Canucks Training Camp: Day 2 Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
Ill upload some pictures later, but I woke up at 7:00am, and got to the stadium right when it started (coffin + muffins > life).

Prospects (early morning)

There were only two standouts, the first was frank Corrado (shocker), his skating is very very smooth, and has a much harder shot then people realize.

Actually his slapshot BROKE the glass very early on, which they had to replace after a hour or so.

The second standout was Joe Cannata who was very good in net, making significant amount of saves, but then again with no real nhl players, it's hard to judge. He has very good side 2 side movement.

Main Roster

Sedins - They were the sedins, crisp passing, movement and skating, not much to say here (except one redic pass by hank and goal by weise(drill) which got the crowd going).
Burrows - IMO He struggled for the majority of the camp, he fell down a few times, missed open nets, and skated slow (like he did not care). Then like a switch he turned it on and had a absolute snipe on a one timer near the end.
Raymond - Skated really well, made a few nice plays on the outside which he blew by tanev(I believe), Still fell down a ton with a few laughs by the crowd.
Ebbett - Similar to raymond without the falling, but needs to improve his passing significantly.
Kassian - He struggled badly today, Looked very slow, lost the puck many times, had a poor shot, and got outworked on both ends of the ice (on nearly all the drills), created very little, bad day
JS - His speed is clearly his number 1 attribute, he was flying out there and I noticed his defensive play was much much better, but still missed a ton of shots wide, and had issues making "plays" happen during the full line rushes near the end.
Booth - Was not on the ice.
Higgins - Did not notice him on the ice at all, like a ghost, not bad or good really, skated well just nothing happened.
Lappy - Smiles and giggles the whole time, skated very well, nothing stood out, overall solid.
Hansen - Did not see much of him, was focusing on others.
Volpatti - Same as Hansen
Malhotra - Skated much better this year then last year, crisp passes also, impressive day.
Weise - His skating has improved, His turn speed was one of the most obvious improvements, I think it's because he was in mid season form already, He WILL be on the fourth line this year starting.
Bieksa - Solid but sloppy, Clear rush, skated odd, fell down at least 3 times, barely hit (surprising). Except of course then he absolutely BULLED over luongo, luongo was down for a bit, both ended up laughing.
Hamhuis - Steady, best skater on the team by far, fluent, he is ready for the season. (expect Bieksa + Hamhuis pairing)
Edler - Never got beat once, was the 2nd best D-man today behind garrison, played strong and smart. (Garrison WILL pair with Edler)
Garrison - I don't have enough words to talk about how good garrison was today, He was drilling everything that moved, he crushed raymond on at least 3 occasions, and absolutely torpedoed Kassian near the end. He scored a nice goal early on, and was by far the best positional D-man in all the drills, This guy was a complete treat. Also like to mention, garrison unloaded some BOMBS at the end of practice, nearly hit like 3 people in the crowd when it reamed around the glass, had a few snipes, His shot was like Salo, powerful beyond words.
Ballard - Seemed much more comfortable, played solid, skated well, improved his shot.
Tanev - Invisible Tanev, nothing stood out good or bad.
Cory Schneider - He is one quick *********, His turning from side to side along the posts is lightning quick, was very good positionally, made a few nice saves (no highlight reals like.....)
Luongo - Made a few brilliant saves, and also joked around when a puck was going in slow motion where he leg it go between his legs. Very quick and solid, and got a nice LUUU chant when he went on the ice.
Kesler - Came out at the end to a huge cheer, skated slowing, and shot slowly, barely any movement.

I hope that helped guys.

Funny your reports compared to AV we're completely opposite. AV has never bene known one to lie to the media and he said Kass ws solid. I'm going to go with AV here.

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=192948

Not sure what Luc was watching........1:30 min mark "He was really Solid today."

Last edited:

Scottrockztheworld*

Jason Garrison's nickname: Johnny Canuck

who else thinks he looks like the perfect depiction of what Johnny Canuck would look like with that grizzled beard?

JasonCanuck_zpse5832c20.jpg

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Malhotra is stacked in person. Easily one of the fittest guys on the team. You wanna see big legs? Check out Volpatti in this pic, him and Lappy (from other pics) are looking like they've beefed up real nice for the season.

Manny-Soccer.jpg

Raymond's a twig. :laugh: :shakehead

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
:sarcasm:
Different opinions? or maybe he said that so he keeps his confidence high?.

Doubt it considering he called out all our other prospects before and he's called out Kass before. Don't see AV all of a sudden having a change of how coaches. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Doubt it considering he called out all our other prospects before and he's called out Kass before. Don't see AV all of a sudden having a change of how coaches.

Is this really necessary? He saw what he saw. If you you don't like his reports then go there on your own and post your own reports. What an entitled bunch of ***** around here.

There are polite ways to disagree with someone without coming across as a giant ****.

Last edited:

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Is this really necessary? He saw what he saw. If you you don't like his reports then go there on your own and post your own reports. What an entitled bunch of ***** around here.

There are polite ways to disagree with someone without coming across as a giant ****.

I agree completely. I find it quite interesting to read post game thoughts, as often people focus on different elements of a players game than I do, leading to rather different opinions on performance.

No need to do anything other than point out that Vigneult saw Kassian's performance differently.

Keep em coming!

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Malhotra is stacked in person. Easily one of the fittest guys on the team. You wanna see big legs? Check out Volpatti in this pic, him and Lappy (from other pics) are looking like they've beefed up real nice for the season.

Manny-Soccer.jpg

Is that Connauton in the squat rack?

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
Funny your reports compared to AV we're completely opposite. AV has never bene known one to lie to the media and he said Kass ws solid. I'm going to go with AV here.

Not sure what Luc was watching........1:30 min mark "He was really Solid today."

Didnt watch the clip but, maybe "he was solid today" considering the circumstances(back), and perhaps coach told him to take it easy because of that.

craigcaulks*

I didn't see Kassian as solid by any means, but not as awful as Luc seems to think. But when your job is to be a bull in a china shop, you can't really expect much in day 2 of training camp.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Kassian is not going to go bonkers on his teammates. Just wait until there is an enemy in front of him. This is his game. Pissed off and rowdy, hard to do that against your teammates in training camp.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I didn't see Kassian as solid by any means, but not as awful as Luc seems to think. But when your job is to be a bull in a china shop, you can't really expect much in day 2 of training camp.

I have to agree.
I was keeping a close eye on Kassian and Schroeder, and in no way was Kassian horrible.
He wasn't great, but me thinks it's because of his back (he's sitting out today).

craigcaulks*

I have to agree.
I was keeping a close eye on Kassian and Schroeder, and in no way was Kassian horrible.
He wasn't great, but me thinks it's because of his back (he's sitting out today).

Apparently some of us need to get a job, lol.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Hey guys, just a quick question. For the scrimmages, do we pick up,tickets at the arena, first come first serve style , or can we get them online? Thanks in advance!

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Kassian is not going to go bonkers on his teammates. Just wait until there is an enemy in front of him. This is his game. Pissed off and rowdy, hard to do that against your teammates in training camp.

I just don't think we're going to see that side of Kassian much as a Canuck. Maybe he's too worried about getting a suspension or taking a dumb penalty? I still remember when there was a scrum near the Canucks bench and AV's hand creeping over Kassian's shoulder as he was on the bench.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I just don't think we're going to see that side of Kassian much as a Canuck. Maybe he's too worried about getting a suspension or taking a dumb penalty? I still remember when there was a scrum near the Canucks bench and AV's hand creeping over Kassian's shoulder as he was on the bench.

He's just a pup. At 21/22 whatever he is now, he has a ways to go, Vigneault has to coach him and tell him to pick his spots. You can be a physical force and not take penalties and suspensions, just takes time to learn how to do it.

They acquired Kassian becuase he had a unique skill set and a very high aggression level, they won't stifle this, but it needs to be molded.

CookieCrumbs*

I agree, AV is keeping him on a leash. You can't do that with a player like this if you want to bring pure aggression to your team. Let him play the way he plays. It's frustrating to see.

craigcaulks*

I agree, AV is keeping him on a leash. You can't do that with a player like this if you want to bring pure aggression to your team. Let him play the way he plays. It's frustrating to see.

I'd say it's the opposite, you don't need a guy going off the handle all the time. Take the aggression and channel it towards things that will help you win games, not entertain our bloodlust. Or in other words, coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->