely that Weise was a waiver guy and not a name. If a Canuck pick had put up his AHL numbers, this board would think he was the second coming. Instead everyone assumed he was a career minor leaguer on a stopover on his way to Europe. The fact that most people totally ignored the context in which he was used (absolutely ridiculously low percentage of O-zone starts) didn't help either. Guy will be a useful NHLer.

Also, that people thought Volpatti was younger says a whole lot, since Weise is like 3 years younger.

Also, I haven't really looked, but I'd imagine that a lot of the "AV hates young players and never gives them a change" we're the same ones screaming about how AV was an idiot for keeping Weise around.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Why would we do that? That was essentially the 2nd line for the Chicago Wolves a couple weeks ago, and they weren't exactly an offensive powerhouse at the AHL level. Do you expect Raymond to be the difference maker that makes that line suddenly work at the NHL level? Not a chance. Both Kassian and Schroeder need to be surrounded by established NHLers, so in other words they should not be playing on the same line.

If Booth and Kesler both miss time to start the season, I think it puts added pressure on Gillis to move Luongo. But, assuming that doesn't happen, I'd go with this:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Raymond-Schroeder-Burrows
Higgins-Malhotra-Kassian
Volpatti-Lapierre-Weise

You could feasibly switch Kassian and Hansen when Kassian is on his game, but Hansen has worked quite well with the twins in stretches of last season. Having two fast, defensively responsible wingers next to Schroeder will help him big time. It will create him a lot of space when entering the zone and give him the option to flip the puck into the corners if need be.

The 3rd line is very solid, especially if Malhotra returns to form. And I'd consider that 4th line even to be above average.

So your answer is to break up the top line? Nope.

That 2nd line is better, but the 3rd and 4th lines are worse IMO. Lapierre can play more of a 2way game than Malhotra can, who is more defensive zone guy. A Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen line is a very strong 3rd line. Able to go with tough competition. You can throw them up against stiff competition and shelter the 2nd line somewhat, which would allow it to get some points.

Raymond doesn't have to be a difference maker. He only needs to be 2nd line capable, which he is. Schroeder and Kassian are fine in a sheltered 2nd line role, and there's no rule that you cannot play two rookies together (which technically Kassian isn't BTW).

I think that the Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian second line is good enough in the meantime, but then I'm higher on Schroeder than most.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I don't remember hearing hardly a word about Weise around here during this offseason except for him crushing it in Tilsburg. I thought we all liked Weise. Where was all this anti-Weise sentiment?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I don't remember hearing hardly a word about Weise around here during this offseason except for him crushing it in Tilsburg. I thought we all liked Weise. Where was all this anti-Weise sentiment?

I mean it was more towards the end of last season and in the off-season before the lockout.

I remember seeing a bunch of people not wanting to re-sign him and not including him in possible lineups for this season.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

There was a ton of it. Like half the fan base thought Volpatti was a better player (and apparently younger and with more potential... which I don't even know what to say about). And it was even worse during the season last year.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
There was a ton of it. Like half the fan base thought Volpatti was a better player (and apparently younger and with more potential... which I don't even know what to say about). And it was even worse during the season last year.

Hmm, i guess not enough people remember this Weise goal?

galiano

Mar 12, 2003
why do you ask ?
Visit site
Just looked up Dale Weisse on Hockey Fights. He had 8 fights last season and his record was
1 draw and 7 losses. Someone should tell him not to fight any more before he gets killed.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
coach a.v said he's gonna try to put edler on the right side to play alongside jay garrison for this season.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto

WARNING: The following link will take you to CDC.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/335359-weise-or-volpatti/

Not sure what the general consensus was here on HF but I imagine some of the same arguments were being brought up (ie. better fighter, "good BC boy", etc...)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Man I'm so useless as a scout. I just enjoy the speed at which these guys can play the game, and especially appreciate it since I started playing hockey myself 5 years ago. But without names/numbers I can barely tell who's who out there, let alone track each player :laugh:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
hopefully Pinnizotto can stay healthy and play on the forth line.

I don't think he'll be playing with the Canucks this season.
He's currently injured and there wont be room for him if the Canucks acquire a 3rd line center (bumping Lapierre to the 4th line).

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Man I'm so useless as a scout. I just enjoy the speed at which these guys can play the game, and especially appreciate it since I started playing hockey myself 5 years ago. But without names/numbers I can barely tell who's who out there, let alone track each player :laugh:

I mainly look for a few indicators.

1. Height/weight
2. Stick handedness
3. Visor/no visor
4. Beard/no beard
5. Kassian's hair coming out of his helmet
6. And for some of them: skating style (IE. Bieksa)

And once you know who is who, just remember which color jersey they're wearing (blue or green).

Schroeder is the smallest guy there and is right handed.
Ebbett is small, has a beard, and is left handed.
etc...

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
CDC is a cesspool of a forum. For every reasonable and intelligent poster, there's about 50 raging idiots.
Like when HF was going nuts over the Barker signing? CDC was actually a lot more calm. It was pretty funny.

The main difference between the two forums is that hf's moderation doesn't put up with nonsense.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Like when HF was going nuts over the Barker signing? CDC was actually a lot more calm. It was pretty funny.

The main difference between the two forums is that hf's moderation doesn't put up with nonsense.

Unless it is directed at Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad