Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
xcro04.jpg

never forget

I agree with this comment: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=52204397&postcount=50
:sarcasm:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=650350

Vancouver, B.C. – The Vancouver Canucks released the following practice information for Tuesday, January 15th at Rogers Arena. Rosters and practice times are subject to change.

Group B on-ice - 9:00 – 9:45 am

Group A on-ice - 11:00 am – 12:30 pm

GROUP A on-ice - 11:00 am – 12:30 pm

Details: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/depthchart.htm?dcid=82

D. Sedin, H. Sedin, A. Burrows
M. Raymond, A. Ebbett/J. Schroeder, D. Booth
C. Higgins, M. Lapierre, J. Hansen
A. Volpatti, M. Malhotra, D. Weise

K. Connauton, K. Bieksa
K. Ballard, C. Tanev
J. Garrison, A. Edler
A. Alberts, C. Barker

R. Luongo, C. Schneider

GROUP B on-ice - 9:00 – 9:45 am

Details: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/depthchart.htm?dcid=83

B. Sweatt, A. Gordon
D. Archibald, A. Rodin

P. Andersson, D. Joslin
K. Connauton, F. Corrado

J. Cannata

So pretty much the exact same as today, except Booth is back and Kassian is sitting it out.
Either his back still hurts or the Canucks sent him down (which I really doubt).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It was definitely that Weise was a waiver guy and not a name. If a Canuck pick had put up his AHL numbers, this board would think he was the second coming. Instead everyone assumed he was a career minor leaguer on a stopover on his way to Europe. The fact that most people totally ignored the context in which he was used (absolutely ridiculously low percentage of O-zone starts) didn't help either. Guy will be a useful NHLer.

Also, that people thought Volpatti was younger says a whole lot, since Weise is like 3 years younger.

Also, I haven't really looked, but I'd imagine that a lot of the "AV hates young players and never gives them a change" we're the same ones screaming about how AV was an idiot for keeping Weise around.

Yup.

Weise was a great pickup last season. He had some stretches of games where he was a terrific bottom-6 forward - physical without taking penalties, good defensively, stuck up for teammates, decent offensive skills. There's a lot to work with there.

He also had some stretches where he blended into the woodwork, which is completely normal for a rookie in his first NHL season. But even then, he wasn't hurting the team.

I mean it was more towards the end of last season and in the off-season before the lockout.

I remember seeing a bunch of people not wanting to re-sign him and not including him in possible lineups for this season.

It was because people want a goon who wins fights, and get irrationally angry when a Canuck loses a fight.

Winning fights is irrelevent. I'll take a Dale Weise who sticks his nose in for a teammate and loses over a spot-picker like Bieksa who wins every fight, every day of the week.

Whether he wins or loses, Weise was being a big-time team-first guy and keeping the other team honest. Major points to him.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I never understood the Weise had either, he was a terrific waiver pickup. Could be worked into a Hansen but so far he has shown enough sense to cycle well, gets physical and isn't afraid to take the puck to the net. He should absolutely be in our 4th line.

StringerBell

I take it Booth's MRI went well this afternoon if he's penciled in to skate tomorrow.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
There was a ton of it. Like half the fan base thought Volpatti was a better player (and apparently younger and with more potential... which I don't even know what to say about). And it was even worse during the season last year.

Nope you forgot about that discussion. Most agreed Weise is the better hockey player and younger (birthdates don't lie).

But whether he is a better fit for the 4th line is a different discussion.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I never understood the Weise had either, he was a terrific waiver pickup. Could be worked into a Hansen but so far he has shown enough sense to cycle well, gets physical and isn't afraid to take the puck to the net. He should absolutely be in our 4th line.

If my memory serves correct, he stunk and while willing to stand up for his teammates he couldn't really fight either.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
It was because people want a goon who wins fights, and get irrationally angry when a Canuck loses a fight.

Winning fights is irrelevent. I'll take a Dale Weise who sticks his nose in for a teammate and loses over a spot-picker like Bieksa who wins every fight, every day of the week.

Whether he wins or loses, Weise was being a big-time team-first guy and keeping the other team honest. Major points to him.

That's not true, everything is relevant.

Hockey is about momentum, if winning a fight can pump up a crowd and hence give a positive impact on the team, then it matters.

But its not clear cut. You can still gain momentum if you lose a fight. For example if Daniel Sedin fights Chara, gets beat up. But comes back the next fight not worse for wear, that might pump up the team and make them play better.

If having a tough player will allow your teammates to play braver, then it matters. On the other hand, if your team lacks toughness, and players are playing more soft, then its obvious you lack toughness on the team.

I give a bunch of credit to Weise as well. He really stepped up in the Bruins game.

At the end of the day, you do want 1 or a few players that can fight WELL, to handle the certain situations.

Makes senses that some canucks seemed to have helped with the Vandermeer acquisition. And his main trait is his toughness and ability to fight heavyweights.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
BFFS for life.

I love garrisons beard. I can't wait to see it 3 rounds deep.:handclap:

That thing is impressive. 3 rounds deep? Maybe it can reach Shea Weber potential and then just put him on the ice with a plaid shirt and a toque and he can be our mascot during intermissions.

Thanks for the reports today guys. Garrison is sounding impressive. My first impression was that he looks absolutely solid on his skates and with his full equipment on, he looks like a football player on the ice.

Jan1413_BTL_7_slide.jpg

Glares from AV, Ballard in the dog house already :laugh:

--------------

Guys ticket reservations are up for scrimmages: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=85897

Buy Buy Buy! Its free BTW. =D

Last edited:

CanucksOo

Jul 29, 2006
California
So early indiciations are that Garrison came as advertised. Excellent! Not only should his shot help on the PP, but he adds a much needed defensive anchor to the 2nd pairing. And god forbid should Hamhuis get injured, we are in a much better shape to absorb his tough minutes.

John Bender*

What ever happend to the Tom Kotsopolous rumours? Would love to see him in the bottom 6. Rugged and scrappy and not a scrub - more of what the team needs.

ZenMaster*

Jason Garrison's nickname: Johnny Canuck

who else thinks he looks like the perfect depiction of what Johnny Canuck would look like with that grizzled beard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad